Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Thinking of purchasing a Satmap Active 10...some questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinking of purchasing a Satmap Active 10...some questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psychopomp1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Thinking of purchasing a Satmap Active 10...some questions Reply with quote

Hello Folks,

I currently use my ancient but trusted Garmin 12 unit for walking in the Scottish Highlands (mostly around Glen Affric and Aviemore) but want to upgrade to a modern unit with mapping. Initially i was set on getting the Garmin GPSMap 60CSx for my needs but now i'm very tempted to get satmap primarily because of OS mapping. However i have some questions before i make up my mind:

1) If i do buy the unit, i intend to remove the screen cover permanently and then buy a Zagg invisible shield to put on the screen..i already use a Zagg shield on my mobile phone and its VERY impressive at preventing scratches. Bearing in mind that my unit will only ever get wet in rain, is this recommended?

2) I like to use Sanyo Eneloop 2000 mAh AA rechargeables (low discharge batteries) for all my electronics, how does these fare with the Satmap? (if anyone is using them)

3) I know the satmap is not primarily designed as a car sat nav, but can it be used in the car? If so i guess i would need to purchase 1:25k mapping and ensure that i have postcode function available on my unit? (either by upgrading software on standard unit or buying the plus version)

4) I have heard that the older units took a few minutes to lock onto satellites (cold start). is this still the case with the newer units/firmware? I hope its not the case as even my old tattered Garmin 12 acquires satellites in less than 2 minutes from cold start.

Thanks for your help! Laughing
dungbeetle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Personally I'd stick with the screen cover as it offers better protection against physical damage.

2) Can't help you there I'm afraid, as I use the Satmap lithium battery pack.

3) While the unit does work in a car, it doesn't give directions the way a true in-car sat nav does. You'll spend most of your time peering at the screen trying to figure out where you are and where you need to go next. Obviously not recommended when driving, unless you have a passenger to read the map for you.

4) Mine generally locks on within a few minutes. For best results, be outside and stationary while it searches for satellites.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the screen cover in place, if that gets scratched they are easy to change and don't cost a great deal, IIRC about £15 for three. Its not just there for protection against scratches but offers physical protection against knocks and bangs.

I have used lots of different batteries in my unit, the best throw away cells are the Energiser Lithium batteries, but for value for money the SatMap LiPol battery pack is a great addition to the device, at 2700mAr it will offer around 30% longer than the cells you are considering fitting. Also bear in mind the battery charge status indicator, it might work accuratly for your 200mA cells but then again it might not, so carry some spare cells with you on any longer walks.

Mounting it in a car is an issue, I wouldn't have thought you need the 25K scale maps though 50K should be fine for use in a car, but bear in mind no instructions or route.

Mine is an early model active10 and I switch it on placing it on the car roof, in the time it takes to get my boots on the device has acquired a position fix so no big issue with the TTFF - Mike
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Don't remove the scratch protection screen, place the Zagg protectors on the screen and replace the plastic protection screen.

2) I use 7 day shop own brand 2800 rechargable batteries - cheap but excellent long life.

3) Satmap not a replacement for a car satmap by any means

4) Satellite fix time - not an issue.
psychopomp1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, i'm now about to take the plunge and buy one.

Outdoor world are selling the A10 for £269.95 which includes all national parks 1:50k SD card, the deluxe case and 8 duracell batteries. Is this a good deal, considering Amazon are selling just the unit for £284.99?

Also i read somewhere that the deluxe case is not that good, its quite a tight fit getting the unit in and out of the case, perhaps its better to go for a standard case? If both the official cases are not that good, perhaps someone could recommend a Lowepro case?

Cheers Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no issues at all with the standard case, wearing it on my belt the device is easy to slip in or out of the holster. As for 8 Duracell batteries, don't bother using them in the device as you will get a poor idea of battery life, the Energiser Lithiums are a much better choice for the throw away batteries, keep the copper tops for the TV remote control etc - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: