Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which data logger?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which data logger?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Cycling, Sports and Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alicia0014
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Which data logger? Reply with quote

Hi,

I know nothing about GPS units so please bear with me here!

I need a device that will record where I have been over a multi-day run. It doesn't need to be able to do any navigating, show maps, give me heart rate/pace information or communicate with the outside world.

A few additional specifications: I need something with a long battery life and that uses disposable rather than rechargeable batteries. It needs to not delete any stored data re the beginning of the run when I change batteries midway through the run. Most importantly, it needs to function very well under tree cover and in narrow valleys.

A friend has suggested that what I want is a 'data logger.' What is my best option as far as these go?

Thanks for your help,

Alicia
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not looked recently, so cannot help with specific recommendations. However what you need is pretty standard with GPS dataloggers.

Look for a unit with SiRF III chipset of similar - "high sensitivity" - anything build within the last couple of years, from a reputable nmanufacturer will have it. This will give the "under the trees" cover. When using it, it is best to be in the open for the first fix, and it may still loose fix in very heavy cover or deep canyons. Nothing can be done about that.

The main problem you will have is battery life. Most only go for 8-12 hours (claimed) on a battery set. Many manufacturers use inbuild LiIon batteries as they are light and small. The disadvantage is they are not usually replaceable, and LiIons only last 3-4 years before replacement is needed, no matter how much they are used. The other advantage of LiIon is that it's easier to waterproof a case that does not need to be opened.

Personally I would look for somethign that uses AA's, and use high quality rechargeables most of the time. I would keep a set of Alkalines spares.

Look at the software provided to get the data off the device, and the format it is in. Make sure that end of the business works for you. Make sure you can edit tracks, as GPS will sometimes give a "bad" fix, and the ability to remove these is important.

In the end, the GPS is just a data logger so virtually any hardware should do the trick, it should come down to the software that does stuff at the end of trip.
yarraboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idk..
SlimboyFat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion might not be 100% what you are looking for but it had a big plus for me as it was FREE.

If you have a newish Nokia mobile (mines a N95) that either has built in GPS or can connect to a bluetooth GPS unit then Nokia have created software called Sports Tracker...

https://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/main/index.do

It's free as its classed as Beta, this is the software that Nokia are planning on pre-installing on the next generation of mobiles.

Tracks can be exported to be used in various applications such as Google Earth or uploaded directly to the Sports Tracker website.

Sorry if their are too many negatives to make this suggestion useful to you but if it's not for you, other forumers may find it useful Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Cycling, Sports and Fitness All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: