Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which CF Card for Garmin SP 2610?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which CF Card for Garmin SP 2610?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frenchie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Which CF Card for Garmin SP 2610? Reply with quote

Hello,

Copy of email I sent to GARMIN US. If anybody can help, any feedback appreciated... Wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just bought a Garmin SP 2610 and consider buying a 512 MB Compact Flash (CF) Card to cover UK and a few other countries.

Could you please provide assistance for these not so easy (for me) questions that are recurring interrogations faced by users?

1- Which BRAND do you recommend for CF Memory Cards?
(Reports of users mention problems with some BRANDS of CF cards).

2- Which ORIGIN (COUNTRY OF MANUFACTURING) do you recommend for CF Card?
(Reports of users mention problems with some 'MADE IN CHINA' Sandisk CF cards).

3- Which TRANSFER RATE (SPEED) do you recommend for CF Card?
-> Transfer rate is CRITICAL for READ/WRITE for Digital cameras.
Is it ALSO CRITICAL for GPS (here SP 2610)?

-> Does a GPS only READ but not WRITE?

In another words,

-> What is the TRANSFER RATE REQUIRED by GPS (here SP 2610) for OPTIMAL PERFORMANCE (Speed of route calculation)?

Thanks in advance for your help, as finding the right information has proven to be more difficult than expected.

I am in advance very happy of this new purchase of a high-quality GARMIN unit, but I would not like to SPOIL it with a DEFECTIVE CF card.

-----------------------------------------------

For reference ONLY:

I bought this unit at http://www.aspidshop.com/export/store/product_info.php?cPath=3_7_8&products_id=18.

Examples of TRANSFER RATE with:

LEXAR Media's patented
1X=150KB/sec
4X=600KB/sec
12X=1.8MB/sec
32X=4.8MB/sec
40X=6.0MB/sec

The new SANDISK Ultra II CompactFlash® cards have a minimum sustained write speed of 9 megabytes (MB) per second and a read speed of 10 MB per second
Frenchie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beginning of answer from FAQ on GARMIN site:

http://www.garmin.com/support/faqs/faq.jsp?faq=209&webPage=Main%20web%20page
Q. Can I load maps for my StreetPilot 2610/2650 to a microdrive card? If so, which brand should I use and do I need a card reader?
A. The StreetPilot 2610/2650 is compatible with the IBM/Hitachi 1 GB microdrive. Detailed maps may be loaded to the 1 GB microdrive while it is in the unit—you do not need to purchase a separate card reader to download maps onto the microdrive. However, GS MagicStor microdrives are not compatible with the StreetPilot 2610/2650.

http://www.garmin.com/support/faqs/faq.jsp?faq=210&webPage=Main%20web%20page
Q. What is the largest CF card or microdrive the StreetPilot 2610 will accept? Will I be able to download the entire volume of North American City Navigator v5 onto this data card?
A. Using a compatible 2 GB CF card, you may download the entire volume of North American City Navigator (1050 maps at almost 1.5 GB). The StreetPilot 2610/2650 is compatible with the IBM/Hitachi microdrive 1 GB card. However, the StreetPilot 2610/2650 is not compatible with MagicStore microdrives or the Hitachi 2 GB and 4 GB microdrives.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is now locked. This one is the active one.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: