Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom release v8.350 for GO x20, GO x30 and GO x40
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom release v8.350 for GO x20, GO x30 and GO x40
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adrianc
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8.351 now offered for my 520 via Home. Not sure what the differences are as the link on the TomTom website has not been updated yet.
quozl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just offered and updated my 930, see my thoughts in the 8.351 thread Smile

Cheers Quozl
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.6.2.1586
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had that much trouble with my 740L that I have been in complete despair -- after spending nearly £300 on the thing and then after a couple of weeks not working.. first the maps --
then and now all the live services -- I get a yellow triangle at the side of the screen which when I press says that I am unable to connect to server - try later ---duuuhhhh 8 weeks now ..

Now if a can get a GPS signal at all and plan a route the car wanders of into the fields -- and that's in town !!

Yesterday I couldn't get it to switch on..

Then when eventually it did -- it would not switch off !!

I spoke to Amsterdam -- and asked if it could be sent for repair -- the answer was " the hardware is OK - it is just the software and that isn't covered by warranty" -- we can fix the software - with your help !

To cap it all I have just had an email telling me that my Live services will run out and do I want to pay to renew them..

It would be nice to see how they work -- before they run out..
I could go on but I would just get more upset..

VERY UPSET 70 year old pensioner
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it back as faulty to the retailer and demand an exchange as faulty from day one - make sure you register any replacement against a different email address though.
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The retailer is Amazon who's office is Jersey !
UK rules don't apply
and not in the EC...

Just had an email from Tom-Tom -- they are sending me a bag to send it to Scotland ! for replacement or repair... within 7 days !

Any one had this before??

Maurice
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
UK rules don't apply
and not in the EC...
That only applies to low value items to take advantage of the rule that allows items up to £18 value to be imported VAT-free. All the higher value stuff is dealt with in the UK, Wales I think, at least that's where I have sent stuff back for a refund or replacement.

And Amazon has never quibbled. If you ask for a replacement, it is usually sent before you send the faulty one back, and never charged for unless they don't get the original back. Refunds are actioned as soon as the returned item arrives. So you never need worry about returning a faulty item to Amazon.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbo_hippo wrote:
So I vote for a better management of Beta testing and some proper fixes. Or I'm selling it (at the end of the map subscription) and going back to my TTN6 on a PDA. Little progres since then outside IQ routes so what am I missing out on?
I'll go along with that. I have tonight rolled my 920T back to application 8.302 and given it map 830 (despite TT telling me I'd need app 8.350 for that map). Their latest reply about the volume to my question as to when they'll issue a new app came last night
Quote:
Dear Mr N,

Unfortunately we never have a timeline of when future software updates will be released. However, that being said, application version 8.351 was released this morning and contains a fix for the volume setting.
I shall be replying saying that I've done some 600 miles with 8.351 in two days (Cardiff/London and return yesterday, Bristol/Liverpool and return today) and I can assure them that any fix has had negligible effect - the volume remains unsatisfactory for my usage (I see no improvement in screen refresh and broken voice problems either). I've got another 300 miles coming up tomorrow, so I've rolled back so I have a useable 920T and will be able to hear not only the navigation instructions and camera warnings, but also the traffic warnings too. I'd be tempted to offer myself for Beta testing, but the trouble is my navigation is mission critical, so I can't afford to prove it doesn't get me there!!

I run TTN6 and map 675 side by side with it without problems. I run a GO700 beside them both with App 6.520 and map 675, also without problems - until last night I decided to give the update app a try and went up to 7.903. Fool!! I've rolled it back again tonight!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="layingback"]
Quote:

Quite possibly, but equally with a start-up like TT, it could have been written by hot-shot programmers who've cashed out and moved on, and left little in the way of expertise, documentation or instructions behind. So they are reduced to patches, kludges and masking issues. Anything else takes longer than the available time-to-fix schedules allocated.

I've seen both - too many times.

Totally feasible and probably more likely than my version. I'm still a bit puzzled though. The world is rammed with hotshot programmers from the new generation. And IMHO Navigation software isnt THAT complex (or at least the currently broken bits such a simple implementation of bluetooth on an Mp3 player aren't). Armed with the source code and a bit of breathing space I reckon this could have be knocked into better shape in the time we've been experiencing 18 months of dodgy releases.

In the interests of being balanced, Tom Tom have released a quick fix to the sound issue so in some respects they have done what I say they never do. Best to be fair or your criticisms end up being hollow.
Holux GPSslim
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbo_hippo wrote:
In the interests of being balanced, Tom Tom have released a quick fix to the sound issue so in some respects they have done what I say they never do. Best to be fair or your criticisms end up being hollow.

In the interests of being balanced, the quick fix doesn't fix the sound issue, so in this respect they have done what I keep saying they always do. Confused

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough Dennis.

I've been in the Zafira using Bluetooth since the update so haven't tried 'traditional' sound in anger yet.
Holux GPSslim
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is strange how the issues effect different units. Some people never suffered the infamous tomtom stutter, while others were barely understandable.
My 720's volume was probably 50% down after the 8.350. But I must admit the 8.351 has returned it to probably 85% of what it used to be.
However they haven't cured the screen refresh/flicker when the RDS TMC is connected.
smspeedy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know if anyone else has found this(i havent read all the posts) but the line out(headphones) no longer works for me.Even tho i have selected it,the voice still comes out the internal speaker.
NAM-UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smspeedy wrote:
I dont know if anyone else has found this(i havent read all the posts) but the line out(headphones) no longer works for me.Even tho i have selected it,the voice still comes out the internal speaker.

try the new NavCore that is out ..
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fibre wrote:
UK rules don't apply
and not in the EC...

Just had an email from Tom-Tom -- they are sending me a bag to send it to Scotland ! for replacement or repair... within 7 days !

Any one had this before??

Maurice

I wrote to Amazon --- at the moment NO reply..

I am Still awaiting the box/bag to send the 740L to Scotland for repair?? will be sent in three working days -- maybe that aren't working -- over a week now..

Tried to contact Tom-Tom in Amsterdam -- waiting for 3/4 hour at the moment for a reply..

I think there is something seriously wrong and flawed somewhere --

When you have a bit of kit costing £300 which don't work and there is NO easy way of getting it repaired or replaced.. -- or even contacting any one.. appears to be difficult
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that when I have needed a repair from TT UK support, its always been very good service.

For example, I reported my x40 case as being broken (the hinge broke), and within 3 business days I had a parcel to enclose my case in to send back to them. The same happened when my RDS-TMC receiver stopped working, same process. Replaced the receiver within the week. I was very happy!

Seems a shame that your experience hasn't gone so well. I would update your support ticket to see if the person dealing with the issue has sent the pre-paid bag out yet.

iPhone 12

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 37 of 39

Jump to: