Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom release v8.350 for GO x20, GO x30 and GO x40
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom release v8.350 for GO x20, GO x30 and GO x40
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis
Perhaps I need to go on an English course because it would appear that I'm not good enough with words and resort to swear+ng with symb@ls to get across how annoyed I am that I'm still posting about rubbi5h that Tom Tom have been feeding me for the last 18 months. I'm flipp#n well liv1d about it and jolly well want to blo@dy well swear so I do. Crik3y, d@mn and bl@st those cads.
Holux GPSslim
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

720 bells and whistles....

mp3 juke box - works fine
FM transmitter - works as well as any other low powered transmitter
Bluetooth streaming - works brilliantly
TTS voices - works
Hands free - works on my son's and wife's phone - agree it might be NG with many newer phones
Mapshare - works fine (except POIs)
Traffic - doesn't work properly - poor reception

I think that's about it for extra goodies, and I can't agree they are all rubbish.
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to admit, I bought a Garmin for a look and sent it back after two days. Rolling Eyes

I think I land in the intermediate category. Cool

A to B properly.
Speaks to me.
Mapshare works.
Traffic works.
So at the moment, I think I've got 2/4 Smile

I don't want it to sing to me. I don't want it to make a phone call for me. I don't want it to take my photo. It's got a speaker, so it doesn't need to connect to another one. I can tell it if it is dark or not. I can tell it if it is loud or not.
I was on the M1 Southbound when it said that the road ahead is closed, do I want to re-route? Thank you - no. Good job I ignored it as I sailed past a man changing a wheel on the hard shoulder Laughing

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All, I any body else experiencing difficulty reading either .txt or .html files from Menu 2 of 4 - Music & Media - Document Reader in v8.350?

I can see the files I want to read but they will not open. The supplied "First Aid Guide" and "Other Guides" files open Ok but I don't really use these.

Both .txt and .html use to open for me on my GO730 using v8.302.

Regards, AliOnHols.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave my traffic a try today. Has there ever been a time when those goldurned roadworks over about a zillion miles of the M1 J24 to 27 area have NOT caused delays? Not in my infrequent visits. So today I decided to let the thing have its head and "Avoid". My problem is that it's never transparent about the business, just reroutes me, revises the ETA and distance remaining. So off we went with a 10 mile extra distance to use a 17 minute faster route. So then it said there was another faster route, did I fancy that one. In for a penny..... and off we went again. It rerouted in this manner several times (distance and ETA all over the place) and eventually dropped me back on the M1 somewhere in the middle of the roadworks (and in the middle of slow moving traffic, of course)! It eventually dropped me at my destination half an hour later than originally expected, so 3.5 hours instead of 3. I have a very deep conviction that it didn't save me any time at all. But I have absolutely no idea what extra mileage I did. That's just a tad important in a business where I'm paid by the mile! Looks like I'll have to go back to recording speedo readings.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mightyyid
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mighty TT respond as others have - this version has seen the volume reduced by less than 10%.

Flippin' iddiots. I do all this resetting the unit, flashing it, losing settings, then have to advise them of my HOME version, only to be told they have made a key change that would explain the problme - a change that did not need to be made.

Total bunch of muppets.

Maybe they should change the colours of the screen to unreadable colours, because... they can. No one needs to change it, but maybe TT feel it would be fun.

Roll on the next navcore that has volume returned to normal.

It's also slightly amusing that having had mt 720 for years (well it seems like it), they only now decide the volume is too loud. Ah bless...
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
Hi All, I any body else experiencing difficulty reading either .txt or .html files from Menu 2 of 4 - Music & Media - Document Reader in v8.350?

I can see the files I want to read but they will not open. The supplied "First Aid Guide" and "Other Guides" files open Ok but I don't really use these.

Both .txt and .html use to open for me on my GO730 using v8.302.

Regards, AliOnHols.

It's working for me using the .txt file I created myself. With just the proviso that this time I clagged up the file creation so that I didn't get all the text. The file opened happily enough, though.

AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback DennisN. I have spent almost an hour on it now and was about to give up. Guess I'll have to keep tweaking it. It's funny though because there is really nothing to tweak.

To record your mileage, have you tried Tripmaster v2.5 by Rousillatt. I think that can record your daily mileage, you can even export a file to GoogleMaps to see where you have been and how slow the traffic was actually going.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just corrected and re-loaded my .txt file and it opens perfectly. Maybe if you re-do yours it might correct the problem.

Mileage recording isn't really the problem for me - I need to consider contacting my customer to say "This was the price when I set off, but there are reports of bad traffic which I can try to avoid, but at extra mileage/cost. What do you want me to do?" Today, I didn't anticipate it and was committed to the original mileage price. In hindsight, having decided to stand the cost of the first re-route of 10 miles, I just don't know whether I made a satisfactory or poor profit, because I couldn't keep track of what the TT was later playing at - I may have done far less than the extra 10, or far more.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyyid wrote:
a change that did not need to be made.

Total bunch of muppets.

they only now decide the volume is too loud. Ah bless...

It's a change that was only made because there were complaints from users that the audio distorted at low battery levels.
It seems they are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

By all means complain that the problem shouldn't be there in the first place, but complaining that they responded to their customers isn't really fair.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
any body else experiencing difficulty reading either .txt or .html files from Menu 2 of 4 - Music & Media - Document Reader in v8.350?

No problems here with text files - I use it all the time for the camera verifiers files.
But to be honest I've never managed to find an html file it would read successfully.
NotAliOnHols
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy_P, I have tried again as DennisN suggested but it is still not working for me. Perhaps I'm getting tired now and making an obvious silly mistake, I shall try again in the morning - bright eyed and bushy tailed!

I agree, using the document reader is great for checking things out on the road. Thanks to you, DennisN or mikealder for making me aware of this originally.

By using OpenOffice Calc, a free MS Excel alternative, it is possible to save/export .csv files as .html files. Personally, I find these easier to read than .txt files on the TT.

Until tomorrow.

Many thanks, AliOnHols.
mightyyid
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
mightyyid wrote:

Total bunch of muppets.

It's a change that was only made because there were complaints from users that the audio distorted at low battery levels.

By all means complain that the problem shouldn't be there in the first place, but complaining that they responded to their customers isn't really fair.

Well, from my perspective I never had that issue, and the volume control still remains active and able to be turned down if required. Likewise, I cannot recall, although there may well be, posts about the issue of volume distorting at low battery levels, but there seem to be a heck of a lot more people who are not happy with the volume this time.

Thus to follow your argument, they should now revert back to the previous volume following complaints from their customers. Only, the first complaints will then be made again, and it never ends.

It's not really a case of damned if they do etc - more a case of testing and getting it right first time. Given the 720 was launched in July '07, they have had pretty much two years to get it right. I think most people would see that as ample time for a bit of kit that was not cheap.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
mightyyid wrote:

Total bunch of muppets.

Well, I heard a different story - that the distortion occurred at 100% volume levels, so they reduced it. The change was not needed - customers simply needed to be directed to the volume control feature and advised to turn it down a notch AND to be advised that battery operation was only recommended for very short periods, hence the provision of an in-car power lead. Like the man said, it's always been possible to turn the volume down to "Inaudible". For me (and apparently quite a lot of others), it is no longer possible to turn the volume up to "Audible". I suggest that the "cure" was worse than the problem - Aspirin was invented to eliminate the guillotine as a solution to headaches.
Andy_P wrote:
I've never managed to find an html file it would read successfully
Don't knock it - at least you seem to know what an html file is (NO, don't bother, I don't care - I think!).

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyyid wrote:

Thus to follow your argument, they should now revert back to the previous volume following complaints from their customers.

Guess what? Wink
Quote:
Given the 720 was launched in July '07, they have had pretty much two years to get it right. I think most people would see that as ample time for a bit of kit that was not cheap.

As I said, I've absolutely no issue with people complaining that the problem shouldn't have been there in the first place. (Although, I think other software changes have actually made it worse than it was originally).

DennisN wrote:
Well, I heard a different story - that the distortion occurred at 100% volume levels, so they reduced it.

OK sorry, I should have said "distortion at 100% AND with low battery levels..."

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 34 of 39

Jump to: