Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Adding my own maps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding my own maps?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
megoodsen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Adding my own maps? Reply with quote

I have a few purchased Ordinance Survey UK memory map V5, in 1:50000 and 1:25000.

I have just bought a paper map in 1:12500 scale of a particular area (Skye).

Is it possible to scan this in and add it to Memory Map so I can use it to plot my track and send to GPS?

I read some posts here saying Memory Map Europe can do this, and you can use your existing licence key(s), but the format looks different to me.
I have a serial, from which Memory Map sent me a key, whereas the Europe one (V5.3)seems to be based on hardware data being sent to get the key.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, with a bit of effort you can scan in with the European edition. You can then use the map in your OS edition as well, if you wish.

I have Euro edition version 5.2.7 which accepted my MM OS licence no problem.

If Euro version 5.3 is proving problematic for you to license, then you could try Euro version 5.1.3 available here.

Dales
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scanning in works a treat for me, including Google satellite views, although it does pay to spend some time getting the calibration as good as possible. Obviously no elevation data is available for profiles etc. from self scanned mapping.
jolly47roger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmapmaker http://debin.net/gMapMaker/ , [url] http://www.akadamia.co.uk/html/downloads.html [/url] or http://alpo.hassinen.googlepages.com/osm-map will all download maps from Google, the OS or Open Street Map. Use mapc2mapc http://www.the-thorns.org.uk/mapping/ to convert the calibration to .jpr and they will load into Memory-map
megoodsen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the 5.1.3 link, that read my OS version licence file and licenced itself right away.

I just did a test sample calibration and that worked, great!

I tried the mapc2mapc util out too, and that seemed to work.

I wasn't entirely sure what files I needed to use after that, but I got it working with just two, the .TIFF and .JPR.
Is there a way to turn what Ive done into a QCT?

Thanks again BTW!!
I got some scanning to do tonight!
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes, MM creates .QCT files, I believe when the map is imported. Look in: Map : Map List... : Refresh Map List... : Map Folder, and you should find the path there.

mhb wrote:
Obviously no elevation data is available for profiles etc. from self scanned mapping.

The .QED elevation data file format is indeed proprietary; the MM USA website sells a world .QED file and map, but the imported price is high. However, a European Elevation Data file is available free at the foot of their UK Downloads page. The data is rather coarse (spot heights on a pitch of about 1km), but if you already have QED data for the area you've scanned then you can use that:

To add .QED data, either use: Map : Elevation Data... and browse to the file, OR copy and change the name of the .QED file to be exactly the same as the .QCT map (and in the same folder).

Don't forget to put a boundary around the map (Map : Boundary from Route) in case you want to merge maps later.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
megoodsen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alan.
I just took a closer look and indeed there was a QCT file in the root of my maps folder, not the subfolder where the test map was put. Cool.

I do have the 1:25000 elevation data for the area I wish to create the new map for. That data covers a larger area than I shall scan in though, will I still be able to use it as you say?
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It doesn't matter if the QED file covers a larger or smaller area. However, if you want to cut the file to the correct size, then do the following (it might be necessary to have Active Sync installed, even though it's not used! ):

Create a closed route around the map, right-click on it : Operations : Send enclosed map to Mobile device : Storage card... , and set the path to a folder on your hard drive. This should create corresponding QCT, QED and MMI (placenames index if available) files there.

Note that MM only merges QCT files, not QED or MMI.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: