Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Gadget Show Live: Gtrek II GPS Datalogger for Skiiers + more
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Gadget Show Live: Gtrek II GPS Datalogger for Skiiers + more

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Videos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Gadget Show Live: Gtrek II GPS Datalogger for Skiiers + more Reply with quote

Gtrek Ltd had a GPS datalogging system on display which integrates a GPS Datalogger using an MTK GPS Chipset into Google Earth.

"OK so what" you say "lots of companies have done that.". Well what differentiates the Gtrek system is that it provides an analysis of your trip, and is able to differentiate between the ski lift and downhill skiing to give you stats about your actual distance skied, maximum speeds etc. The crowning glory of the computer display is a 3D fly through of your downhill run.

The GPS datalogger sports built in flash memory for recording where its been, sufficient storage for around 32 hours of use while logging at once per second, longer durations can be achieved by increasing the time interval between recording of the location data. Battery endurance is claimed to be 25 hours which is becoming the norm these days for such devices which also include the ability to act as a Bluetooth GPS receiver. Also supplied with the device is an extensive software package offering an impressive 3D fly through on a fully rendered map to visualise where the device has been.

Click here to watch our video as Gtrek's John Bird talks us through the system.

More information can be found at www.gtrek.co.uk

Click here to view our Gadget Show Live report and other videos.
KnightOfNi
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: I bought one :D Reply with quote

Ok, I have to confess that I've never beein skiing in my live (and have no plans to start). I do do a little biking, but the reason I bought this was for the ability to geo-tag photos. This feature is not advertised so much, but for me was the primary reason for buying this fabulous tool.

The ability to go out and take photos anywhere in the world, then to have the software tag all the photos with the exact location of where the picture was taken had me sold.

I've only had the device for a couple of days, but I took it with me to a car boot sale on Sunday, and it worked perfectly. I got home and uploaded the data and in a couple of minutes I was looking at the route I had walked that morning. The detail level is perfect and can record your position every second. I'm looking forward to taking some photos, and using the geo-tag feature to look up other pictures taken from the same location in flickr.

The device is very easy to use, and the company is great to deal with. A perfect gadget Smile
jezza_
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these last year - one of the first Gtrek IIs I believe. I've skied with it in Canada and France and cycled with it in the UK and it has logged my tracks flawlessly. It is really handy to be able to see where you've actually been after a hard day's skiing. No more wonderring which piste you came down or which village you discovered after a morning's off piste fun.
The software is OK though not yet perfect. However, all my feedback has been graciously accepted which is encouraging. I'm sure those last few niggles will be sorted soon.
In the meantime, I'm looking forward to a summer's mountain hiking. This time I'll know exactly how far, how steep, how high... Laughing
Dorfchalets
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Skiing records GTrekII Austria Reply with quote

Smile I just bought one of the GtrekII for my Chalet Business in Kaprun - Zell am See Austria. I must say I have had great fun with it over the ski season, recording my distance and top speed, which scared me when I realised I had reached a top speed of 82.6 Mph. As the ski season comes to an end now, yesterday I decided to try it out by cycling up the Grossglockner mountain pass road, on my racer, it was great to see the overlay on the google map when I got home, which is a great feature.
This little device is good value for money and I look forward to use it in the summer walking through the mountain. Very Happy
MattV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have had a Gtrek for quite a while and taken it to Canada, France & Italy skiing, as well as a driving trip round the alps in the summer. I then got a Gtrek II just before my trip to Les Arcs this year. Have had great fun using the product as it provides great info on the ski day with little effort.

(I was tempted by a SatSki, but after the effort it involved each day I am glad I did not (i.e. swap batteries at lunchtime each day etc).)

One feature I really like is the Quick Stats feature to compare ski days to see which had the most vertical drop, distance skied, highest speed etc. This seems really popular with everyone I ski with as you can compare days or different ski trips. And settle the - we skied far harder/faster etc in one resort than the other argument etc

The developer is very supportive and has fixed all of the issues I have come across responsively, as well as introducing almost every feature I have requested! Yes, the software could look nicer, but in reality it does everything you could ask of it.

Not had a chance to use the geotagging feature and have got to find out what all that is about soon.

Easily worth the money if you ask me.
tidy_max
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gtrek 2 is fantastic product, only had chance to use it once for an actual snowboarding trip but i was very impressed by the battery life and also the user interface when uploading the data.

I have used other gps hardware before but non of which have had the 5hz feature which for me was fantastic and really allowed me to plot my journey accurately!

Also the customer support is second to non, the gtrek was bought for me as a present and i got given it when abroad and had left the cd at home, i quickly contacted John who emailed me a link with the software.

Fantastic product with customer service to suit, keep up the good work!
bluemoon61
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought the GtrekII at the Gadget show live and plan to use it for walking.

Having completed a couple of walks so far in the Yorkshire Dales - I do like the product and have used both the GeoTagging feature and the ability to show routes walked on Google Earth, very interesting.

I found a small problem with the resolution of photo's with the GeoTagging feature which was fixed the same day. Very responsive!

Looking forward to getting more out of it.
jobbie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive just received a news letter from Satski they have afully waterproof versions coming out this winter 14 hour battery life runs Satski, Golf , Runnning cycling , mnountain bikibg software all on one unit - have no idea what it will cost but if its under £300- its a deal
GTrek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. 3 times the cost of a GTrek and only half the battery life. GTrek can log 32 hours worth of data if updates once per second (that's 122,000 waypoints). SatSki don't give this data.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm......

are you the Gtrek from Gtrek??

If so firstly I suspect you are a bit biased and secondly I suspect you are breaking the site rules by resurecting an old post to advertise your product.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
GTrek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a bit of a giveaway I think, biased probably, truthful defiantly. As for rules I couldn’t find anything to the contrary.

I was searching the internet a few days ago for something completely disconnected and way down the list this link popped up. I hadn’t looked at it since it was first posted and was surprised by the post from Jobbie. If I have offended then I apologise.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote from the forum rules

"We are quite happy to have constructive comparative conversations about products but we will not tolerate blatant advertisements for commercial products or services."
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Videos All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: