Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mapyx Quo V2 vs Memory Map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mapyx Quo V2 vs Memory Map

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdsanso
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Mapyx Quo V2 vs Memory Map Reply with quote

I have the 2004 version of Memory Map and use it regularly to plot tracks and waypoints from my GPS. I was looking to see what was available in terms of more up-to-date maps and came across Mapyx Quo V2.

Cost-wise, Quo is much cheaper than Memory Map and also allows you to download individual map tiles (albeit with a minimum order of 6 tiles at a time), making it a bit more flexible for adding on mapping later. It appears to have a similar feature set to MM.

Does anyone here use Quo V2? If so, how good is it? Should I consider jumping ship (there is a 25% discount for competitive upgrades) or should I hold out for Memory Map to be upgraded?

Thanks,
Mark.
rsjeffrey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently bought Quo and have upgraded to V2. V1 was not stable (kept crashing) on my PPC, an IPAQ 214. I cannot get V2 to work properly.

I was attracted to Quo by the price - I needed to upgrade my OS maps from the original Memory map versions. Currently, I wish I had not switched to Quo.

It seems to me that the software has been released before it has been properly tested. It is not as intuitive as most PPC products. Simply to activate the new PPC software, an activation code (the PPC device ID) has to be entered. It is about 75 characters long.

As the moment, this is poor software. Very disappointing. The only positive thing to note is that the company is reasonably responsive to emails.
quofan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using Quo for around 6 months, currently using V2 with very few hitches. Like all similar mapping products it has its good and bad points. On the plus side the support is like nothing else out there, these guys will do their utmost to help. On the down side it currently has little in the way of an integrated help file. The supporting documentation is very limited but who really reads that stuff anyway?
The software is really easy to use and I had no problem installing it (I don't recollect having to enter any long code). On my XP based system it has been 100% reliable, never crashed or frozen. It seems to be able to import just about any file format and I have found myself using it to manage Discovery Walking Routes files. It has a neat feature that enables scanned in user maps to be calibrated which is great once you have worked out how to use it!
I feel we have not yet seen the finished item and the technical team at Mapyx seem very receptive integrating any useful suggestions from the user base.
I bought on the sheer value for money, nobody else includes the latest OS mapping plus a PDA manager (and if you are that way inclined a Bird Watching and Fishing log) for £99.
I would recommend it but would first advise playing around with the free version for a week or two first.
mdsanso
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know, I took the plunge and bought Mapyx Quo Pro. I found a few issues but their technical support has been great and the bugs I have reported to them have been fixed very quickly.

I have tried all the different mapping types and everything works just as well as Memory Map, but at a cheaper price.

There is also a lot more control over the operation of the software and in particular the way the routes and tracks are drawn on the maps.

Excellent software and great that you can just buy the map areas you want rather than having to commit to the whole country.

Mark.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed the purchase options for map tiles are a great idea and you can obtain OS maps considerably cheaper for selective areas this way, I just wish my download had worked instead of crashing out, still this will be a good test to see how responsive the support team are via e-mail - looks a nice package though - MIke
Andy4407
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought QuoPro today amd cannot get it to work on my PPC. Techsupport are non existant especially when you consider I have justpent £50 with them.

May work well on a PC but not good on windows mobile where you do have to enter a huge device code which is a devil to copy across to the PC!

Actually said to me when I asked fro a fix by COB that I was not their only customer! What they have so many with problems that techsupport cannot help in the same day!!

Demanded a refund and will re think.
DougReid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Quo Vadis? Reply with quote

Downloaded the freebie version of Quo V2 and it looks a little non-intuitive - but not too bad.

Plugged in the Magellan Triton and in instantly grabbed the NEMA data and centred the map - Neat....

So I unplugged the Triton and plugged in the Nuvi..... and despite having a "Garmin USB" box on the Live GPS/ Settings dialogue box - it not want to play that game..

Anyone know the answer?
dave_a
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As not much has been written about Quo on here, I have written a few thoughts of my own after being a MM user for many years.

I have recently become a little frustrated with MM with the lack of recent updates which apart from the restrictive licensing changes (in particular on the number of mobile devices) have been few and far between. I know that by contacting support you can change the mobile devices you have licensed but despite never yet having to use their support, the comments I have heard and MM no longer having the support forum is not a good sign in my view and I don't want to have to go the hassle of contacting support every time I buy a new mobile.

After seeing that the Quo software is now free and a new version was out, I downloaded the new v2.1 last week and thought I would buy some tiles ready for a walk to test it out.

After installing the software it took me about 20 mins to select the tiles I wanted, download and then import the gpsx file for the route I had planned. As has been mentioned, this is an excellent way of purchasing maps, you could decide in the morning where you want to walk and download what you want be on the way in no time.

Overall, I think the MM software is easier to use and works slightly better. You can usually get Quo to do what you want but figuring out how can take a while. For example, the tiles you download have an ID but I haven't found any way of giving them a more meaningful name so selecting the one you want can be a bit hit and miss. This is more of a problem because the Quo software is slower than Memory Map and if you zoom out quite far it goes very very slow whereas MM is still usable. However there seems to be so many options on Quo that I haven't explored yet so I might need to look at these in more detail.

This is also noticeable on the mobile version. Scrolling on Quo can be jerky whereas on MM it is much smoother. The MM version has the nice toolbar at the bottom with the useful options you need such as zoom icons and lock to gps etc. whereas Quo can be a bit fiddly. E.g to zoom, you have to press zoom to bring up a slider, move the slider to a position where you think the zoom level should be and click zoom again. If you get it wrong you have to this all over again. Very strange and wouldn't like to have to do this with cold fingers too often!

Also, on the Touch HD I currently use I compared maps I have for both devices at the same zoom level. The MM maps look great, the Quo ones not quite as good with the contour lines for example being fainter than on MM. However, the difference is not huge and the maps on Quo are still good and perfectly usable.

Transferring maps to a mobile from MM also seems easier and you can transfer the whole map (assuming you don't get the error opening the map on Windows Mobile devices that MM say is not their fault!).

Mapyx also have what looks to be a fairly new support forum for Quo. One of the sections is suggestions for future improvements which I will certainly be visiting for some mobile improvements (e.g. the mobile zoom functionality from above!).

I think from now on, any new maps I get will be from Quo. I have 1:50,000 for UK on MM but prefer to use 1:25,000 and the advantage of downloading only what I need is the main thing for me.

Anyway, sorry for the long post but hope some of this is useful!

P.S. One of the items they have improved on in v2.1 is the length of the mobile device ID so you now only have to type in 12 characters!! Hopefully this is a sign that they listen to customers!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: