Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT3 traffic and third party traffic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT3 traffic and third party traffic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: TT3 traffic and third party traffic Reply with quote

If TT3 traffic is an "add on" - is it not theorectically possible for a 3rd party to write a traffic module to link to TT3 but based on RDS-TMC rather than GPRS?
JamesShannon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's an Add-on from the marketing perspective more than anything...

Traffic is just enabled in a different version of the executable i.e. v3.03T instead of v3.03.

The latest version of the Navigator SDK (v2) provides no capability to provide traffic data to the application externally, and it's not clear yet whether SDK v3 will - I'd certainly be surprised if it did as it would conflict with TomTom's revenue stream from their own traffic services.

However, we'll have to wait for SDK v3 to know for sure...

--James
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James, were did you find version 3.03? The latest one on the TT site is 3.01 as far as I can see (or 3.02 for the GPS driver).
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

The current version is TTNav3.02T (422). The T denotes that it is the Traffic version.

James mentioned in a post a week or so ago that he was involved in helping TT with the Traffic problem so he probably has access to the next beta version, which will hopefully be released very soon to us.

James, I hope this is correct if not please let me know. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the latest version appears to be ver 3.02 do you think that it would make anydifference to your system if you downloaded the traffic version but didnt want to enable the traffic part ?

I did read in another thread that it also seems to update the road maps to some extent which is why I was considering it.

Howard
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: TT3 traffic and third party traffic Reply with quote

Petekk wrote:
If TT3 traffic is an "add on" - is it not theorectically possible for a 3rd party to write a traffic module to link to TT3 but based on RDS-TMC rather than GPRS?

You are absolutely correct TT3 Traffic is an add on. TomTom have chosen to release is as a full replacement to their application. I assume that this decision was taken because there are many changes in the application UI etc, and this allows it to be one integrate application.

Anyone could develop a plugin based on RDS-TMC, but TomTom's point was that there is no guarantee as the the timliness of the data received. They are getting enough critisism over the TMC data at the moment. Using GPRS would allow for on-demand updates, as opposed to broadcast updates.

Using GPRS also allows TT to provide additional targetted data in the future. RDS is a technology that is approaching End of Life, whereas GPRS/ip is in it's ascendancy.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howarduk wrote:
I did read in another thread that it also seems to update the road maps to some extent which is why I was considering it.

Howard

The map data being updated is the TMC references in the files. The original TMC data is somewhat incorrect. This allows the traffic incidents to be positioned correctly.

There are no updates to the actual visible map data, or any other parts of the data.
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: TT3 traffic and third party traffic Reply with quote

[quote="MikeB"]
Petekk wrote:

Using GPRS also allows TT to provide additional targetted data in the future. RDS is a technology that is approaching End of Life, whereas GPRS/ip is in it's ascendancy.

Agreed GPRS is just in it ascendancy, but is RDS really at the End of its life? RDS is an established technology, but AFAIK RDS-TMC is only just about avaliable (Navigon) - Is the prediction that RDS-TMC will never establish? and that everyone will use GPRS - despite the higher cost of usage in the UK?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK, DAB is beginning to displace analogue FM radio. It's a digital multiplex based system, using a carrier at something like 1.5Mbits/second, over which various stations are played out using MP2 (yes - it really is MP2, not MP3 or MP4 - the specifications are a little old). Typically a stereo station in the UK is 128kbits/second joint stereo.

Just one advantage of DAB is that single frequency networks are supported for national stations - the BBC multiplex is on 225.648MHz nationwide (not that you need to know that, because DAB radios auto-tune).

I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying that some new cars are now available with a DAB tuner factory fitted. For now, FM will have to be available on DAB equipped vehicles - many local stations are not on DAB, and even the two major national multiplexes (the BBC, and the commercial Digital 1) are not available nationwide.

FM broadcast radio (and therefore RDS) is not going to disappear overnight, but, like Mike, I suspect that packet Internet connection will be the way ahead. TMC hardly uses much bandwidth, so it's not that expensive even at current GPRS prices.

Data broadcast services are possible over DAB - possibly even with Conditional Access (encryption to you and I), but there seems little interest in this, not least because it potentially ties up a still expensive DAB chipset to receive the data.

The killer application for 3G wireless to my mind is high speed packet data. Vodafone at least seem to have recognised this - their first product in the UK and in I think all their other European 3G markets is a GPRS / 3G datacard, with lower per MByte rates than their GPRS tariffs of a year or two ago if you buy a reasonable bundle (it is, after all, the price of GPRS traffic that you need to look at when considering using something like TomTom Traffic).

Further, I think that increasingly people will want mobile Internet access from their PDAs. I've had it since 1998, when I first had a Nokia Communicator, and couldn't live without it very easily - the ability, even in a limited way, to send and receive emails and browse the web when mobile is so useful.

Unfortunately there's no way of using the Vodafone 3G datacard with a Pocket PC, as it's a Cardbus card (it's actually a USB 3G chipset, sat behind a Cardbus to USB chip).

I can understand why 3 did what they did - being the new entrant (though owned by the same company that owned Orange when it first came to market) they had to launch first and launch something different. However, video clips and video calling is a useless gimmick to me. A quick glance at 3 UK's web site indicates they still haven't launched packet Internet access - you've just got their walled garden service on a 3 handset unless things have changed.

I suspect before long we'll have 3G capable phones which you can use the packet data facilities over using Bluetooth, and later this year or next year we'll begin to see mainstream 3G tariffs from the main players. I shall probably wait another year for the technology to shake down and 3G coverage to roll out - right now, my Nokia 6310i does everything I want and has few vices - it's also got very long battery life and is relatively small.

Clearly many of the over-optimistic predictions for 3G were wrong. However, in time, I think the high bandwidth nature of 3G means that the price of using very low bandwidth packet Internet access will go down further than it has already.

Forgive me for going a little off topic - this is just my impression of how things may turn out for both broadcast radio services and wireless Internet access.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: