Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Improving Traffic?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Improving Traffic?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mstockha
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Improving Traffic? Reply with quote

Now that we have the traffic add in for a free 3 month trial, what do we all think should be added since some of us may actually pay for it. I like the idea, but do find that its a bit fiddly to use, is not integrated as well as it could be into the main application, and, as ever with TOMTOM, the 3rd party strikes back... and TMC is not as up to date or as comprehensive as it could be (reminds me of the maps.... no leave it!!!)

So, my suggestions

1 A box (like the major road box top right in Navigator view) telling you how far to the next traffic incident, perhaps alternating with the potential delay
2 More of a noise / voice perhaps when a new / updated incident is downloaded
3 THIS IS A MUST - rerouting and PocketPC based functions TAKE PRECEDECE over updates. My ipaq has a real go slow when updating, not good when you are lost and rerouting every 10 seconds.
4 Get rid of the bar on the left if the other suggestions are taken, I like my ETA at destination etc, and even with a button mapped its a pain to keep swapping

OK, thats me done, and working on the basis that TOMTOM occasionally visit the forum, what do the rest of you think / want?

Happy Navigating

Mark

ipaq 3630, Pretec CF GPS, Ipaq 5550 Fortuna Slim GPS, TTNAV 5.10 w traffic , SPV C500
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do I want - decent traffic info full stop.

I've just unistalled it and gone back to t3.01 and will continue to rely on trafficmaster for my info. In the 3 weeks I used it, traffic missed 3 massive jams on the M11/A14 - so whats the point of paying for something you can't rely on.

Once they get it right with a decent traffic feed I will come racing back with wallet open!

Ian
DrVenkman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be more than happy if it just basically worked!!

I would like to see the following included

1) The inclusion of the ability to connect to a TomTom server and receive traffic information

2) The ability to download traffic data once connected :P
mstockha
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Okay Reply with quote

OK, I know that some people have had a few(???) problems, personally all that failes initially was the install. I agree that its a bit slow to catch up with real life, and I have found myself in a few traffic jams, only to be told 20 mins later that there is a traffic jam where I am (or was).
SO, if it worked properly (as it does in my case)
AND if the data was all up to date (which it isnt at the moment)
what would we improve?

Go on, humour me, I am interested (and no I dont work for TOMTOM)

ipaq 3630, Pretec CF GPS, Ipaq 5550 Fortuna Slim GPS, TTNAV 5.10 w traffic , SPV C500
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure where this is leading - but there is not much to improve if the traffic info was complete then it would be almost perfect.

Asking for improvments to an app that doesn't do what it's suppose to in the first place is a waste of time. Until it works how can they introduce new features (which would lead to more bugs)?

Forgetting the connection problems and the download problems and the gprs connection issues (non of which really bothered me) the big issue is that they expect people to pay for a service which will help them avoid traffic jams - I am happy to do this (I've being paying traffic master for years) - if this is going to work they need a decent traffic info service - judging from the beta testing (sorry free trial) we've all being doing for them at the moment their chosen data supplier can't do the job so the uptake will be low.

I was probably fortunate in that I was downloading 140+ incidents over gprs without to much bother and still the m11/a14 incidents didn't show - this was despite them being flagged up on radio 5 for an hour and also traffic master giving me the normal 12 mile advance warning.

At the end of the day crap data = crap info = crap application = you getting stuck in a traffic jam when you have paid your cash to enable you to plan around them.

The other issue which this brings back into play is the lack of map updates between versions - say you have a problem around Birmingham it can't route you via (wispers) the M6 toll road because it doesn't know about it. Realtime info with out of date maps gives more problems!
Fuego
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the TTT app has first and foremost got to do what it is designed to do, namely highlight traffic hotspots.

However, if whilst testing this app it also makes using another primary app (namely TTN3) less than reliable, and stops that from working as it does without the add-on, then there is a problem.

Hence, I too would want navigation functions to have priority over traffic updates. Ditto for the ETA display data, versus the side-bar. And to this I'd add cure the hangs that TTT seems to engender in TTN3, from time to time.

Finally, fix TTT re-connection after failed connects, otherwise you're not getting any data, at all, without a good deal of manual intervention. And in the end, some data is better than none, or are we saying that TTT never gets any traffic delays right, at all?

If using TT Traffic causes lots of problems with TTN3, then many people are never going to give it much of a test to find out for themselves exactly how good, or how bad it is.

However, one thing that I'm sure many of us can agree on is that the way the service stands, it has a long, long, way to go before it is worth paying for.
Fuego
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of TTT re-connections, does anyone know of an easy way to map to a PDA button (say) the process of disconnecting and connecting a GPRS connection?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: