Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Memory-Map and imate Ultimate 9502
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Memory-Map and imate Ultimate 9502

View previous topic :: View next topic  
5thelefant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Memory-Map and imate Ultimate 9502 Reply with quote

I've being using memory-map for a while on a Mio p550 but I've just upgraded to a i-mate Ultimate 9502 and I've got problems. Tom-Tom works fine, so I know the GPS is OK, but I just can't seem to get memory-map to work with it (at all, not in conjunction with Tom-Tom).

I've tried various ports and configurations. Setting the GPS to NOT allow windows to manage the connection automatically prevents memory-map getting a connection at all. Setting it to manage the connection automatically causes memory-map to hang or report a time out.

Whether it hangs or not the debug file is reporting I/O failure: Error=31Communication timeout.

I've downloaded the latest software release v5.1.3 (Build 716).

I've emailed Memory-Map support but I imagine they'll be eating mince-pies for another week yet.

Any 9502 users out there? Or does anyone know what Error=31 suggests?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, are you trying to run TomTom AND Memory Map at the same time on the device?
Do either application run correctly as a standalone software package when the other software isn't running - Mike
5thelefant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at the same time, no.

TomTom runs fine.

Memory-Map doesn't.

The same software ran fine on a Mio p550, and the GPS obviously works so I'm assuming it's an operating system or device specific issue with Memory-Map.
5thelefant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo-hoo!

Fixed.

Just in case anyone else finds themselves in the same position.

I upgraded to Windows Mobile 6.1 (which didn't help) then changed baud rate to 115600 (4400 is default). After 30 seconds of hanging and dropping sync with the pc it started working. It may not work again I guess but it looks promising...
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to strengthen Mike Alder's reply....

You MUST EXIT each application that is using the internal GPS. Using the 'X' at the top RHS of the window will NOT work.

I found that with Mobile 6 the GPS sharing applet does work much better - but was still problematic with TomTomNav V6. My recommendation would be to disable it.
5thelefant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
Just to strengthen Mike Alder's reply....

You MUST EXIT each application that is using the internal GPS. Using the 'X' at the top RHS of the window will NOT work.

I found that with Mobile 6 the GPS sharing applet does work much better - but was still problematic with TomTomNav V6. My recommendation would be to disable it.

Just to strengthen my original reply and latter solution, I wasn't trying to run both at once, you can't do that.

There's two problems (probably). The gps appears to hang (flashing light stops flashing) with Mobile 6 and MM. With 6.1 it continues to flash but MM appears locks up until it gets a valid signal which is similar to the problem with 6 but sorts itself out if you're patient. The other problem, maybe, is that MM doesn't appear to start the GPS, you have to go into something else (TomTom in my case) to start the GPS, close it, then swap to MM and it's fine. This may be more to go with GPS fix times than starting the GPS though, hard to tell as MM just sits there like a halfwit.

I haven't fully got to the bottom of it but upgrading to Mobile 6.1, using something else to start the GPS and get a fix, then swapping to MM works every time (which is good enough).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5thelefant wrote:
Just to strengthen my original reply and latter solution, I wasn't trying to run both at once, you can't do that.

Actually it is very easy to run both applications at the same time both feeding from a single GPS receiver. What you need is a GPS Port Splitter such as Fransons GPS Gate (see Here ) then you can have the spoken instructions and camera alerts from TomTom while watching your trip on Memory Map - the PDA does need to be a good spec device with a decent processor speed though.

I would give the Franson application a trial on the unit to see if that can overcome the MM issue, you get 14 days free to use - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: