Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - FM Transmitter
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

FM Transmitter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NAM-UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so this FM transmiter has been disabled on all versions?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAM-UK wrote:
the copying using windows explorer ? will get back to that ..

Have a look at the FAQ page by clicking Here #1 on the list should explain all that is needed to know - Mike
NAM-UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
NAM-UK wrote:
the copying using windows explorer ? will get back to that ..

Have a look at the FAQ page by clicking Here #1 on the list should explain all that is needed to know - Mike

Thumbs Up
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also is this law of transmitting the voice commands worldwide? If not then why have tomtom pulled this function from all the units by omitting it from the latest version software? When say it would be legal to transmit 'nothing' in a country like Kazakhstan?
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding tomtom's reason for omitting the voice transmission via fm in the latest version of their software I think is a real lame excuse. If a company as big as tomtom has sold units that are breaking the law then I am sure they would have done something a little more than just not including it in the next update. As there are thousands of units going around illegally, and it doesn't matter how hard it would be to detect these units the fact that tomtom sold them illegal would leave them open to all sorts of law suits. There would have been a recall.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have missed the quote but I think that the information about the withdrawal of the FM on the units due to the law is suppostion becoming fact on a bulletin board.
NAM-UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so why have tomtom not posted this information one there site? i.e there press section. here is uk we have trading standards i think they have broken another LAW there .
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
I may have missed the quote but I think that the information about the withdrawal of the FM on the units due to the law is suppostion becoming fact on a bulletin board.

It's a direct quote from a TomTom software developer, but without his permission I won't repeat the quote.

NAM-UK wrote:
so why have tomtom not posted this information one there site? i.e there press section. here is uk we have trading standards i think they have broken another LAW there .

When have TomTom ever admitted ANYTHING that has gone wrong on their website, it's simply not how they do business.

But what law do you think they are breaking. Does it actually say anywhere on the box that the FM transmitter can be used for navigation instructions?

But let me repeat, I still think they have interpreted the rules wrongly (or over-causiously at least). If it bothers you as much as it seems to, please take up Darren's idea of contacting OFCOM yourself and getting their opinion.
NAM-UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
MrT wrote:

It's a direct quote from a TomTom software developer, but without his permission I won't repeat the quote.

NAM-UK wrote:

When have TomTom ever admitted ANYTHING that has gone wrong on their website, it's simply not how they do business.

But what law do you think they are breaking. Does it actually say anywhere on the box that the FM transmitter can be used for navigation instructions?

But let me repeat, I still think they have interpreted the rules wrongly (or over-causiously at least). If it bothers you as much as it seems to, please take up Darren's idea of contacting OFCOM yourself and getting their opinion.

never owned a tomtom before .. good start yes ..

if that is a Driect qoute .. it is posted on the wrong web site.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't think I understand your reply.
What quote? What website?
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just asked TomTom why they have stopped my 920 transmitting to my radio and await a reply. In my case (I have hearing problems) it was the ability to transmit through my car radio that got me to buy it. If they have now gone and removed the function without warning do I warrant a refund?
Satsync 1.525
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I am not too sure how you stand on the refund, but far easier is to get the same functionality they have turned off in software back to your device.

1/ Roll back to 8,010 and v810 map and you can still use the FM Tx, in fact if you haven't purchased the v815 map there is absolutely no reason to put the version 8,3 software on your device.

2/ If you do have the v815 map then you need the v8,3 software, consider purchasing one of These or similar, they can be found from as little as £5, plug it in to the Line out socket on the base of your TomTom and set Speaker Preferences to Line-out, you will get the lot back through the radio.

Will you be breaking the law by doing this? I very much doubt it, how can they (the authorities) prosecute someone for something they cannot detect - this whole sorry saga is a joke IMHO - Mike
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your speedy and encouraging response Mike.

Just how would I roll back to 8010? I have bought no new map since I bought the device in around March 08.
Satsync 1.525
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
Just how would I roll back to 8010? I have bought no new map since I bought the device in around March 08.
Check your e-mail as I have sent you a few ideas on getting back to Navcore 8,010 - Mike
DracUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,I bought a Go 520 last week and didnt make a backup but connected to tthome and was offered the 8.3 navcore and with the map guarantee v815 UK map download.
Didnt realise they had disabled the fm transmitter which was my main reason for the purchase to use in my truck.

Any chance you could email me those helpful hints to get fm working again.

regards

DracUK

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: