Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Database
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Voltage
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Speed Camera Database Reply with quote

I'm off to London at the weekend and I am borrowing a friends Navman to compare it to my Tomtom and was wondering since I have already installed the recent camera database to my Tomtom would there be any 'infringement' if I were to download the database again and install it on his device?
Thanks in advance.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume it to be ok, as long as you were to remove it from his navman when you were finished using it. If the Database were to be found distributed online, you would lose your annual subscription/lifetime membership.

iPhone 12
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically our terms of use preclude such an installation. We permit up to three devices belonging to you or members of your family living at the same address.

The database is tied to you, if you install it on your friends device and then leave it installed when you give it back you breach the user agreement. If the database subsequently appears for download somewhere else it will be you who forfeits the sub.

It may sound like I'm being a Jobsworth but we have to draw the line somewhere.

At the end of the day you can install and we can't stop you but you need to be aware of the consequences! If you install then please remove after use and nothing untoward can come of it Smile
Voltage
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for the speedy replies!
I think I'll tell him the installation process is a nightmare so I'll not have to bother.
I'll just use my Tomtom and play with his alongside mine I think.
I don't know why I'm worried anyway as my wife will be driving and were are sure to die in a fireball anyway!
Thanks again!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltage wrote:
I think I'll tell him the installation process is a nightmare so I'll not have to bother.

Which Navman is it? The installation isn't the simplest, you need the Navdesk app installed and if it's one of the newer S-Series then it has a 12000 POI limit so cannot use our Mobile database anyway as it takes it over this limit?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darren, i think it's an excuse so he doesn't put the cameras on his mate's navman!

voltage:
although if you tell him it's a nightmare to do then you might lose us a customer Wink maybe just tell him you changed your mind as you will have yours with you and you just want to compare navigation features!!

MaFt
Voltage
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Which Navman is it?

It's the Navman S80 Deluxe Europe.
So in view of what you have said I wouldn't be lying as such!
Cheers Smile
Voltage
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

If you tell him it's a nightmare to do then you might lose us a customer Wink

Good point!
I'll point him this way anyway as he will need to learn the installation process and subscribe anyway.
And if his device won't allow the installation then he can learn that himself.
He's rich enough to sit around all day to do so.
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as an exercise there are free databases that cover the uk with no such restrictions and are imo as upto date as the pgpsw one, i have been comparing two such databases along side the pgpsw one for the last 6 months and infact they have cameras that this site dont and missed none that this site do have. as a matter of interest i dissected the database and confirmed that the data is not pirated from here. just an idea to try the navman out
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gardenshed wrote:
as an exercise there are free databases that cover the uk with no such restrictions and are imo as upto date as the pgpsw one, i have been comparing two such databases along side the pgpsw one for the last 6 months and infact they have cameras that this site dont and missed none that this site do have. as a matter of interest i dissected the database and confirmed that the data is not pirated from here. just an idea to try the navman out

Oh really? There is one I know of that uses pirated data from here amongst lots of other unverified data and there are other competing commercial services. If you let us know what databases these are then we can comment or is this a secret?
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gardenshed wrote:
infact they have cameras that this site dont and missed none that this site do have.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I think you mean they have locations that this site doesn't have. That doesn't mean there are cameras.

There are several databases that have lots of locations not on PGPSW - I've seen them and am not impressed. The extra cameras are invariably old ones from completed roadworks, or multiple copies of the same camera in slightly different locations, or ANPRS etc.
It's not the amount of data that counts, its the quality.

Sal
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything has to be a conspiracy if it hasn't been done on pgsw, well it's really easy all you have to do is google, there is no seceret.

some of the cameras could indeed be duplicates, but some locations have had cameras in them. but its not really hard to delete them from a database, nor is it hard to add to it either.

in anycase it was a tip for the other poster to get around a 'copyright' issue with your database and to use a different database as a comparison of the hardware, and not a slight on dennis and his efforts here. sterling work, but as it's a forum for debate it was worth mentioning.

Very Happy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the manner in which you make such statements without any proof to back them up that makes everyone suspicious!

Why not state the source so we can comment? I think we are fairly well placed to know the current market and the available offerings and I'll happily go on record and contest your statement that there are any legitimately sourced free solutions that are anywhere near as good as ours!

You've been happily subscribing until very recently so why the change of heart all of a sudden?
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your input
i should like to say firstly that indeed as i indicated earlier dennis does a grand job and i did until recently subscribe to this database.
i dont know why you are looking over your shoulder and being suspicious! there are many fine examples on the internet, you are proud of your database, quite rightly a lot of work has gone into it, the source is google, already stated in an earlier post. I have not suggested that everyone should get other databases, but said '' as an exercise there are free databases that cover the uk with no such restrictions and are imo as upto date as the pgpsw one'' so it went on to say that the poster could use that to test his friends device.
So as I have done nothing wrong I have nothing to prove, and I have not posted links to other sites that would end up in long drawn out threads, that in all honesty get rather boring.

as to 'the manner' in which i posted, well if you read the thread it is obvious that a solution to his particular problem was being suggested.

the suggestion that the poster could obtain a database to test his different devices was a valid point it is a public forum to discuss all travel related gps items and as such was relevant to prevent copyright infringement of your database.

and finally I travel in a fairly localised area, and the camera updates/ changes are so insignificant that I have chosen not to renew my subscription, not that private information is any one elses business but mine and I dont think subscription information should be posted by staff.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gardenshed wrote:
everything has to be a conspiracy if it hasn't been done on pgsw, well it's really easy all you have to do is google, there is no seceret.

Conspiracy?
There's no magic about PGPSW, they simply have the best product. If someone comes up with a better one, I'll change to it right away. But the accuracy of the competing products is frankly disappointing.

Sal

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: