Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - FM Transmitter
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

FM Transmitter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgreensuperhoops
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I am mostly annoyed about the lack of communication from Tomtom. When I read what the update would involve there was no mention of this. Will they be overstickering all product boxes in the shops informing potential buyers- I doubt it.
dgreensuperhoops
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FM Transmitter for the instructions was one of the reasons that I bought the 730. I have been totally unhappy with it since I bought it and now this is just the icing on the cake. If a product is advertised, as it was, that it has a certain feature can they just remove it without any notice to people that have bought it? They have our email addresses don't they? When I change my sat nav next year it most certainly won't be a Tomtom.
loriannod
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure any "intermittent transmission" EU legislation can be applicable (any citation for this yet?) because my go520 transmitted ALL THE TIME even when the tomtom had nothing to say. Otherwise a) I wouldn't have been able to tune it in on the radio, b) it would have said HISS a lot imbetween instructions, and it never did.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's exactly the opposite I believe. Intermittent transmission of the carrier would be OK (but then you would get terrible shash on the radio when it stopped transmitting).
What is not allowed is transmitting "dead air" (i.e carrier signal but no audio) in the broadcast band.
loriannod
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
It's exactly the opposite I believe. Intermittent transmission of the carrier would be OK (but then you would get terrible shash on the radio when it stopped transmitting).
What is not allowed is transmitting "dead air" (i.e carrier signal but no audio) in the broadcast band.

Interesting, do you have a reference for the legislation?

Does this also mean the built in mp3 player stops transmitting when you stop a song playing now?
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it might well do that - I noticed on Tuesday that if i accepted a phone call while playing music that the FM transmitter would sometimes switch off - didn't think about it at the time but it may well be doing exactly what you describe.

DinAlt
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loriannod wrote:

Interesting, do you have a reference for the legislation?

My info was direct from a contact at TomTom, but Darren has been looking into it (see his recent posts or search for "Ofcom")
NAM-UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have only had the 530 for 3 days and one reason i bought it was due to this fm transmitter . now i find it is not there just after udateing the 8.3 software .. absolute joke . tomtom are out of order doing this . with this being my first sat nav i looked for a few weeks as there are lots of choice and tomtom come up alot as a good sat nav .

what is the main reason of doing this? THEY even still Advertise this on there site Shocked Rolling Eyes
xspartx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the same principle as other FM Transmitters. You aren't allowed to broadcast "nothing".

Therefore they cut out if you don't use them for a certain amount of time.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, the removal of the ability to transmit Navigation instructions via FM Tx is due to some European law, or interpretation of said law, (Probably a law written by the same people that insisted we had to have straight bananas a few years ago).

The only way you can get this back is to return the device to as it was prior to the update, this means re-installing the day 01 backup and the v810 map. I hope you did make a Windows Explorer backup prior to updating the device, although it should be possible to source the Navcore 8,010 application from elsewhere if required, but you must have a copy of your original map for this to work - Mike
NAM-UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Welcome to the forum, the removal of the ability to transmit Navigation instructions via FM Tx is due to some European law, or interpretation of said law, (Probably a law written by the same people that insisted we had to have straight bananas a few years ago).

The only way you can get this back is to return the device to as it was prior to the update, this means re-installing the day 01 backup and the v810 map. I hope you did make a Windows Explorer backup prior to updating the device, although it should be possible to source the Navcore 8,010 application from elsewhere if required, but you must have a copy of your original map for this to work - Mike

thanks for that Thumbs Up .. Laughing Out Loud straight bananas your possably right there ..

as for back up no never did one (is this like system restore on xp/vista) map or software (firmware) do you mean

as for map 815 i have not installed it yet as the unit is new and the 30 day guarantee thing just waiting till near end to up just in case (can not see a new map comeing out before crimbo)

only thing i updated was software (firmware)

this was another question i was going to ask . the sd-mem card so i can duel boot this unit by picking the map via sd card .. also what size do you recommend i was looking at a 4gb sandisk
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4GB is the size of card I would recommend for a dual boot system, you also need to back up the device fully using Windows Explorer BEFORE you do anything else. Connect the device to the PC, shut down the TT Home application and use Windows Explorer to copy all the files and folders from the device to a known location on your PC, I would also suggest that once this is done you copy the backup to a removable disk such as a recordable DVD (PCs and hard drives within them can fail, so the extra copy is worth the small outlay).

The new map supplied free of charge (Currently version 815) will only work when using the v8,300 Navcore software, your old map will work with the new software and the older v8,010 release that was more stable on the device.

Please perform a full copy of all the files and folders on your device to your PC using Windows Explorer, then we can look at sorting out what needs to go where, probably best to start a new thread on the dual boot method once you get your 4GB card - its not difficult to achieve and does offer a quick switch between using the FM Tx or new map and IQ2 - currently the two cannot be used together due to the "bananas" - Mike
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
While I don't often stand up for TT's decisions; on this one, look at it from their point of view.
If they honestly believe that they (or you?!?) would be breaking the law by leaving things as they were, they *couldn't* leave the software as it was, could they?

If this is the case will tomtom contact every single unit that they have sold that is capable of FM transmitting directions and tell people that they can no longer use this feature. As someone has stated in other posts there are probably hundreds of tomtom owners that have never connected their units to a computer, and how would they know? And if tomtom don't contact everyone and someone gets caught and prosecuted would tomtom be liable?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bullyterrier wrote:
never connected their units to a computer, and how would they know? And if TomTom don't contact everyone and someone gets caught and prosecuted would TomTom be liable?
They probably won't do this at all, perhaps it is time to look at the actual problem the FM Tx devices create:

1/ They are of such lower power they can only just be picked up by the car radio due to its close proximity.

2/ The car is a moving target, so detection of an FM carrier signal devoid of actual music/ spoken instruction by the authority is 0%

3/ Enforcement of any such system would be ridiculous, the authorities struggle to stamp out illegal radio stations broadcasting with a few hundred watts power, the transmitter built in to the TomTom is of such low power it doesn't cause an issue - if its too low to be detected and its moving I fail to see what the issue is.

4/ It might be time to contact OFCOM for their view on this issue, I would have thought the pragmatic approach would apply, if they cannot detect the transmissions from the PNA device in an efficient manor, and said transmissions don't cause interference to other users then I doubt they would be interested.

5/ You can always take the other option to employ a £5 external FM transmitter and couple it to the line out socket on the device and use that to achieve what the device used to be capable of, OK you lose the on screen output frequency control and display, but you do typically gain a more powerful transmitter that is less susceptible to interference from local radio stations. Purchase one of e-bay from HK and they can have an effective range of nearly 0.3 of a mile! - They work great but they are illegal in the UK, would anybody ever detect though is very unlikely when you are moving around in a car - Mike
NAM-UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
4GB is the size of card I would recommend for a dual boot system, you also need to back up the device fully using Windows Explorer BEFORE you do anything else. Connect the device to the PC, shut down the TT Home application and use Windows Explorer to copy all the files and folders from the device to a known location on your PC, I would also suggest that once this is done you copy the backup to a removable disk such as a recordable DVD (PCs and hard drives within them can fail, so the extra copy is worth the small outlay).

The new map supplied free of charge (Currently version 815) will only work when using the v8,300 Navcore software, your old map will work with the new software and the older v8,010 release that was more stable on the device.

Please perform a full copy of all the files and folders on your device to your PC using Windows Explorer, then we can look at sorting out what needs to go where, probably best to start a new thread on the dual boot method once you get your 4GB card - its not difficult to achieve and does offer a quick switch between using the FM Tx or new map and IQ2 - currently the two cannot be used together due to the "bananas" - Mike

thanks for that
ok will do .. the copying using windows explorer ? will get back to that .. need to order sd card .. complete with the straght banana..

i take it you look at a tomtom as a big flash drive/pen drive.. what about hidden files

Last edited by NAM-UK on Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: