Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Windows mobile and no gps software?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows mobile and no gps software?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluegruntfuttock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Windows mobile and no gps software? Reply with quote

Why are phone manufacturers releasing phones without GPS software and MAPS?

I find it incredible that most HTC phones released in this country do not come with it included.

Imagine a phone with out a phone dialer, or a tv without the means to tune the channels in or a microwave without the ability to select any funtion or set the timer.

Would this be acceptable?

And to add to this, my favorite software, TOMTOM, really looks like it will never be updated as a stand alone application. So I am stuck with an old app and old maps, or have to start from scratch, customer loyalty? ha!
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm this is a bit like saying why does a computer not come with the office suite, or the latest game software included?

I think the GPS part is the same thing when it comes to phone addition features.

Sadly if you want something badly you have to aquire it addtionally.

For info, my Xda didnt even come with that sad co-pilot software.

MPW
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the equivalent tv analogy would be more like 'my hd-ready tv did not come with a free subscription to sky hd'...

some operators, such as o2 and t-mobile, offer copilot as part of a package -= however, it still gets paid for either in an up-front payment or by paying an extra amount per month on your contract.

MaFt
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows mobile and no gps software? Reply with quote

bluegruntfuttock wrote:

I find it incredible that most HTC phones released in this country do not come with it included.

The HTC Touch HD I've been looking at comes with Google maps configured. Not full turn by turn routing, but "GPS software and MAPS?" non the less. That's about as good as it gets for free.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you are an O2 customer in Germany you can get TomTom Navigator 7 pre-installed to a certain HTC phone, OK you only get a taster map of your local (ish) area and for a full map you have to pay extra for the map, at least our German friends have the option to get TTN7, in the UK we are currently stuck using out of date applications and maps when you look at TomTom Crying or Very sad - Mke
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows mobile and no gps software? Reply with quote

bluegruntfuttock wrote:

Because what ever they released them with - people would say - but xxx product is what I need / is much better....

My Nokia 6110 came with Nokia Navigator UK (I forget what main stream product name is ?Destinator?). It's a reasonable enough program but I wouldn't have chosen to buy it. Problem is I can't get rid of it - the hot-key seems to be hard coded to start the software and you don't get the option to remove the app.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: