Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - First look at the S300T
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

First look at the S300T

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJ53
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: First look at the S300T Reply with quote

Well just had a good play with the new S300T from Navman at the Sydney Motor Show. Hopefully mine should arrive within the next week or so.

Here are the main points that I noticed while looking at the unit.

•The unit looks a lot better in design than the older S90i, liked the raised Navman brand name on the back.
•Mount is a lot better. Shouldn’t have the same problem as the S90i when connecting.
•The glide touch screen as discussed by Captaindrift does indeed take some time to get use to but work very well.
•The Australian version now does have post code search.
•When looking for POI’s in the Live Local Search area the name of the place as well as the phone number is shown with a small map. All you have to do is tap the phone number and if you have the unit linked to a cell phone it will dial the number.
•Liked the Location Capture button. Very handy when either saving a great place or saving a mistake in the mapping.
•The advanced lane guidance is the best I have seen. The screen comes up with a picture of exactly the lane that you are supposed to be in. No more mistakes
•3D Landmarks will still take me awhile to get used to.
•The last thing that interested me was the way in which My Places could be stored. Either by date, name etc.

The only 2 points that I did not like about the unit was the main screen. The colours really get in your face.

The other is that a present there is no way to change the map colours. Must be the way that Navteqs does their mapping. The maps were clear though.

Will get back to you all with a full write up after I have put my own through its paces.

Tony

Navman S300T
Build - 6.01.0101
BuildTime - 23/12/2008
SmartST 2009 - Navteq Australian Maps

Sydney Australia
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we in the UK will just have to wait and see what navman are going to come up with here - or not. Both their new S100 and the European Mio Moov devices are still using teleAtlas, so I guess they are/will be different devices to yours. Enjoy!
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: First look at Navman S300T in Australia Reply with quote

So, AJ53, how do you like you new device. Have you found any problems or, conversly, new innovative features?
Gee-Pee
AJ53
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: First look at Navman S300T in Australia Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
So, AJ53, how do you like you new device. Have you found any problems or, conversly, new innovative features?
Gee-Pee

Hi Gee-Pee

Well I have been using the device for about a week now, but like all things there are some good and bad points about the unit. These are listed below.

Good

• GPS Fixed is great. Only takes 10 seconds for mine to get a fix.
• Get back on track is also great. You hardly notice you have made a wrong turn
• Lane change is very good. Especially when it brings up the lane window.
• The Traffic Event on the S300T I cannot as yet fault. Has been 100% accurate for me.
• The route option I am still trying to get in grips with but will keep trying to get it right.
• Media player is good. Have listened to a full music album and also full movie.
• Also FM radio works OK.

Bad

• At the moment you can only have 1 colour for the maps. (Not like the S90i which had a few)
• I have been missing my avoid areas as the S300T has no way of putting these in. (I have found a way to do this but it involves going into the MyAvoidArea file and manually putting these in.
• Some of the roundabouts that I always go through are not in the mapping software. (This may be fixed when the new 2009 maps arrive before the end of year)
• There is no way of seeing how long you have been travelling and stopped using the old Tripmeter in the S90i
• Last but not least of which took me awhile to get use to is that the directions are not as clear as the S90i. (It tells me on 1 route “In 400 metres at the next traffic lights turn left” Great, but there a another 2 sets before the one that I need to turn left on. Very difficult if you are distance challenged.)

Will let you know how I get on after a few more weeks. Hopefully when they bring out a new software patch for the unit they will get some of the pints that I have listed above corrected.

Tony

Navman S300T
Build - 6.01.0101
BuildTime - 23/12/2008

Sydney Australia
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: S300T user review Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Whilst this unit is not available in the UK, it might reflect some of the qualities of Naman's latest unit here, the S100 - on sale from last weekend. Similarly, european units from Mio which merged with Navman earlier this year, and which use (I believe) the Navman software.

Graham
AJ53
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: S300T user review Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
Thanks for that. Whilst this unit is not available in the UK, it might reflect some of the qualities of Naman's latest unit here, the S100 - on sale from last weekend. Similarly, european units from Mio which merged with Navman earlier this year, and which use (I believe) the Navman software.

Graham

Hi Gee-Pee

Not that happy with the unit now. After a week the unit will now not connect to the satellites. It does get a fix when first turned on but move and it will lose the connection.

Have contacted Navman and will let you know the outcome. Hope that this is not a common fault with the new units.

Tony

Navman S300T
Build - 6.01.0101
BuildTime - 23/12/2008

Sydney Australia
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame! Perhaps it is just a glitch with your particular device - let's hope so and that Navman sort it quickly. It's little things like this that will test Navman. If they sort it quickly, and it turns out to be a one-off, then it's just an irritation, but if it is more common, then that's worrying.

Have a look at the next thread here

on the report of our new S100 and see how that works out.
AJ53
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Gee-Pee"]That's a shame! Perhaps it is just a glitch with your particular device - let's hope so and that Navman sort it quickly. It's little things like this that will test Navman. If they sort it quickly, and it turns out to be a one-off, then it's just an irritation, but if it is more common, then that's worrying.

Hi Gee-Pee
Well after talking to Navman and telling them the problem their support team was very quick with a response. I received another brand new sealed unit today.

The unit has been restored with all my options and so far working correctly. (Well done Navman Support)
I will keep you up to date with this unit.

Tony

Navman S300T
Build - 6.01.0101
BuildTime - 23/12/2008

Sydney Australia
AJ53
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
That's a shame! Perhaps it is just a glitch with your particular device - let's hope so and that Navman sort it quickly. It's little things like this that will test Navman. If they sort it quickly, and it turns out to be a one-off, then it's just an irritation, but if it is more common, then that's worrying.

Hi Gee-Pee

Well after talking to Navman and telling them the problem their support team was very quick with a response. I received another brand new sealed unit today.

The unit has been restored with all my options and so far working correctly. (Well done Navman Support)

I will keep you up to date with this unit.

Tony

Navman S300T
Build - 6.01.0101
BuildTime - 23/12/2008

Sydney Australia
DGreen
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi AJ53,

Thanks for your running review of your new S300T.

I am wanting to procure a S300T through the present trade-in promotion that is being offered here in Australia. The only hold up in ordering one at present is getting some guarantee of when the Western European maps will be available for the S300T. (I use the European maps twice a year, so I want to make sure I have them prior to my next OS visit early 2009).

At present I have a PiN300 and an S90i and the older unit is always in my luggage as an insurance policy against any untoward loss of failure whilst OS. Hence trading in the PiN300 and not getting Western European maps in time leaves me a little uncomfortable.

In regards to your mention that no extra colour schemes, I have played around with these with my S90i and have pretty good knowledge of how they are structured. If the S300T follows the same principals and file structures as the rest of the S-Series then all my not be lost in modifying the colour scheme.

I am interested to know if, on the S300T, a folder exists called "MapCols". this should be found under the path "Program Files/Navman/SmartST_CE/". If the folder does exist, are there any files in that folder with "col" and "png" extensions. If any files exist, the chances are that the colour schemes from the S90i etc may well work, (or modify the existing .col file), with an adjustment made to the "settings" file that is also located in the folder "UserData" with the same path as above.

Best Regards,
Denis Green
SmartST 2009 - Australian Maps, Western & Eastern European Maps
AJ53
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DGreen wrote:

In regards to your mention that no extra colour schemes, I have played around with these with my S90i and have pretty good knowledge of how they are structured. If the S300T follows the same principals and file structures as the rest of the S-Series then all my not be lost in modifying the colour scheme.

I am interested to know if, on the S300T, a folder exists called "MapCols". this should be found under the path "Program Files/Navman/SmartST_CE/". If the folder does exist, are there any files in that folder with "col" and "png" extensions. If any files exist, the chances are that the colour schemes from the S90i etc may well work, (or modify the existing .col file), with an adjustment made to the "settings" file that is also located in the folder "UserData" with the same path as above.

Best Regards,
Denis Green

Hi Denis

In regards to your question about the colour scheme, I to have had a look in the directories because of putting my own voices for the safety cameras etc and have noticed that the directory that you asked about does exist.

They are the same as the S90i which I had. I have not tried to change the settings yet as I was told that the new Navteq maps will not support colour changes. Maybe I was told wrong. Maybe you will be able to shed some light into this when you get your new S300T.

The new maps are coming next month so the new European Maps should also be on the disc as they say that all maps are on the disc and all you need is the unlock key which you have to purchase.

Tony

Navman S300T
Build - 6.01.0101
BuildTime - 23/12/2008

Sydney Australia
DGreen
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Today I finally received my S300T. It's been a while coming, but as mentioned previously, I wasn't too keen on trading in my old PiN300 till the new Western European maps had been released. (These are now on order, and hopefully by end of next week I should have all received and installed).

Having had little time to play, at this point, I was surprised the ease of transferring all my favourites from my S90i to the S300T. It was just a case of copying the favourites file from one to the other. (I did backup first, Laughing Out Loud). Hopefully I shall be able to copy the avoid areas etc in much the same way. Also, now I can look at the colour schemes as has been mentioned previously.

With the sweltering HOT weather continuing here over the weekend, I shall stay comfortably inside for the duration and be able to play with the new toy.

I shall report back on my findings.

Regards,
Denis
SmartST 2009 - Australian Maps, Western & Eastern European Maps
AJ53
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DGreen wrote:
Hi All,

With the sweltering HOT weather continuing here over the weekend, I shall stay comfortably inside for the duration and be able to play with the new toy.

I shall report back on my findings.

Regards,
Denis

Hi Denis

Look forward in your findings on the S300T,

We will be getting the sweltering heat this weekend. Cool Up to 42. I will also be staying inside with the air on full.

Tony

Navman S300T
Build - 6.01.0101
BuildTime - 23/12/2008

Sydney Australia

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: