Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - N95 is the PITS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

N95 is the PITS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firebird
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: N95 is the PITS Reply with quote

I have had a trust 6630 for, ages and ages, probably since they came out several years ago.
Runs the TT brilliant with almost any blue tooth GPS.

Now I got a N95, so I put the newer TT mapping on it.

What a crap phone this is turning out to be.
nice big screen, don't get me wrong,

Always dropping the blue tooth connection to either of the GPS's I use.
What is it with the N95 !

Supposed to be a good phone, which it may well be, but it is crap at maintaining a blue tooth connection.

I have 2 blue tooth GPS's of my own, and I borrowed a BT77, 16 channel, and it still dropps out.
I always clear out all the blue tooth pairings, so start 'a fresh' , but still no luck
Drops every 5 minutes or so.

Any advice please.

graham
mawidiga
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an N95 with Garmin xt, uses the N95s built-in gps, works pretty well Very Happy
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My N95 8GB has never (in coming up to a year) dropped a BT connection to the GPS.

Thre N95-1 did have a BT problem with the early firmware. You could try updating this. Follow the cavettes about backing it up as well!
Firebird
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Simon, Thank you for the information.
Can I do a software update on-line with the phone ? or do I need my pc to be involved, or need to take it to nokia shop for update?

graham
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I am aware, FOA (firmware over Air) is not available on the N95 as it is in excess of 20mb. Your other two options are correct.

Nokia repair centres will flash your firmware for you, but find one that will gve you the phone back on the same day. Recently one centre (name withheld) quoted me 4 days for a firmware update.

The best way is via Nokia PC Suite, which contains an updater. Download this from Nokia (do not use the specific N Series software, it's rubbish - better off using the generic software for Nokia phones - it is cleaner). Once installed, plug in your phone and then select PC Suite when prompted. Select Nokia Software updater and it will check to see if you have the latest firmware.

A cautionary tale here. If your phone is "branded" and locked to a network, their release of the firmware maybe different to an unbranded phone. Two final things - BACKUP and be prepared to re-install all the software on your phone!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: