Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - LPG Fuel Stations in MM4
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

LPG Fuel Stations in MM4
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
covltwt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: LPG Fuel Stations in MM4 Reply with quote

Hiya Folks

I've got Memory Map 4, and I'm looking for a list of LPG stations that I can use with it.

I've not managed to find one yet, but if all else fails is it possible to convert a TT OV2 file?! Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Presumably you have MM 2004, make sure you have upgraded it to V4.4.3 from their uk website. MM overlay files (.MMO) are not backwards compatible from v5, but there should be no problems with .CSV files (in MM format). If you need to know the MM file format then look in the internal MM Help file for 'CSV'.

There is a free POI of currently 1252 LPG stations on his site under 'Fuel' which can be downloaded in OV2 or CSV format. Then install and use the free 'POIConverter' application written by Richard Davies (Oldboy) on this site to convert from either OV2 or CSV format to the MM format. Alternatively you can convert the CSV file to MM format yourself using a spreadsheet program like Excel (first save a few sample waypoints from MM to use as a 'template').

Sorry I haven't put in direct links but the search engine should find them. If you have problems ask again.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllyCat wrote:
Then install and use the free 'POIConverter' application written by Richard Davies (Oldboy) on this site to convert from either OV2 or CSV format to the MM format.
I'm afraid I can't claim any hand in the creation of Oldie's excellent program. Wink

AllyCat wrote:
Sorry I haven't put in direct links but the search engine should find them.
POIConverter.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
birdsunlimited
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have importing the marks in to memory map 5 and they are all shown off the east coast of Africa! Any ideas?? Thanks
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You almost certainly have the Latitude and Longitude exchanged (i.e. the POIs are probably placed around 52degrees East, 2 degrees South).

Memory Map takes this signed data in the reverse sequence to most applications, but I would have expected any reasonable conversion utility for MM to get it correct. What did you use?

Cheers, Alan.
birdsunlimited
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help Alan. I am completely new to this so I am probably at fault. I downloaded the lpg location files from http://www.golpg.co.uk/downloads/index.html (were these the location files referred to earlier??) but could not import the csv file into MM5. I then downloaded the file converter, imported the csv file and saved it as a MM csv file and then tried to import that file in to MM but they were all off the African coast. Thanks, Brian
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

I see that those POIs were apparently "last updated on 5/5/07" and there are only 100+*. So you might find the 1252 LPG POIs here more useful. Set CSV in section 1, then they're in section 3, expand (+) "Fuel", tick LPG (and tick "show link" in section 5).

*EDIT: Sorry, I looked at the wrong file, I see there are over 1400 POIs there.

1000+ waypoints is quite a lot for MM, but if you wish, it's possible to restrict them to a particular area using a spreadsheet program (preferably Excel).

Cheers, Alan.
birdsunlimited
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan. Still having problems. I have downloaded the file, started MM 4 or 5, gone to 'overlay', 'import', selected '.csv', highlighted the downloaded file and 'open'. When I go into 'properties' the 'marks' are not shown. Do I need to convert the downloaded file or am I doing something wrong in MM?
Thanks,
Brian
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

Yes you need to convert the file because MM uses many extra fields to define "Locked", "Visible", "Alarm radius", etc.. Details can be found in the help file within MM by searching for .CSV.

If you're proficient with Excel then you can "save as CSV" any sample waypoint(s) from MM and then add the LPG POI file data to fit the columns. Otherwise it will be easier to install and use the POIConverter program linked by Oldboy above.

Cheers, Alan.
birdsunlimited
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh! The problem was that I was downloading the file as a csv but the POIconverter does not see it and therefore I was choosing to open a MM csv file which it didn't like. I have now downloaded the file as a TT file and converted it to a MMcsv and all is well. Thank you very much for your help, Alan. Cheers,

Brian
birdsunlimited
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan.

One more small but irritating point....I do not appear to be able to import the icon downloaded earlier in to MM. I have read the requirements about icons in MM help pages but do not understand them. About the icon bitmap it states 'each icon line in the file is in the form IC01,symbol,name.bmp'. I am unsure what 'each icon line in the file' means when I only have one bitmap and can't see how that relates to the csv file. I cannot import the bitmap as an icon on it's own either. The bitmap is 32 x 32 pixals, 16colours and uncomressed. cheers, Brian
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

There are numerous complications with using icons in MM, many undocumented (except in the now deceased MM Technical Forum Crying or Very sad ).

The MM help file is referring to the icon header rows which appear in most MM exported .CSV files (regardless of whether they are relevant to the particular overlay data in the file). Beware that MM will also export a separate .BMP file for every "user icon" which has ever been added.

From where did you get the .BMP file that you're trying to use (and did you edit it at all)? Files intended for TomTom are usually 22 pixels square with typically 24 bits/pixel.

Probably the surest way to proceed is to import the icon into (the very basic) MS Paint (Programs : Accessories), ensure it is 32 pixels square and then save as 16 colours. Note that you need to include true black (0,0,0) and white (255,255,255) in the palette. Import into MM using Overlay : Icons : Add , then change a trial waypoint to that icon to see if it's correct.

You may then need to edit the .CSV file for the correct symbol number, but the above is probably enough for now.

Cheers, Alan.
birdsunlimited
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Alan,

I was trying to use the bitmap that came with the LPG csv file from this site. I amended it in PSP to 32 x 32 pixals and 4/16 pixal depth/colours with 000,000,000, black and 255,255,255 white. MM won't let me import using 'overlay', 'icons' and 'add'. I could see from altering the csv file that a different icon, that is already being used by MM, could be selected but I cannot import my bitmap for some reason. cheers, Brian[/img]
birdsunlimited
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I should have said.... I have also created my own icon 32 x 32 pixals 4/16 pixal depth/colour and I cannot import this either. Thanks, Brian
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

Yes, I normally use an ancient version of PaintShopPro to prepare icons, but I vaguely remember having problems on occasions, which were fixed by using MS Paint.

However, the normal problem is that Overlay : Icons : Add appears to work, but the icon is invisible or wrong. Do you get an error message? Are you sure you're picking the correct .BMP file?

I have successfully converted the PGPSW_LPG.BMP file and loaded it into MM, but I'm not sure of an easy way to send it to you, if you can't fix the problem.

Cheers, Alan.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: