Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Go rebooting itself
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Go rebooting itself
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikeuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent it back today for refund would have loved it to work as it’s a nice piece of kit.

The display was clean as the unit was only a few weeks old.

Looking around for something else maybe it was just dud.

Cheers
Mikeuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this on the Amazon site customer feedback, this is exactly what mine did. It seems to be when you have your phone connected but thats what you pay for?

TomTom have some serious software problems with the 730T. Connecting via Bluetooth and using as a hands free car kit causes the TomTom to freeze - you can even get a "Unable to save setting: File access error" message. From then on it won't calculate a route and crashes / reboots.

TomTom technical support told me I had a faulty device (I was dubious), so I used Amazons fantastic (thanks Amazon) returns policy and a new 730T arrived 2 days later. After a few days of operation this one did exactly the same thing. This time I cleared the flash memory (search hard on the TomTom support site to find how to do this). It cleared the error - but then a few days later it happens again!

This product is possibly OK if you do not want to use all of its features. However, if you do, as I did, you may experience problems. As well as navigating, I used the traffic receiver and also used it as a hands free kit for my mobile phone. When it was doing all three I experienced "crashing" - freezing of the screen, after which the product was impossible to switch off. After approximately two minutes it would switch itself off and reboot. However, it had then forgotten where it was going and some of its settings were reset. It also showed an error message from time to time indicating a map storage error. I have since returned it to the retailer and exchanged it for the simpler XL, which appears to be fine. Beware.
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: rebooting Reply with quote

My 520 has been doing the reboot/ file access error thing since using the new TTHome.Crashed in home when doing backup via home).

Did clearflash tool, factory reset then left my phone off system for now.
Iam also not using TThome just yet.

Still no mapshare.
Kev
Mikeuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply gluey, it seems tom tom need to be made aware of this problem or do their already know?

I got a refund and would like to stick with the tom tom unit but will not be buying until this is sorted out. Confused
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, this happens on EVERY update they do.
I always get 1 new feature and loose 2.

I have stopped reporting to TT because the people on this forum can help better than them.

1st line support don't even seem to know the product and you get the normal Reset and load factory settings routine.

This is my third 520 as the first two were "faulty" according to TT but this 3rd unit was the same!

Next model i get i don't want any music,pictures,voice control etc etc but just a unit that gets me from A to B and doesnt crash every time i put it on!

TomTom need to get the basic unit working again before adding more useless features.
Kev
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gluey wrote:
Next model i get i don't want any music,pictures,voice control etc etc but just a unit that gets me from A to B and doesnt crash every time i put it on!

Kev, if you are looking at changing the device have you considered the XL Regional (see Here) this is a great nav unit with no bells and whistles - Mike
Mikeuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More info from Amazon feed back worth a look.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/product/B0017SGLIY/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt/202-1841486-8353436?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
1ka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, interesting. After updating TTHome to 2.4 my 720 started to exhibit the freeze/crash problem. Really annoying when you've been directed off-route due to traffic and end up in the middle of nowhere with a busted GPS.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeuk wrote:
Found this on the Amazon site customer feedback, this is exactly what mine did. It seems to be when you have your phone connected but thats what you pay for?

TomTom have some serious software problems with the 730T. Connecting via Bluetooth and using as a hands free car kit causes the TomTom to freeze - you can even get a "Unable to save setting: File access error" message. From then on it won't calculate a route and crashes / reboots.

TomTom technical support told me I had a faulty device (I was dubious), so I used Amazons fantastic (thanks Amazon) returns policy and a new 730T arrived 2 days later. After a few days of operation this one did exactly the same thing. This time I cleared the flash memory (search hard on the TomTom support site to find how to do this). It cleared the error - but then a few days later it happens again!

This product is possibly OK if you do not want to use all of its features. However, if you do, as I did, you may experience problems. As well as navigating, I used the traffic receiver and also used it as a hands free kit for my mobile phone. When it was doing all three I experienced "crashing" - freezing of the screen, after which the product was impossible to switch off. After approximately two minutes it would switch itself off and reboot. However, it had then forgotten where it was going and some of its settings were reset. It also showed an error message from time to time indicating a map storage error. I have since returned it to the retailer and exchanged it for the simpler XL, which appears to be fine. Beware.

Nothing to do with software versions or Home versions, I have experienced this on many different units - 520, 720 and 920. As the x30s are basically the same unit it will exist on them as well. TT claim it is faulty (eventually) - I have had 6 or 7 x20s and they all have done it.

Basically - a fairly major bug be it hardware or software.

Andy
david311055
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my TT 730T reboots and crashes every time I try to use traffic through my mobile, TTsupport have had me do almost everything possible to tey to resolve but still the same.

Have run flash memory
Have reformatted the device
Have re-sett the device
Have tried another mobile
Have done a check disk

made no difference
Mikeuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I did all that but got fed up after a few weeks Confused I sent the unit back as its not fit for purpose, I do not expect to do all this after paying £200.00 + for it. Come on TomTom Don’t you test hardware and software before releasing it or do you let your paying customers do this for you??
Drudeboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I too have reboots when using traffic through my mobile. I gave up long ago trying to use BT handsfree. I too have tried everything recommended to cure it to no avail.
I asked TT for a refund on my traffic sub and they refused. If I had the time I'd really take them to task with the Sale of Goods Act. It really P&*(^%s me off they get away with sub standard software. Perhaps if they invested in development as much as they do in the marketing they could fix all these issues but I will not hold my breath.

Is there any way we could set up a petition on PGPSW to try get these problems more attention? Or maybe a few front page articles on the issues could draw more attention. Warning potential buyers might make TT sit up and take notice.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: