Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PDA suggestions please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PDA suggestions please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saywell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: PDA suggestions please Reply with quote

I have a nasty suspicion that what I'm looking for doesn't exist, so PLEASE prove me wrong! Or suggest something near.

I need to replace my ancient iPAQ 6340 (WM 2003) so I can run latest tomtom with latest maps.
I need WM 5 or 6 (pref the latter) so I can also run Memory map OS mapping for off road.

Obviously built-in GPS is needed here.

I need a phone (for mobile data) so I can browse the net and collect e-mail, but not too bothered about BT or wifi.

However, I do need a decent screen size (iPaq is 3.5 inches) so I'm not peering at the screen whilst navigating.

Other concerns are battery life and screen visibility in outdoor sunshine (if we ever get any!).

Any suggestions much welcomed and appreciated!

Thanks,

William
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A PDA based phone with built in GPS and a large screen rather limits the choice available, but one to consider is the HTC Sedna, its a rather distinctive device and one I have been tempted to purchase, for the spec click Here

If you fancy going up to a 5" screen the other unit to think about is the Advantage, a great unit for mobile internet but as a phone it really is a brick see Here

Both devices are fully loaded PDA devices with WiFi, BT and built in high speed internet connectivity, you might be able to purchase these on contract to reduce the initial outlay from somewhere like Expansys.com such as This Deal or for the Sedna you might want to give them a ring to see if they can offer anything on the device - Mike
saywell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike.

The sedna look really good for what I need. The only thing missing is a foldy/slidey keyboard, but I can live with that.

I've read up on the reviews and am steeling myself to place an order - it ain't cheap, is it?

Regards,

William
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saywell wrote:
it ain't cheap, is it?

No it isn't, but then again you never mentioned a budget Wink - there are very few PDA based phones with integral GPS and a screen size above 2.8" these days, the only other option is a large screen PDA with BT GPS and carry a phone as well, possibly cheaper but you start to need quite a few pockets and chargers when travelling.

I have been using the PDA based phones with built in GPS for some time and they are great when you are on the road, although I do miss the larger screen size offered by some devices, the Advantage being 5" is like a mini laptop but not really pratical as a primary phone IMHO - Mike
saywell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, no criticism of the suggestion was intended! I'd rather spend a decent amount on something that does what I want than buy something cheap that I either replace it or buy something else to supplement it, and end up spending more in the long run. I'm in London later this week, so I shall try to see one in the flesh in Tottenham Court Road.

The shift is a bit big for car mounting and carrying on walks, and I've already got a Vye 7" mini laptop for travel use.

I'll keep you posted if/when I get one.

Regards,

Wiliam
pennyandchris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an HTC device of sorts which may fit the bill

http://xda.o2.co.uk/devices/xda_mantle.jsp
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pennyandchris wrote:
This is an HTC device of sorts which may fit the bill

That unit is actually a HTC Sedna with an O2 Badge on it, so its the same unit I mentioned earlier in the thread, although on contract you should be able to reduce the cost considerably - Mike
saywell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: HTC Touch HD Reply with quote

Just found this:

http://www.htc.com/www/product.aspx?id=64796

Worth waiting until November for !!

William
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should check with the software suppliers whether or not that screen resolution is actually supported, for example it was quite a while before MemoryMap could make use of the VGA resolution, I am not too sure it will use the display correctly on that unit - nice spec device though - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: