Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HTC Kaiser and MM .qct file limits
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HTC Kaiser and MM .qct file limits

View previous topic :: View next topic  
8bitBarry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: HTC Kaiser and MM .qct file limits Reply with quote

I have been using MM for over a year now on my old phone without a hitch, its been so useful walking the moors and finding locations.

My OS Region 1 map will not load with the HTC Kaiser (o2 XDA Stellar) I now own, I am gutted. I can send sections but I cant have the whole map on the phone, despite buying a SD card for this reason.

Why does Pocket Nav work so well on my old o2 Mini S, allowing me to read it and yet on the new phone it "failed to open" and continues to fail everytime I try to load it.

Is there a work around for this problem. I guess loading sections is the answer, but why can't I just load the whole map? ANy answers?

The last thing I need is to rely on a paper map how very 1990's :-) haha

Much appreciated

Barry
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the map size down below 200MB as a rough rule of thumb and it should be OK, the old M2004 had much smaller map areas than the more recent (now somewhat dated) MM5 - A PPC will not be able to handle map file sizes of 600MB - Mike
8bitBarry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The file is 307mb, so its not enormous, but why does the whole map load without problem on a three year old phone yet wont load on a new model?

I dont understand.
pennyandchris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one point which may help.

Aside from the file size, on my WM6 device (Orbit 2) I found the MM software wouldn't work properly if installed on the main memory. It needs to be on the SD card with the mapping.
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barry,

The "can't open file" error in MM seems to be basically due to a "system timeout". Maybe the SD card (or the card interface hardware) is too slow, or perhaps the phone processor is too busy doing other things. As Mike says, using smaller map files will solve the problem.

You should be able to cut your map(s) into smaller sections and put them all on the SD card. However, a map file of 307 MB is presumably MM2004 and the only way to cut maps with MM2004 is to zoom out as far as possible (with the 1:50k map) and use "Mobile Device : Send Visible Map..." (it's much quicker to send to a card reader). With MMv5 you can create closed Routes to define the boundary of each map region to be transferred.

Cheers, Alan.

PS: The 307 MB file contains about 20 Landranger maps or about 250 A4 sheets of colour images, so it is quite large Smile
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
Deuzeff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have the same issue here on my Kaiser.

I use the tip other mentionned, i.e. to reduce the size of the maps by drawing a road around (I used 5 waypoints max, if more, the system would not let me use the option "send enclosed map to mobile device".

The max QCT size that your PDA can handle is definitely depending on the free ressources you have (i.e. RAM). A simple test is to open a map that you know is working 8as a test),close MM, then open many others apps, by doing that you reduce the free available RAM, then try reopen the same map. It won't let you.

I find that for my Kaiser with my actual ROM (having ~50 % free RAM in normal condition (no apps open)), a QCT size of 150 MB will give me 100% chance of success in opening it.

Basically for me, for the 2 departments I purchased, I cut them into two pieces each, thus have now 4 pieces of ~ 100-140 MB. Works like a charm.
covltwt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've got a HTC Kaiser and have use the 'send map to PDA' option.

What I do is zoom out as much as I can on the page and using 'routes' mark out the boundaries on the screen, then goto PDA | Send Visible Map Portion to PDA.

Once done I move the map across the screen, draw another edge of the map with a small overlay area and do it again.

I have in the past done this for the 3 map tiles I own for the Midlands. I have a folder with the maps in case the PDA dies (again!!!) and store the map files on the memory card.

As for the memory card, have you just bought a generic one or a fast one? I went for a 4GB Sandisk Ultra MicroSD which is fine for me. My DSLR uses Sandisk Ultra 2's anyway so I reckon they will do the job.

I've had the HTC Hermes and now the HTC Kaiser and the software is perfect, coupled with a second battery ;)

HTH

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: