Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - false camera locations !!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

false camera locations !!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sebastianforbes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: false camera locations !!! Reply with quote

hi there,

sorry if i'm harping on about something mentioned before...

but it seems to me that local residents are submitting "false cameras" in order to slow down the traffic passing through their villages or housing areas.

while i understand the concern that residents have for their local areas and the "safety first" policy, this is not why i'm paying for my speed camera subscription.

my garmin i3 allows for legal speed limits to be notified, without the need for inventing speed cameras.

thank you
sebastian.
missing_user

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very interesting post.

How does your Garmin supply you with - 'legal speed limits to be notified'.
Please give details.

Could you give an example of the false camera locations?
As every camera in the database is submitted and verified by different people it would be of benefit to us all to know where they are.
Please give the camera ID or GPS location.

Thank you.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only unverified locations are pmobile sites. All other have been verified by one of the PGPSW verfiers and in the case of mobile sites, they have been submitted by more than one submitter too.

If you notice a camera alert with an incorrect speed associated with it, submit the change. If it is a static site and you are the first then I believe you could also qualify for a free lifetime membership.
sebastianforbes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really think that "resident associations" have cottoned onto speed camera websites like this one, and that is how you will get your supporting evidence !

i now know how to report these false sites and i will do so in future (one done already).

garmin can be programmed with all of the relevant speed limits (mainly involving built up areas, for obvious reasons). not sure exactly how it works (same as for satnav but with a different icon and warning sound).

we mustn't forget that speed cameras and sat navs are warning of an accident blackspot... not revenue collectors !!!

thanks for listening and keep up the good work.

sebastian.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
garmin can be programmed with all of the relevant speed limits (mainly involving built up areas, for obvious reasons). not sure exactly how it works (same as for satnav but with a different icon and warning sound).

Well if you mean the built in speed alerts

a) they were never that complete to start with
b) they were never that accurate to start with

Quote:
it seems to me that local residents are submitting "false cameras" in order to slow down the traffic passing through their villages or housing areas.

I'm not entirely sure what we can do on a hunch and without hard evidence of this... How do you propose we counter it?
sebastianforbes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there paul,

i'm not expecting anything to be done about it.

you (the forum) have listened to what i have to say and i appreciate your understanding. i will use the authorised means that pgpsw have made available to apply for the suspect cameras to be removed.

pgpsw is doing a great job of keeping the british public up-to-date on the current state of the nation's speed cameras.

many thanks
sebastian.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:
A very interesting post.

I'd like to second Strumble in this, interesting indeed. We are aware of this possibility and as Strumble says, sites are submitted and verified by different people to counter it. Personally, I think the false cameras are mostly one of two categories...

1. Plain, simple mistakes. In the past, setting the coordinates accurately was more difficult than recently, as the "crosshairs" on the reporting map were quite small. The new, larger marker will help in this respect. Some submissions have been made by typing in the coordinates and a tiny error in the numbers can lead to wildly daft locations at times. Usually these are "verified out".

2. It is only in the last two years that we've had an official dedicated team of verifiers, so there are some mobile camera sites included which have not been verified to our present high standard. The recent decision to purge old mobile camera sites which have not been reported as still active, will gradually weed these out.

May I close by saying that the vast majority of mobile sites will never have a mobile camera on view for you or anyone else to see. So maybe a third possibility is that you are driving past a mobile site at the "wrong time", giving the impression of a false site when in fact it is simply not operating at that time and on that day. (HUH!! Am I saying that the right time to drive past a mobile camera site is when they are sitting there pointing their thingy at you? Surprised )

Be assured, however, that we are grateful for your concern Thumbs Up and will welcome your submissions which will be looked at by a verifier in our usual manner.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've verified a number of cameras in the Hampshire area, so if you'd like to PM me with further details of where these 'false' cameras may be I can see if:

a) I might be able to comment on specific submission(s)
b) I might be able to visit specific location(s)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: