Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Memory Maps and Pocket Navigator
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Memory Maps and Pocket Navigator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cluster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Memory Maps and Pocket Navigator Reply with quote

A warning, I've just bought 2004 memory maps on Ebay rational being things will not have changed much in the last four years.

Luckily I only bought two. They installed fine on my laptop and everything works, however, when I installed Pocket Navigator on my PDA it would not open due to compatibility problems with Windows Mobile 5.0.
I downloaded a later version of Pocket Navigator which would open on my PDA (Mio A210)...unfortunately it will not open the maps due to 'OS licencing restricions' not allowing the later version of PN to open the 2004 maps.

I feel cheated by the OS...I mean I pay their wages and they pull stunts like this. I guess I have to buy an old PDA with GPS running WM 2003 or new maps.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, the OS License restrictions are well known to frustrate people and I can understand your point.

Have you had a look at the software package Quo? - it runs on your PC and WM5/6 devices it uses OS maps, better still it is cheap to purchase just a few map tiles or the whole country see Here - Mike
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cluster,

Did you buy the MM2004 from an ebay "shop" or "second hand"? Is it the latest version of the 2004 software, i.e. v.4.4.3 (use: Help : About)? MM2004 seems to run fine on my WM6 PPC, you may need to change your version of Active Sync?

Mike: Quo looks interesting, but it seems you have to purchase the Pro version to do anything useful with Routes, etc. and I can't see much info about running it on a PPC, or on how many PC/PPCs the license allows you to use?

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MM2004 should run on the device as mentioned by AllyCat, but you cannot open OS2004 map files using Memory Map 5 due to the license restrictions, unless you are trying to use the software on a non touch screen Smart Phone this shouldn't present a problem the Smart Phone needs MM5 software to work and isn't capable of opening OS2004 map files.

Quo is a simple and easy to use product, it doesn't offer the full capabilities of MM on the PC or PDA but it is certainly usable in the field and is not restricted to a single PDA, I have tried it on a large number of PDA devices I have.
As for restrictions on the route planning, I do have the full Quo Pro but I seldom use more than ten waypoints for a walk, even 10 to 15 miles I can get by with ten points. So for under £7 you can try the package with a basic set of map tiles before investing any further. The Quo Pro package unlocks this restriction and allows you to do more planning if required, it certainly worked when I tried it out in the Dales earlier this year and I will be using it in the Lakes this weekend - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: