Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Not all menu items available in TT6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Not all menu items available in TT6
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Not all menu items available in TT6 Reply with quote

I am having problems with my TT6 which Tom Tom Support (the original oxymoron!) has refused to help me with, and I am wondering if anybody here can help me please.

I installed TT6 on my new HTC Touch Diamond fine - it is a legitimate version installed using the correct code from TT. I am finding that many of the menu items for changing preferences and features I read about in the manual are not present - especially those involving safety preferences and status bar preferences. For example although I can show my speed I cannot show the speed limits of the roads to compare.

The software says it is version 6.010 and TT Home tells me that there are no updates available for that. However I think TT6 is available to at least 6.03 isnt it and I wonder why I cannot get the latest software - note this is software not maps - I know I will have to pay for those.

Tom Tom Support have been their usual useless self - "the HTC Touch Dimaond is not listed as compatable so we cannot offer you any support" is their main line of defence. The fact that it is a WM 6.1 device has obviously passed them by! They blame the lack of features and menu items on the fact that it is not listed as compatable (which by their own admission means in reality no more than they have not tested it!). That seems very unlikely to me - if it was not compatable it would not work at all would it rather than neatly leave items out!

So my questions ( at last I hear you say)

Is the lack of menu items down to the fact that i have the 1st version of TT6 or because the HTC really is not compatable in some way?

If, as I suspect, it is because of the early version why will TT Home not allow me to download the latest software? Can I download it myself from TT's site and if so where can i find it?

TT have available on their site a download dated January 2007, which they say is for use in some HTC models (such as the Kaiser), but obviously not mine (which has only just come out). Should and could I download and instal that?

Many thanks for all you help.

I want to buy the latest European maps but am not going to do so if TT6 won't work. At this stage I am looking to maybe chnage to Copilot 7 which has just brought out a version especially for the Touch Diamond. From what little dealings I have had with them they seem much more on the ball and customer focused than Tom Tom. I was wondering what members views were on the differences between the 2 products.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just guessing here.

In Change Preferences do you have only 3 of 3 pages?

Is so go to Page 3 and tap Show more Menu Items.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks oldboy, but no its not that problem, which i know all about - got caught on the wife's Go 910 a while back!

But interestingly I have just checked and I have 5 pages and the option "show fewer menu options" is not there! So that is another one that is missing as well!

The missing options that I have noticed are mainly those around safety and status bar preferences. With the latter for example I only get one page of preferences rather than the two or three I should have.
Copilot for USA
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have the same version as you TTN6 (6.010)

In change preferences there are only 5 pages. The option to show more or less options has never been there as far as I know.

Are you confusing menus with the stand alone units by any chance?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom Navigator 6 application is different to the PNA version 6 software, certain options that you know work on the PNA might not even be present on the PDA version.
You can download and install the version from the TT web site, but I suspect all you will find different is when configuring the GPS receiver you will get a new menu page for "Built in GPS Receiver" with all the parameters setup to work with the HTC devices (this was introduced since 6,020 was released when the P3300 Artemis was first launched) - Mike
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike and Mike

thanks for the replies.

My last response was to that from Oldboy who seemed to think that there was the ability to change the amount of menu info shown in change preferences, as you can with PNAs. If you can't do that in Navigator then that is no problem to me.

The things I am missing are things that are shown as being available in the manual for TT Navigator 6, i.e. the PDA version, that TT Home says is the manual for my device. Things like in the safety menu being able to suggest driving breaks or in the status bar menu being able to "show leeway to arrival time".

However in looking this up to be able to explain it better it has become clear what the problem is. I have compared the manual that I have with the software with the manual that TT Home says is the correct one for my software and they are not the same! So exactly as I thought the problem is that I have an early version of the software (and probably maps as well).

So I need to redefine my questions, which come down to

Can I download the latest version of TT6 and if so where can I find it on TT's website and how can I dowload it (bearing in mind that TT Home says my product is up to date!).

My version of the maps is V990.1219. Does this version have speed limit information on it or will i have to wait and get that with later maps if I buy them?

Again many thanks for the help to date
Copilot for USA
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure 6.010 is the latest version.

I'm also pretty sure that the latest maps available for that version are 6.75.

I'll confirm shortly.

Yes, as I thought:

My version (and apparently the latest) is 6.010 (7720)
It definately only offers 6.75 maps. I didn't know they did the version you mentioned.
If you touch the satelite strength symbol you'll see a white box with the version number, if you touch that you get a green screen with system details. Ckeck your map version on that

Last edited by SpikeyMikey on Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike.

to be more specific the version is 6.101(7720). I don't think it can be latest given the difference between the manuals.
Copilot for USA
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6,032 is the last TT Nav6 release, this again was a release for HTC products.
The latest maps for version 6 software is 675, for the latest update to the Nav 6 software see This Page, it might not work at the moment due to some server issues at the TT end of the string, people using Home seem to be experiencing problems.

Where you have indicated your maps are 990 do you in fact mean 660, if so they are over 2 years old, but the 675 maps are not much more up to date! - I certainly wouldn't bother wasting money on the TTN platform at the moment, unless you want to take the risk that TTN7 will work.

Having just looked on the map shop at TomTom Navigator 7 is indeed listed and you can purchase v720 maps, the issue is still where to get the software from! - Mike
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see Wink

I think you've transposed 9's for 6's, the map version I have is 660.1219.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having problem with coordination between what is left of my brain and my fingers. The version of the maps I have should be 660.1219.

As Mike Alder points out there is a later version than 6.010. Thanks for that link Mike. Is there a 6.030 available, i.e. without bothering with the special for HTC version?
Copilot for USA
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK only 6,010 was for general use, the 6,020 6,030 and 6,032 releases were all for HTC devices which is what you have got in way of hardware - but as I mentioned earlier it won't offer you much more than an easier set up routine for the GPS connection - Mike
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, thanks again but now I am confused.

If I have the latest general release version why does the TT Home manual have a lot of features in that I have not got on my software or mentioned in my original manual? The two examples I have given above are to start with, but there are others, for example the ability to turn off or on the speed limit info when you have your speed showing in the status bar.

Does anybody know if the maps I have 660.1219 have speed limit information on them anyway because if they don't at least that will explain why it is not being shown in my version?
Copilot for USA
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they do.

If you go to Change Preferences / Page 4 - Status bar preferences / and select speed.

This will show your current speed against a known speed limit. I say that because you won't always get a comparison as not all roads are 'known' if you see what I mean.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now confusion reigns!

I have managed to install 6.030 but it makes no difference. I still do not have as many options as the manual that TT Home refers me to says I should have. In order to check to see if it is the manual that is wrong can I ask any users of TT6 out there to tell me if they can find the following options, all of which the manual refers to but which I can't find

In the main menu are there "Help me" and "TomTom map share" options available?

In the Change Preferences option are there options for "change symbol for car", "enable auto-zooming", "start up options" and "quick menu option"?

In the Status Bar preferences option are there options to "show leeway to arrival time", or to toggle the speed limit display on or off (if you have speed shown)?

All of these are described in the manual, but not available on my version. I wonder if TT Home is showing me the manual for the fabled TT7 as a sort of tease? But then still no mention of TTS!
Copilot for USA

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: