Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Amplifying sound in Tom Tom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Amplifying sound in Tom Tom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Amplifying sound in Tom Tom Reply with quote

I was just wondering how other TT6 users get the voice instructions and warnings amplified when they are using Tom Tom in that car on their PDA or smartphone?

The reason is that I have just bought a nice new shiny HTC Touch Diamond with its own built in GPS receiver which is very good. BUT I can no longer get the sat nav info through the audio using my Parrot 3300 (which I used to with my old Ipaq) because I cannot pair it with the Parrot's built in sat nav receiver.

I have tried to sort this out but it is beginning to look like I am going to have to change the set up in the car. So I am looking for recommendations as to how this can be done. What I need is to be able to have handsfree phone kit and amplified sound when using TT.

I would prefer to continue to use the Parrot for handsfree (I know that bit works OK) and just have something else for TT if that was possible. I would even be happy to just use the loudspeaker mode on the phone itself (it is loud enough and my car is quiet enough) - can I get TT or the phone to actually switch to that in WM6.1??

Or how do others do it.

All advice greatfully received as my new shiny toy is not looking as good as I thought it would be!
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mate,

I use an XDA PDA with TT6.

To be honest, for me my voice instructions seem fairly loud, i particually use the WVM voice, as its a deep, clear loud voice so goes over the CD player.

I have amplified some of my main POI warning noises, e.g for speed cameras, my own trumpet sounds really do come out very loud, even at 10% volume! or my near overspeed sound !

Depending on what you need, you could try and use a FM transmitter to have the sounds coming out the radio, i use it now and again if im going on a long trip, I have WMplayer running and the tomtom sounds pumping out at 87.5fm!

Hope that gives some ideas?

MPW
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble is with my HTC the sounds are about as loud as when you are listening to the phone . And that is at its maximum. Obviously it thinks I have the phone up against my ear!

It does do sounds that are loud enough - if I hit the speakerphone soft key when on the phone or if I play MP3s without the headphone plugged in for example. But it won't do them when in Tom Tom and I can't find a way of making it. Maybe there is just a button I could hit - I just can't find it! Does yours get loud enough without you doing anything or did you make some adjustment?

The phone has only just been released so it is very new and it is not on TT's list of supported phones - which means their "helpline" are about as useful as a chocolate fireguard - "we don't offer advice for non-supported phones".

i am beginning to think CoPilot might be a good idea!
Copilot for USA
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tap the volume icon on the device. There are two volume controls, phone and PDA. Set the PDA volume to max. Start TomTom, tap the bottom of the display and adjust the slider to suit.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mullet. However when I hit the volume control I get 2 options, but not those ones. One is "system volume" and the other is "ringer volume". Both are at their maximum! I have looked through all the settings and can't find one that deals with this.

Maybe I am deafer than I think and I do need the sound amplified. In that case what is the best way to get that sound amplified do you think? Can anybody help as to the way that they do it please?

Are any of the bluetooth visor handsfree phone kits suitable? As I say my Parrot will only deal with the phone and refused to get involved with sounds from the programmes.

I just need the turn instructions and camera warnings loud enough that I know to look at the screen.
Copilot for USA
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the Phones volume is at 100% start TT and adjust the volume from the TT volume control, on TTN6 the volume is not linked to the PDA volume, which is the point Mullet is indicating might be at fault.

I would also have a read through some of the threads over at XDA Dev, a quick search for TomTom in the HTC Diamond forum section pulled up 4 or 5 pages of results, This one looks like it might yield some information for you.

If you want to try the route of an FM Tx what type of connection do the earphones use to connect to the phone, is it via the mini USB? If so you will need one of These which gives you a normal audio connection 3,5MM and allows the device to use external power at the same time - Mike
wiz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a belkin FM transmitter with my iPAQ hp 214

connect to speaker out jack and tune you radio in to the station with no or the least noise note the frequency and set you FM transmitter to that frequency and away you go..

I can play music from the the SD card and also have the directions from Tom Tom

works for me on long trips I don't bother for short trips..link to belkin FM transmitter

http://www.belkin.com/uk/tunecast3/advantages/
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I am back to being a happy bunny and would really like to thank everybody who offered their suggestions to me - thanks - it really does show how good this forum is.

A special thanks must go to Mike who had the patience to answer this and several related queries I posted here and eslewhere. In the end Mike came up with the answer that worked the way I wanted - the post he linked to in the HTC diamond forum produced a little file I downloaded called BTmusic. What a really nice little app - it enables all sounds produced by the PDA as well as the phone to be sent to the bluetooth headset/handset.

This is EXACTLY what I wanted.

Wiz - thanks for your suggestion but I wanted to be able to listen to music from my audio system rather than the PDA on the move because I have a 6 stack CD player that can read MP3s so I have ended up with over 36 CDs to choose from and at better quality than on the PDA.

MPW - also thanks but the voices were not loud enough for me and I did need them amplified especially when listening to the radio or CD. Maybe my wife is right and I am getting deaf in my old age

So a tip for all that use a BT headset or handset profile device (that does not have a2DP profile) who may want to hear the TT instructions and warnings relayed over that - try BTmusic using the 1st of the links that Mike posted above - its free to download.
Copilot for USA
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you got it to do what you want in the end, just take care with some of the hacks and alterations that get mentioned on the web site I linked to, if you mess up editing the registry you can ruin the device - that said it is a great site for in depth information on HTC products and work arounds - Mike
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Mike - a very wise bit of advice and one that I will heed.
Copilot for USA
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpwilson99 wrote:
I have amplified some of my main POI warning noises, e.g for speed cameras, my own trumpet sounds really do come out very loud, even at 10% volume! or my near overspeed sound !

"Near Overspeed sound"?! what overspeed warning? more to the point, where?! I can't find this on my copy (TT6 on an iPaq)! Shocked

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: