Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Cross Reference and Compatibility
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Cross Reference and Compatibility

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TWood20
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Cross Reference and Compatibility Reply with quote

Are most of the items such as POI and the add ons for POI's mostly related to England and Europe? I was looking at the information for Checkpoint and POI Warner, and I was wondering how it knows when a POI is upcoming(in order to "warn" me that the POI is upcoming.) We don't have a whole lot of speed cameras here in the United States, at least not that I'm aware of. I have read a lot about speed camera warnings/POI's, so that lead me to wonder if most of the information here is more relevant to Europe then the United States. True or not True?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TWood20,

If you run a version of TomTom Navigator higher than 1.50 then you have a choice of “POI detector” add-ons. There’s CheckPOInt 2.02 (& 3.2 although 2.02 is the preferred version for many people on this forum) and GPSAssist. I’m running GPSAssist 2.1.0, which has just been released, it’s very good and will probably very soon become the “preferred” POI detector. There are other add-ons but the two above are most commonly used.

POI detectors plug into TTNav and thus know your current location, speed, heading, etc. They also use the .OV2 POI files, which are basically a list of longitude, and latitude coordinates. The POI detector compares the two and is thus able to warn you of POIs as you approach them.

Most of the information about speed cameras on this forum/website relate to Europe, and in particular mainland UK. However if any of the states in the USA decided that speed cameras were a good idea then if US drivers could capture the locations I’m sure the PocketGPS World folk would be happy to host the POI files.

I can see no reason why the above POI detectors would not work with the US version of TTNav software, which as far as I know is the same as the European one. Therefore you could create your own POIs for warnings of any “danger zone” and share the POIs with others. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
TWood20
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Cross Reference and Compatibility Reply with quote

Privateer...excellent information. Thanks a lot. I always appreciate when someone else is kind enough to take the time to give detailed feedback. I don't live in an area where speed cameras or speed trap zones exist. However, if I ever go to a place where that is an issue I will certainly make note to capture the locations and then get them out there to all who would like them.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't forget that Speed Cameras are far from the only POIs. There is a large community of users creating and sharing POI's for a variety of subjects, auto dealerships, petrol stations, museums, country parks, WLAN Hot Spots, the list goes on.

The beauty of the custom POI's that TomTom allows users to use and create is that if you can think of a POI that would be useful either to you or the wider community then it's very easy to create them and even easier to share them, no reason at all why as a US user you cannot create some yourself Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: