Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Memory Map and Road Angel 7000 Adventurer
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Memory Map and Road Angel 7000 Adventurer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rothers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you've got a lock just click the padlock (Lock onto GPS) icon and the map will auto-scroll keeping your current position on screen.

squired
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone bought one of those clear screen protectors that you stick over the screen to stop it from being scratched? I have one on my Archos 605 media player and would really like to have something similar on my road angel.
Brian
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never bothered with them myself, a mate of mine used them with his Tom Tom Rider but it looked scruffy after a while as the stick-on got tatty, I haven't used my RA too much yet but it hasn't picked up any scratches on the screen, neither has my Zumo that has been used a lot .. I think the screens are fairly scratch resistant to typical finger nail use, there is also (possibly) the issue of loosing screen sensitivity with a screen protector on.
Brian
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to make your Road Angel play video's:
(Alternative method to previous post in this thread)

You will need to install TCPMP video player which normally runs on pda's running Windows Pockets PC 2003 but will also run on the RA which runs the same OS (Win CE .NET 4.2 Core)
This is FREE software which is available from here ..

http://tcpmp.en.softonic.com/pocket

.. unfortunately the software is designed to install directly onto a PocketPC pda where it creates a TCPMP folder, the contents of which can be copied onto an SD card, inserted into the RA and run from there with a minor tweak. If you haven't got a PocketPC pda then you will need to get the files from here ..

http://home.arcor.de/mutterstadt/

.. download and open one of available 'tcpmp' zip file versions, extract the contents of the zip-file to the root directory of an empty SD card, rename the file player.exe to HoluxNavi.exe. You can install some more plugins to enable you to play more file types from the 'plugins' zip-file .. make sure you download the same versions (ie: if you download tcpmp.win32.0.71k.zip then download ac3.plugin.0.71k.zip for example, the file you require within this zip file would be ac3.plg .. copy this onto your SD card - Repeat for other plugins such as ffmpeg, wavpack etc etc.

To run: Remove your existing Memory Map SD card, inset your new TCPMP video-player SD card, switch on your RA, either press the RA's RESET button, or preferably (as it will preserve any screen calibration settings made to the RA) just press the onscreen RA Nav icon and TCPMP player will start automatically, then browse to your movie file (I generally use .wmv's or .mpg's).

To Restart Memory Map: After exiting TCPMP, Remove TCPMP SD card and reinsert MM SD card, again press RA Nav icon, MENU then MEMORY MAP as normal!
dbamsey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using a HP Ipaq and a bluetooth gps receiver mounted onto my mountain bike with Memory Maps loaded onto it. I have found it invaluable when out on the trails and also good for when planning my own routes on my PC. Last week i went out and got caught in rain and hail and although it is kept in a clear case it began to go haywire and reset itself to factory settings so i lost the program, luckily I knew where I was so was able to continue!
When i got home I found that the touch screen had failed and now I can't get passed the calibration screen, fortunatly this was bought off ebay so that my good one i have didn't get destroyed. Now I am looking at somekind of replacement device, first i was going to get a garmin vista Hcx but after looking at the maps I don't think they are good enough. I then found out about the Road Angel and I would purely be using it for navigating on my bike using MM as i already have TomTom for in the car. I see it is marketed as 2 machines, the 7000 Navigator and the 7000 Adventurer, as i understand it they are the same machine except the Adventurer has the maps re-loaded onto a SD card hence why it is more and the Navigator has the option of adding MM.

As I already have MM installed on my PC and have an SD card with Maps would i just be able to buy the Navigator version and fit the SD card in and away I go or would I have to buy the more expensive Adventurer version. Also how are the maps located on the card are they in a folder on the card or just put directly onto card without being in a folder?

Finally can anyone comment on the ruggedness of the device as i have tendency to fall off sometimes due to not being able to get my feet out of the pedal clips fast enough and dont want to break it on the first fall I have with it.

Regards

Darren
Brian
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbamsey wrote:
.. the 7000 Navigator and the 7000 Adventurer, as i understand it they are the same machine except the Adventurer has the maps re-loaded onto a SD card hence why it is more and the Navigator has the option of adding MM.

The Adventurer comes preloaded with 1:50000 MM maps though you can install maps yourself depending on your version of MM. The RA/MM software is downloadable for free (link in earlier post).

Quote:
As I already have MM installed on my PC and have an SD card with Maps would i just be able to buy the Navigator version and fit the SD card in and away I go or would I have to buy the more expensive Adventurer version. Also how are the maps located on the card are they in a folder on the card or just put directly onto card without being in a folder?

Maps on mine are on SD card in a Memory Maps folder, I'd look on Ebay and try to pick up an Adventerer, probably get a used one for a couple of hundred pounds!

Quote:
Finally can anyone comment on the ruggedness of the device as i have tendency to fall off sometimes due to not being able to get my feet out of the pedal clips fast enough and dont want to break it on the first fall I have with it.

I use mine on a mountain bike and they are reasonably rugged - there's no bits that would break off easily, but if it landed face down on rocks it would likely break the screen but there again so would any other device.
rothers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Brian says get a RA7000 Navigator then if you've already got Memory Map 2005 PC you can download the RA7000 Adventurer client for free from Road Angel and use all your existing maps.

RA7000 Navigator comes with a 512MB SD card, you can swap this for a 2GB card to give more room for maps. Copy all the files off the original card if you want the Road Angle Car Nav stuff to work as well, although to be honest it's so poor I wouldn't bother if you've got a Tom Tom.

For cycling I use one of these which is much better than the official Road Angel offering:

http://gpsforless.co.uk/product_details.php?id=3465

To this I bolt the cradle and back plate. The standard clip fixings are not strong enough for the rigors of Mountain Biking.

Another great forum here if you've not already found it:

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/board/index.php?showforum=22

Cheers

Neil
dbamsey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your comments guys,

Last night after posting I found some links on the Road Angel site and it does say the both units are different but then it goes on say elsewhere that you can install the MM on the Navigtor as a 30 day trial. The download instructions I looked at make it seem like its a firmware upgrade to make it an Adventurer model rarther than than opening up MM on the PC and installing it to the device similar to a Ipaq PDA.

http://support.blackspot.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=109&nav=0,10

http://support.blackspot.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=101&nav=0,27,28

The above links give confusing accounts in my opinion. As i said above, updating the Navigator for a trial would mean I would have to Pay to unlock the MM on the device anyway. I am thinking maybe its worth paying the extra to have the MM program on there from the start, at least i won't have to purchase any more maps.

Thanks

Darren
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of getting one of these from Argos for £260.00 http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0390349/Trail/searchtext%3EROAD+ANGEL.htm assuming it is the same package with offer of a free carry case?

I was also thinking of the Garmin Colorado 300 which is about the same price but with no maps. Full UK TOPO and carry case takes it to £400.00!

The Garmin had poor reviews but I understand is better with latest firmware and runs on AA batteries.

Any thoughts?

HummerUK
rothers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't already got Memory Map it's a good deal. If you have however and are confident installing your own software there's no reason not to buy the £60 cheaper Navigator instead.

Cheers
Neil
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have decided on the Garmin Colorado with TOPO maps of England & Wales rather than complete UK.

£269.00 device and £60.00 for map TGB014R

From what I understand the 7000 Adventurer only comes with O/S maps of parks and for other areas more cash is required making the cost much the same.

The Garmin is designed for outdoor use and AA batts are easy and cheap power source.
Brian
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still be tempted to search around on Ebay for a used RA7000 .. mine cost £150 and included the SD card/MM software/1:50000 maps. I already had Memory Map V5 so I can add any of my 1:25000 maps to the unit.

The Colorado 300 seems a decent unit though it didn't fair too well on the Gadget Show the other week, main weak point for me is the Garmin Topo maps - not a patch on Ordnance Surveys maps.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips (earlier in this thread) on how to view one's own tracklogs in 3D Google Earth.

But no matter what I try, I can only get 3D to work with manual (cursor) control.

As soon as I try a tour of my own tracklog (or one downloaded from earlier in this thread) I just get a top-down tour around a flat aerial photo.

If I adjust the horizon to get some 3D, the tour pauses and will only restart from the beginning when it reverts to 2D.

Hopefully it's an elementary mistake I'm making. I'd be grateful for a clue from somebody more clued up.

Dales.
rothers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just tried this myself and think I can see the problem. The trick is to only use the default "colourise by track" in GPSVisualizer

I've been using colourise by speed but this seems to spit the track up into lots of small tracks (one for each colour) to which Google Earth likes to zoom into individually. seems it's only 1 colour per track in Google Earth.

Try the following example .kmz files, see how you get on

http://www.rothers.demon.co.uk/misc/kinder_no_colour.kmz
http://www.rothers.demon.co.uk/misc/kinder.kmz

and the original recorded .mmo, note the speed data & elev data is missing from the start of this track as I struggled to get a lock Smile

http://www.rothers.demon.co.uk/misc/kinder.mmo

Cheers
Neil
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Neil, my 3D is working great now.

I soon realised, when watching your track, that there was a slight amount of 3D present on my viewer, although so little that I had originally thought it was a top-down 2D view.

So I adjusted the Camera Tilt Angle from its silly low initial setting to a suitably large value...and bingo! great 3D!

Cheers,

Dales.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: