Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Harman Kardon GPS 500
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Harman Kardon GPS 500
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mwayman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Harman Kardon GPS 500 Reply with quote

Bought this Harmon Kardon GPS 500 satnav from Morrisons (yes Morrisons!) 2 days ago and I note the following.
Price, £99. Build quality, excellent.
However, beware!
Tested it out on 2 places and it failed miserably.
It could not find Souter View,Whitburn,SR6 7HZ.
Postcodes only go to 4 digits and then you have to put in road and house number. Had to visit a business address with no 'house number' and it plonked me in the middle of the road - 2 miles from the destination.
The software is from Tele Atlas, but I think Harman Kardon baulked on paying for the full postcode package.
So, this little satnav is going back to Morrisons!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny, i had someone asking about these yesterday! he was deciding between this harmon kardon one at £99 or a garmin nuvi 250 (europe) for £109 - recommended the garmin mainly for their support (the guys a technophobe and would likely need help!) - looks like i mad a good choice!

MaFt
wayne1310
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Morrisons Sat Nav Reply with quote

Hiya, I bought one of these Sat Navs for £89 (staff discount saved me £10) and it's one of the best sat nav's I have used. I use to use my brother's tom tom but found it quite annoying with the set up, but this one has caused me no problem at all. The set up was very easy and the size of the screen is a big plus. Easy to use with clear vocal instructions, I would recommend these to people. Very Happy

10 out of 10 for me
willieworm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: RE HARMON/KARDON GPS 500 SATNAV Reply with quote

Hi i agree about the Harman/kardon gps 500.
it has not let us down on finding places it has been quite accurate. but the shop assistant at Morrison's told me that the satnav came with speed cameras subscription for 6 months. But i have had no joy in working out how to obtain them. I have contacted the helpline number on the website for Harman/Kardon , twice and also wrote an email to them but have had no feed back from them . So like you my satnav is going back to Morrisons.
will
Confused
glesgaguy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to download the POI Warner installer program, go to the Harmon Kardon website and look at the FAQ for the 500 it gives you the link.
They won't advertise this feature in the manual because stricktly speaking it's illeagal Sad
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glesgaguy wrote:
They won't advertise this feature in the manual because stricktly speaking it's illeagal Sad

in what way is POI Warner illegal??!
terrywallis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I bought a Harman GPS 500 from Morrisons and am very pleased with it. I have downloaded the speed camera database from POI Warner and all works well. I am certainly able to enter 7 figure post codes with no problem and the gadget takes me straight to them. I am dissappopinted, though, in the manner of speed camera alerts which seems to consist of a few varied beeps, no speech at all. Not as good as the wife's Talex. Another gripe, the MP3 player insists on playing album tracks in alphabetical order, not track order. Anyone know a way around this?
granite-silver
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: RE HARMON/KARDON GPS 500 SATNAV Reply with quote

Quote:
So like you my satnav is going back to Morrisons.
will
Confused

What are Morrisons like when returning items- ive bought one of these but like my tomtom more !
windup
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

terrywallis wrote:
For what it's worth, I bought a Harman GPS 500 from Morrisons and am very pleased with it. I have downloaded the speed camera database from POI Warner and all works well. I am certainly able to enter 7 figure post codes with no problem and the gadget takes me straight to them. I am dissappopinted, though, in the manner of speed camera alerts which seems to consist of a few varied beeps, no speech at all. Not as good as the wife's Talex. Another gripe, the MP3 player insists on playing album tracks in alphabetical order, not track order. Anyone know a way around this?

Hi terry,
You say u got the download.. did u pay for the update or find a way to do it otherwise.
How does the device tell you about speed cams.. I have just got one but debating about whether to get the update or return device for a refund.
terrywallis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windup wrote:
terrywallis wrote:

Hi terry,
You say u got the download.. did u pay for the update or find a way to do it otherwise.
How does the device tell you about speed cams.. I have just got one but debating about whether to get the update or return device for a refund.

Hi, Yes I paid 19 Euros for the speed camera database. The device alerts you to the presence of a speed camera by a series of bleeps and an on screen display showing the camera's position and speed limit. It is easy to enable / disable the speed camera function. Although there seems to be no speech announcements regarding the cameras, the bleeps are sufficiently loud to make them impossible to miss. All in all I'm more than pleased with the thing. I don't think you can do better for under £100. If you haven't done so it's worth visiting the website at www.guideandplay.com. Let me know if you decide to keep it or not!

Regards Terry
windup
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terrywallis wrote:
windup wrote:
terrywallis wrote:

Hi terry,

Hi, Yes I paid 19 Euros for the speed camera database. The device alerts you to the presence of a speed camera by a series of bleeps and an on screen display showing the camera's position and speed limit. It is easy to enable / disable the speed camera function. Although there seems to be no speech announcements regarding the cameras, the bleeps are sufficiently loud to make them impossible to miss. All in all I'm more than pleased with the thing. I don't think you can do better for under £100. If you haven't done so it's worth visiting the website at www.guideandplay.com. Let me know if you decide to keep it or not!

Regards Terry

Thanks Terry,
I have also spoken to the Harmon Kardon support desk. They say the cam update is easy to import and from your own experience I probably will go and subscribe. I have however found an alternate site that suggests it can supply a free overlay for the GSP500.. not sure how 'free and useable' that may be.
I also asked about future Map updates and was told there will be upgrades in the future, probably 2009, all tho they will only be every 2 years or so. Need to keep an eye on the support websites.
Thanks again. Very Happy
terrywallis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you know, but I forgot to mention that you need to buy an SD card to download the speedcam database to. My Morrisons has 2Gig cards for £7.50.
windup
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terrywallis wrote:
I'm sure you know, but I forgot to mention that you need to buy an SD card to download the speedcam database to. My Morrisons has 2Gig cards for £7.50.

Ok thanks, yes I have some SD cards.. how large is the file download?
Also , just an extra query, does the 500 give warnings of the cameras even if you are not following a specific route..i.e. when you are driving around locally with it just switched on.?
Thanks again.
terrywallis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The file download is about 600Kb. As to your other question, I can't remember! I think it works with the unit just switched on (ie not navigating) but don't quote me on this![/i]
windup
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terrywallis wrote:
The file download is about 600Kb. As to your other question, I can't remember! I think it works with the unit just switched on (ie not navigating) but don't quote me on this![/i]

OKIDOKI.. next step is to get the download.
Many thanks.. I'll update later.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: