Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom RDS-TMC only showing 1 minute delay?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom RDS-TMC only showing 1 minute delay?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erikthecat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: the 1 minute delay is back / it never went away! Reply with quote

.. i hope i'm in the correct place?!

hi could someone assist?

i have TomTom 720 with rds-tmc a v4.00.013 replacement unit,
this combination did work after a fashion sometime before tom tom replaced my defective rds-tmc.
subsequently i updated the software, and like so many others i'm now getting the 1 min delay:(
i was on 7.480, but did manage to revert back to 7.221 to hopefully restore some rds-tmc functionality,
but i'm still having issues.

i thought i'd backed up my device when i first bought it, but a search of my HD returns nothing:(

i've found several ...

TomTomApplicationforGO520GO720andGO920

type folders, each containg files named....

navecore_7.toc
program
navecore_7.01.8290.gox20.cab

is there any way i can restore my 720 by using these files?

as i said there are several for me to potentially try , some dating back to when i first bought this tomtom, so if i can go back, i could try all of the versions that i once had, until i find the one that works? good plan eh? :)

or did i dream it?

i hope someone can confirm that this is possible and how to do it.

many thanks for your time,

Regards,

GaRy:)
map we 710.1561
rds-tmc v4.00.013 (replacement)
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a version of Navcore 7 that displays the delay info correctly.

7.221 and earlier versions reported no delay info, 1 minute or a stupidly high delay.

7.48x seem not to report delay info at all.

If your unit is stable on 7.48x and you don't seem to have any of the issues others are having you may as well stay on that release. The drawback is the way the green circle behaves, it takes 10 mins before it changes AFTER you have lost the signal.

Andy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll find that the "best" functionality comes with v7.221, simply because it is a little more informative. I think the 1 Min depends on the type of incident, it says 1 Min for some and not for others. Nevertheless, the time delay information is complete rubbish. All these examples were taken today (and I sailed through every delay without noticing them) and are v7.221, to which I reverted after finding 7.480 even worse - that often didn't give any indication of incidents until you went into the "Show traffic on route" menu. Also, 7.480 didn't show any time delay, like these do.

EDIT. Regarding the fo0urth picture, I got home at 4:00pm!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take a look here you will see the screenshots from 7.481 and screenshots from GPRS on 7.481 which is exactly as the TMC SHOULD look.

If anyone has screenshots from a x10 running Navcore 6 can they post them as apparently it still works under Navcore 6.

Has anyone tried running Navcore 6 on a x20 yet? - I wouldn't like to be the first to try - the chances of hosing the device are quite high!

Just noticed Dennis - you have a very rare shot of two incidents on the sidebar - that is a rare site indeed!

The only problem I have with 7.221 is the stupid delay times - I would rather not know than be told it is 6 hours plus!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
Just noticed Dennis - you have a very rare shot of two incidents on the sidebar - that is a rare site indeed!

Is it worth money? Jumping With Joy

I prefer 7.221 because it does give an indication on the side bar.

COLINRG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like this problem ain't going to be fixed soon. TomTom have just added a further free 12 months GPRS subscription to my account due to the on going RDS/TMC problems.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINRG wrote:
Looks like this problem ain't going to be fixed soon. TomTom have just added a further free 12 months GPRS subscription to my account due to the on going RDS/TMC problems.
Could you please paste a copy of the notification you got of this offer, together with the name of the person at TomTom who did it - I'm trying to get this temporary solution and my current "handler" at TT doesn't want to know.
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=393580#393580

AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this:

Quote:
Response (Christine G. (UK)) 26/03/2008 02.14 PM
Dear Mr Vaughan,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support

Due to the inconvienence we have assigned a 3 month traffic subscription to your account.

I have complained that they only gave me 3 months when others have been given 12 month and they just closed the call without replying!!!!!!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I have just noticed my call about the change in functionality has just disappeared off of my account as well - looks like I will have to raise a call to ask why the call has been removed!

I think I must be getting on their nerves again!

Andy
COLINRG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Response (Will G. (UK)) 07/04/2008 12.53 PM
Dear Mr. *****,

Thank you for contacting TomTom customer support.

Unfortunately the issue you have encountered with the TomTom TMC Traffic receiver is still being investigated.

We have extended your free use of the TomTom Traffic PLUS Service by one year. The service will be available to you until 05 April, 2009.

We will continue to investigate the issue that you have encountered and as soon as a solution has been developed, we will release a software update.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

I had to phone them a few times to get any response. After quoting the Sale of Goods Act and advising that my next step was to the small claims court the above offer materialised.
jonfieldsend
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Not sure this post will add anything new to the debate but just for the record I've been having similar problems as everyone has written about. I have now upgraded (up?) the software on my 520 and I don't get ridiculous delays now but instead whilst the system can't stop telling me "Your route has been recalculated, it has not been changed" it doesnt seem to have a clue about how long delays are. I found this out to my cost on Sunday night whilst returning to London down the M1. The 520 knew that there were cones all over the place but didn't know as well as i did that I had hardly moved for half an hour.

I've just been carrying out an experiment comparing my 520 with my good old faithful 710, both whilst receiving traffic information via RDS TMC. With the same starting point I gave both of them a route to calculate. The 520 found some traffic probelms but never recalculated. The 710 found the same problems but did come up with alternatives. Sensible ones too.

I've really lost faith in TomTom over this. I will let early adopters find out what the x30 series is like before I splash my cash again.

Jon

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: