Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOMTOM GO 520T
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOMTOM GO 520T

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SQUARE2024
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: TOMTOM GO 520T Reply with quote

I am waiting on delivery of a 520 T,on reading this forum have I wasted my money ?.

Does the traffic work ok?
I presume it can run two systems Traffic as per your radio Tomtom traffic via your mobile. have I got this correct & which is the better to use ?

When you purchase the TomTom traffic what does the lifetime subsription cover ?

Sorry for all the questions but trying to get it clear in my head.
Confused Confused Confused
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two different methods to receive traffic data, the GPRS way requires use of a compatible mobile phone and a subscription every 12 months, the RDS delivery is via the FM radio network and is free to use once the receiver is purchased.

Reception of dat via GPRS is much easier that with the RDS device which still suffers from regional poor coverage depending upon where you are in the UK.

You cannot use both connection methods at the same time, once the RDS device is connected it will automatically disable the GPRS traffic connection.

The actual data supplied via either method is from the same source (ITIS Holdings) but with GPRS you get full country coverage in terms of data delivery, with RDS the coverage is more regional but in use this is not really a problem - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

You missed the bit out about how with the GPRS service you get reasonably accurate delay information, whereas with the RDS-TMC you either get no delay information, a delay of 1 minute or an absolutely massive delay until TT get round to fixing the software.

Andy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, you are quite correct any device running version 7 software utilising the RDS TMC device will not give accurate delay information, hopefully this will be fixed in a new software update (a few months have gone by though with this problem logged originally by yourself IIRC) - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: