Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPSmap 278 POI question...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPSmap 278 POI question...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martyn_s30v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: GPSmap 278 POI question... Reply with quote

Hi all,

Quick question. I've just bought a GPSmap 278 mainly for use in me Landy, but I would like to know if I can install all the UK speed cameras as POI's?

According to garmin, the unit can store 3000 POI's and I see there are 10,000 cameras. Does this mean I cant use the camera database with this GPSR?

Tia.
Martyn.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you could use sub-sets of the data maybe static cameras or (and this is slightly harder) a geographical selection - use spreadsheet to do this - all info into one spreadsheet then sort by LAT, select the max min and delete the rest. Now sort by LONG and repeat - voila - regional information.

You would need to export the data in a format suitable for downloading to your unit (waypoint name, Lat, Long?) check the documentation.

The 3000 will be the max limit - choose what data sub set suits you best andleave yourself some spare waypoints for your own use.

Do you get audible prioximity warning on the 278?
Martyn_s30v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
Well you could use sub-sets of the data maybe static cameras or (and this is slightly harder) a geographical selection - use spreadsheet to do this - all info into one spreadsheet then sort by LAT, select the max min and delete the rest. Now sort by LONG and repeat - voila - regional information.

You would need to export the data in a format suitable for downloading to your unit (waypoint name, Lat, Long?) check the documentation.

The 3000 will be the max limit - choose what data sub set suits you best andleave yourself some spare waypoints for your own use.
Thanks. Looks a bit of a bind. Maybe a combination of local cameras as POI's and the map overlay for longer trips would work best for me.

Quote:
Do you get audible prioximity warning on the 278?
Well, I'll have to check to make sure (unit arrived today), but I'm almost certain. It has a power supply from the ciggy lighter with a built in speaker for voice prompts, but I think the unit itself beeps. It's a dual use road/marine unit which comes pre-loaded with autorouting software, but which Garmin sell as a marine chartplotter - so proximity alerts are definitely part of the units function.
Martyn_s30v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those interested, I trimmed out the camera database in a spreadsheet down to 650 GATSO cameras as suggested above and it works perfectly. I get audible beeps and on screen speed alerts etc. So this CSV database works (with some modification) with a Garmin 278 (and also a 276c cos it's basically the same unit).

Many thanks. Smile
Martyn_s30v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a FYI - I read that someone had uploaded over 38,000 POI's onto a garmin 60cx so I thought I'd see if I could upload the whole camera db onto my 278. Well the whole db went on, plus a load of other POI's which total 21,000 - all uploaded without issue. More to the point it still says I have 2989 custom points I can add. I dunno when the poiloader puts these, or what the real limit is, but it doesnt seem to touch the quoted 3000 user definable points at all.

Needless to say, I'm a happy bunny.
chrisrush
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Perhaps they mean 3000 POI categories. Each category could then contain thousands of individual POIs. Wink
Martyn_s30v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisrush wrote:
Hi,
Perhaps they mean 3000 POI categories. Each category could then contain thousands of individual POIs. Wink

No, I dont think so. The 2989 POI's left correlates with the 11 pre-loaded (demo) POI's that were in the unit on arrival and a couple I've added, to total 3000. If I create a waypoint in the unit itself, then the total available drops by 1, but the total isnt affacted when I use POIloader. I cant find any info on exactly how many I can add. I had thought that maybe they were added to the datacard, but the custom POI's are still available with the datacard removed, so they must be stored on internal memory. There must be a limit to how many I can add using POIloader, but it's far in excess of the stated 3000.
chrisrush
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martyn,

When you download the camera database (e.g. UK - Single file with all cameras) there are only 2 files (ignoring bmp, txt etc.) ie 2 POIs: pocketgps_uk_pmobile.csv - provisional mobile sites,
pocketgps_uk_sc.csv - fixed & mobile sites.

Each camera location does not constitute a POI category.
A waypoint would be 1 POI.

On my TT1 I currently have about 20 POIs. Individual locations amount to approx. 35000!!

Chris.
Martyn_s30v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisrush wrote:
Hi Martyn,

When you download the camera database (e.g. UK - Single file with all cameras) there are only 2 files (ignoring bmp, txt etc.) ie 2 POIs: pocketgps_uk_pmobile.csv - provisional mobile sites,
pocketgps_uk_sc.csv - fixed & mobile sites.

Each camera location does not constitute a POI category.
A waypoint would be 1 POI.

On my TT1 I currently have about 20 POIs. Individual locations amount to approx. 35000!!

Chris.

I take your point, but there are problems with that. Firstly, POI loader tells me I've installed 21000 poi's, but also, the number of categories doesnt correlate either.

If I manually add a single waypoint into the unit, the number goes down by one, if I add a database of POI's the number doesnt change at all - not even once or twice for the categories, let alone the 1000's of POI's that might be in each one.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using POILoader you generate a single file (.gpi) which is stored somewhere on the unit. The unit will use this information to add to the POI's in the basemap. This shouldn't take away from the standard waypoints which will be pre-allocated space in the main system memory and will be used to store conventional waypoints for route planning etc.

Whilst you should be able to navigate to a POI, as you can a waypoint, I suspect you wouldn't be able to create a route from POIs - which is why they aren't waypoints Laughing

I guess the total number of POI's you can load depends on the 'spare' memory available in the unit to hold the .gpi file.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: