Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - garmin 700 series v the tomtom x20 series which is best?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

garmin 700 series v the tomtom x20 series which is best?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cejsmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: garmin 700 series v the tomtom x20 series which is best? Reply with quote

Just seen the garmin now have the 700 series which seems to do everthing that the tomtom x20 series does. Has any one used the new garmin yet?

The reason I ask is I had to return my 720 becuase of the bluetooth problems and I want to buy a new system.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very similar post to what I asked below "Tomtom,Garmin user experience" The red cross issue made my mind up !!
I had no complaints about the Tomtom gps wise but the software leaves a lot to be desired. I expect when the Garmin 760 becomes available in the high street it will be the one I choose ,Also the availability of a bean bag dash mount is a plus point to me

I do not think the Garmin has speech input to an address facility where the Tomtom does(but I think is on the 2 announced in January do )
bradders2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cejsmith wrote:

Quote:
Just seen the garmin now have the 700 series which seems to do everthing that the tomtom x20 series does. Has any one used the new garmin yet?

Hi,
I have been using the nuvi 760 since Christmas. No problems apart from a slight glitch after software update, which I resolved. (See my post in All-in-one satnav products - nuvi forum dated today.) Overall, Im very happy with it. I especially like the ability to store up to 10 routes and use intermediate waypoints, which I can plan at home. The screen is very bright with clear mapping and is extremely readable with excellent auto day / night modes. Route recalculation commences within 100 metres of departing a route and resolves a new route in seconds. I haven't tried the bluetooth phone bit or FM TX through the car radio yet. Very Happy

john877 wrote:

Quote:
do not think the Garmin has speech input to an address facility where the Tomtom does(but I think is on the 2 announced in January do )

There is no speech input available on the 7xx series, but as John877 says, will be present on the 8xx series announcd at CES this month.

If cejsmith has any particular questions regarding the 760T, I'll be happy to answer them if I can.

Chris B

Garmin nuvi 2595LMT
Garmin nuvi 760T
Memory Map Adventurer 2800
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the version number is the map( I understand if the unit was bought from December onwards you will qualify for the free update when it comes out ) and how accurate do you find the maps and does it take you on any funny routes

Also are you running the 1 month free trail of safety camera alerts and how good do you find them also have you tried the traffic out do you find you get coverage in your area

Thank you Chris b for the info I am sure we both find it helpful
bradders2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john877 wrote:

Quote:
What is the version number is the map( I understand if the unit was bought from December onwards you will qualify for the free update when it comes out ) and how accurate do you find the maps and does it take you on any funny routes

My map version is City Navigator Europe NT 2008 i.e the latest version. My nuvi was bought from Global Positioning Systems (Expansys) in early December. I believe all 7xx UK series shipped with 2008 maps.

So far, the maps appear to be accurate, but I know of one major roundabout that has been in place for about a year near me is missing.

No funny routes as yet, but I am still evaluating the unit on known routes and "forcing" it to select my preferred route by inserting key waypoints.
One route entered which was partly new to me calculated the route I had been given, without any waypoints being inserted.

Quote:
Also are you running the 1 month free trail of safety camera alerts and how good do you find them also have you tried the traffic out do you find you get coverage in your area

The original Garmin / Cyclops camera database shipped with the unit was Jan 2007. I have only recently activated the 30 day trial and have now got the Jan 2008 update. So far all cameras passed have been clocked, they are directional, so only flag up cameras in the direction of travel. They also flag up mobile camera zones. I do not know the update rate of the Garmin camera database or how that and accuracy compare to the PGPSW version. More forum reading required to check for that!

The traffic function has been live (as indicated by the green status light on the car power outlet connector), going north from Preston on the M6, but have had no traffic alerts as yet. Smile I was quite suprised to find no signal (orange light) on the A590 (South Lakes). Surprised I had Trafficmaster in a previous car and I'm sure it worked there. Confused I think coverage is still mainly limited to motorways in the North West.

Chris B

Garmin nuvi 2595LMT
Garmin nuvi 760T
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info its a great help
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last question

When you use the text to speech for announcing road names does it announce it as for example take the A179 or does it say take the A one -hundred and -seventy -nine.
Thanks once again for your help but as there are no units in the shops as yet to look at its good to get some advice
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john877 wrote:
does it announce it as for example take the A179 or does it say take the A one -hundred and -seventy -nine.

Gonna be nigh on impossible for any unit to get that right, because WE are inconsistent in how we say them.
A1 to A100 we say the number normally "Ay ninety nine" etc.
A101 we say "Ay one - oh - one"
A120 we say Ay one twenty
A1050 we say Ay one oh five oh

Not easy...
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a Geordie dialect you are speaking in is it Very Happy

I take your point but it just seems a bit long winded for the sat nav to pronounce " now take the A one hundred and fifty nine and not "
now take the A --One ----Five ----Nine that was the point I was trying to make !
bradders2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john877 wrote:

Quote:
When you use the text to speech for announcing road names does it announce it as for example take the A179 or does it say take the A one -hundred and -seventy -nine.

John, for text to speech, my nuvi announces the road name i.e. Garmin Street, even though it may be the A6 or A49. It appears to take the local road name, which can change quite regularly along the route. I think that on an A road it should announce the A road number (as A forty nine). But on the motorway today, the M602 was announced as the M six hundred and two and the M61 as M sixty one, for instance.

Further up this thread, I suggested that the traffic report coverage was mainly confined to motorways in the North West. Sorry, that was a load of tosh! Embarassed I've found a lot of coverage today on A roads between Preston & Manchester. Smile

Edit
My wife has just reminded me that on several occasions, the A6xxx was announced as the A six thousand and whatever.

Chris B

Garmin nuvi 2595LMT
Garmin nuvi 760T
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks once again for the info

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: