Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PC Planning Software (Sat-Sync)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PC Planning Software (Sat-Sync)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rog62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...spoke to them this week (2nd Jan) as a new Active 10 owner and asked about SatSync...they said..."it will be available in a couple of weeks"...don't hold your breath!!
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just installed Activesync 4.5 Very Happy ....plugged in my Active 10 Very Happy ...and...it wasn't recognised. Rolling Eyes
nonoftheabove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well robs1972 your post begs the question
WHERE did you get hold of Activesync 4.5 OR for that matter any version of Activesync .
I ask as SatMap web site is rather stum about this matter.
I have filled in electronically the details when i first opened
the package a couple of months AGO but I never got an autoreply stating
that details were logged SO i feel as though I am left in the cold.
IF i need anything ITS a contact by phone call and that only produced well
the software was in development and release shortly:- well over 6 weeks ago.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Active Sync is available from the MicroSoft web site as a download for free, it is the software used to connect PDA based devices with your PC, it is nothing to do wth map editing or SatMap - Mike
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to raise your hopes, nonoftheabove....it's Satsync we are waiting for. I've just uninstalled Activesync 4.5 and got the previous version 4.2 and that doesn't work either.

I've copied a test route (My Route 3) held on my PC, renamed it to My Route 4 and written it to the SD card put it in the A10 and two routes called My Route 3 appear and can be viewed on the overview map function. Take the SD card out, open My Route 4 in Notepad and alter the name field to My Route 4 (as it was still showing 3) put it on the SD card, stick it in the A10 and only 1 My Route 3 appears.

So...the A10 can recognise things written to the SD card using a cardreader but not .map routes that have been adjusted on the PC and obviously not GPX files. We were told before we bought it that it would use GPX files, they thought it was going to use Activesync to transfer routes (a GPX conversion tool is not part of Activesync) so did they plan to have a GPX conversion tool too which had to be used prior to transfering? Or do you think it's possible that a GPX file could only be recognised if written straight to the A10's internal memory (using AS or in the future SS) and have to be moved to the SD card manually....bearing in mind that they already stated that the SD map card has plenty of space to store routes.
Jay1967
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robs1972 wrote:
bluewomble wrote:
Has anyone heard anything from SatMap recently about the expected release date of SatSync? Planning routes on the Active10 is a bit of a pain without some kind of PC interface...

I'm really tempted to email them but I know that the answer will be....'it's being tested and if all goes well should be available next week as a download from our website'. Rolling Eyes

Exactly.. Phoned them the day i bought my SatMap (TODAY 04-Jan-08). They said SatSync ready by the end of this week! Think i got more chance winning the lottery?!

I hadn't seen this forum before but wish I had.. I bought the 1:50k Entire UK and obviously the unit plus the bike mount: total: £490! and I cannot do what I'd purchased it to do... meaning, copying my gpx files across etc.

This forum holds a lot of negatives for this unit and im seriously worried now.. these problems don’t plague the my Garmin 60CSx.. this was ready to use out of the box 2 years ago!!

If you haven’t bought a SatMap yet consider the following:

Import/Export Software - NOT READY
Power options - NOT READY
Route Planning Software - NOT READY
SatMap User Forums – NOT READY
Erratic compass
Glitches in firmware causing lock ups and power deficiencies
Some basic route/track functionality missing from firmware

I'm seriously disappointed and thinking of a complete refund if this product is not fully functional by the time they said it would be (End of this week). It appears SatMap just have a standard answer to fob-off everyone.. I urge others to complain to SatMap directly if you haven't done so already.

I’m off out now… with my Garmin!
finkployd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="
Import/Export Software - NOT READY
Power options - NOT READY
Route Planning Software - NOT READY
SatMap User Forums – NOT READY
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. I think what we need to remember is that the nice folks at SatMap are in the SatMap selling business. That is thier number one reason to exist.

If you don't like the fact that the complete 'unit experience' (Unit, proper instruction manual, complete website, complete software) is just not available yet then it would be better not to buy the unit just yet.

I certainly bought the hype and thought I could live without the software for the next few weeks. This was when they released the unit.... I'm still waiting, thats almost three months now!

I want to:
Download the firmware myself, not phone them up and beg. It is MY unit after all.
Plot routes and download/upload them.
Get feedback from them now that my unit is registered. You're right, the registration process is rubbish, am I registered? am i not? who knows.
Read a proper instruction booklet.

The only way this stuff gets fixed is if these issues stop people buying a SatMap.

This is a seriously great product let down by empty promises.

Bah...
Jay1967
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO I dont think it will be too long before Garmin finally break into OSGB mapping. Cost obviously has been prohibitive but from what I've heard recently from an employee things maybe about to change? Take a look at the Garmin Colorado 400t, 60CSx functionality with a whole lot more thrown in. If what I heard was correct (OSGB plans) then this could prove interesting times. I love the 3D virtual view... imagine that with OSGB!!

From what Im sensing here if i were the CEO of SatMap i'd be making sure my consumers are happy! .. in fact, if Garmin do what i think their going to do, i'd be very worried!
kidstypike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The only way this stuff gets fixed is if these issues stop people buying a SatMap.

Well these issues have certainly stopped me from buying one (and my three brothers)!!!

kidstypike
Jay1967
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kidstypike wrote:
Quote:

Well these issues have certainly stopped me from buying one (and my three brothers)!!!

kidstypike

I think you've made a wise decision. I too would have made the same decsion if I'd come across this forum sooner. The SatMap is a great product due to using the OSGB maps but its simply not ready yet period!
kidstypike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF anyone from SatMap is reading this... I think that all the posters here who own an A10, should be given a full refund, and get to keep the unit for being unpaid beta-testers!

kidstypike
squired
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certainly keeping hold of my money for the moment until all of the problems have been resolved. One thing that certainly puts me off is the thought of standing there for maybe 20 minutes waiting for a position lock after I turn the unit on. No way would I accept that.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squired wrote:
One thing that certainly puts me off is the thought of standing there for maybe 20 minutes waiting for a position lock after I turn the unit on. No way would I accept that.
And I do not accept this either, if the device has not achieved a position fix after a couple of minutes I look at the GPS status page, if it looks blank then I remove a battery for a few seconds and switch it back on.
The device has always been ready in the time it takes me to put on the boots, gaiters etc when walking (I don't drive in walking boots - I don't find it too easy) - Mike
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay1967 wrote:
Take a look at the Garmin Colorado 400t, 60CSx functionality with a whole lot more thrown in. If what I heard was correct (OSGB plans) then this could prove interesting times. I love the 3D virtual view... imagine that with OSGB!!

It depends on the price - but I am looking at one of the Colorado units as my next outdoor GPS - probably the 300. If it really does go on to support OSGB then that would be a nice to have. But it probably won't change the way I walk (plan on computer/print maps and route plan/download to GPS/go walking). I like to see a bigger picture than you typically get on a handheld device. I have both MemoryMap and Anquet running on my Axim X51v with 640*480 resolution - it's very nice - but still doesn't show me enough at a resolution I can read easily. 3D is (IMHO) a bit gimmicky at present. On a PC I find it awkward as the 'hills' have distorted OSGB roads/tracks/rivers/writing on them, but it gives you an idea of the task ahead. But it's not much use 'in the field' - anyway you can see the hills - which is the main point of walking isn't it Wink

I hope that SatNav do continue to develop the product as it does have some very nice features. If they don't then the current big boys (eg GARMIN) will do it. All we need is to have sensibly priced OSGB mapping products - and I need to change the way I go walking Laughing
DougWeller
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Garmins do look extremely attractive. I certainly won't buy a SatMap as things stand, which is disappointing to me. I hoped to have one by now but following all these threads has discouraged me.
Doug

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: