Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Do you remove the mount?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you remove the mount?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Stolen SatNav?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuel925
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Do you remove the mount? Reply with quote

After reading reports that people are having their satnavs stolen from their glovebox's, it has made me think about removing the mount from the car when the satnav isn't in use. Even though I always remove the satnav from my car, I dont want my window smashed because some prat has seen the mount, and wants to see if its in my glovebox... how many people here remove the mount along with the unit itself?
FazerUK
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always remove the mount and sat nav, I will always try and remove it before I park up just incase someones is walking passed and see the tomtom in my windows and cames back for a look after I have gone
Western_Europe-Map v650.1127
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the police are advising that all sat nav equipment ie GPS unit, mount, power lead, etc is removed from view when leaving your vehicle.

Whether you leave it hidden in the glovebox, under a seat or in the boot is up to you but there have been reports that cars have been broken into purely because of tell tale mount sucker marks left on windscreens.
fuel925
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sucker marks are something I didnt think about! I'm gonna have to give the screen a wipe every time I remove the mount!
morticiaskeeper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought a vent mount so no sucker marks on the windscreen. The mount looks just like a mobile mount.

Luckily, the shape of my car (VW Sharan) still gives good reception.
arfur
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my car broken into because I left the mount/cradle in the window

Now I have changed pda and need a new mount, I am wondering whether to buy another suction mount and keep taking out. Or to get a Brodit clip and a non powered mount (hide the power cable) or a powered version and hope that as its not on the screen its not as visible.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Brodit mounts for my iPAQs. When I parked my vehicle at the PocketGPSWorld.com Christmas Dinner venue, I removed the Brodit active holders from the dashboard mounted ProClips, which leave an almost stealth installation. I also cleaned the inside of the windscreen to remove the sucker marks of the radar detector mount.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
sorento
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my Go300 stolen, never stuck it on the screen so no marks.

The police said that they see you on the road using a sat nav and they will follow you for miles, hoping to see where you live by parking on a drive.
Then they just come back at their leasure and if your car is there, they just pop a window on the off chance. If they get caught, they just get a slap on the wrist. If you catch them and give them a slap. you get done for assault.
What a bloody country we live in.

Steve W
galaxymadbaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always remove the mount, recently had my car broken into for stereo and sat nav, they got the mount and p/s and stereo but the Go 500 was in the house, caused a great deal of inconvenience and i'm nearly 400 quid out of pocket, not worth claiming on insurance as excess is 350 quid. To add insult to injury the 3 towrags that did it, were caught doing another car, and only ordered to pay £16 compensation each.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
I use Brodit mounts for my iPAQs. When I parked my vehicle at the PocketGPSWorld.com Christmas Dinner venue, I removed the Brodit active holders from the dashboard mounted ProClips, which leave an almost stealth installation. I also cleaned the inside of the windscreen to remove the sucker marks of the radar detector mount.

Regards,

i've been using brodits since tt2 and never been broken into (touching wood madly) as i think thieves only glance at the windows while walking past not down at the console ..hey i might be wrong ..as i have often had to park in dodgy places while working too
truckerdave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always remove my sat nav from my truck before i park up and i also wipe the window where the mount has been to get rid of the mark of the mount in sun light u can see the mount mark
IsaacKite
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FazerUK wrote:
I always remove the mount and sat nav, I will always try and remove it before I park up just incase someones is walking passed and see the tomtom in my windows and cames back for a look after I have gone

I wear a belt-mounted leather tomtom case Pretty tidy to wear, and I make a show of turning off and putting my tomtom in it as I walk away. End of problem and threat! Wink
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to readily confess that I leave BOTH the mount for my TomTom and my mobile phone, on the windscreen all the time.

BUT... let me be clear, a bit like Dennis sometimes does, this is a case of "Don't do as I do, do as I say..." In that I DO NOT encourage you to do this.

The proper advice is to remove all trace of any sat-nav, from wires, to mounts, to sucker marks, as well as making sure no one is around as you pull up etc.

That's what you SHOULD be doing.

But for me, I just find it too much hassle.

So I leave the mounts up.

ANOTHER BUT though...

In so doing, I have two laminated colour A4 notices, clear with "Stop" logo, Anti-theft in red, "Traffic Police Car", A "Burglar Image" etc, and a simple plain English note along the lines of:

"Anti-theft Notice. Please be aware - electrical items, valuables, and other items of worth are NEVER left in this car when parked unattended, or left overnight.

Windscreen mounts are left permanently attached. Valuable items are NEVER left in the vehicle however!
"

Now, VERY questionable how good this is or not, as some thieves might just think yeah yeah, I've heard that before!

But were they to break a window, they would NOT find my sat-nav, as I do actually remove it.

So you do NOT remove all risk of break in. It's merely a slight benefit to reducing the likelihood, no more than that.

But as I said at the start, in a similar vein to Dennis often doing, quite rightly of him too, don't do as I DO, do as I SAY.

And the proper advice is to remove all trace, as highly burdensome as this is.
Johnny_D
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the same as Shad.

I just don't bother. However I do think it might have a lot todo with where you live and what you do and where you leave you car. When I used to park in the london underground car park I always removed the mount and cleaned the windscreen. Only place I ever used todo it.

Is it possible that there are so many units around now that the initial problems we saw with item's like the G300/500/700 units has been reduced? I remember being the only car with one for ages. Now every 3rd car seems to have a SatNav fitted.

Just a thought.

JD
Bloody Superb PGPSW Camera Database.
Not much else!
adventurer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a brodit mount for my device. It has a power supply built in and it also has the TMC connector attached.

I have had the power supply hard wired in and have also had the TMC connector mounted inside the dash with only the small end showing by the front of the windscreen. This you can hardly see and only looks like a small bit of wire. Got all the hard wiring done by halfords for £10 should have been £40.

So I am unable to remove the brodit mount. It is fixed mounted with a proclip low on the dash.

I have also got a label machine and I have put a label onto the brodit mount which can only be seen when I remove my GPS that says GPS HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM CAR. I don't know if this will help but I have been ok so far.

Maybe the thieves will be able to read and think it is not worth the effort.

The thing is, its not a bluff as I do removed my GPS from the car.

GlobalSat Bluetooth GPS - BT 338

Now IPhone 4 with Tom Tom

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Stolen SatNav? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: