Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Destinator 7, any news?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Destinator 7, any news?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
willton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramsses wrote:
if you have a road called 'XXX Place', it will call it 'Place des XXX' with the EnglishUK language

I noticed this one too - there is a Roseberry Avenue near me which comes out as Avenue Du Roseberry in the voice and the navi display!! I hadn't mentioned it yet cos i thought you all would think i was being excessively negative about the product Sad
But thanks for the fix Andy - and for the one about the Road Numbers Very Happy

There are a number of anomalies with the directions now too - previously (D6) it was a simple 2 miles, 500 yds 200 yds and then right on the turn was the final announcement - all given on the button. Perfect.
Now in D7 we have 2 miles, 1 mile, 350 yds (given at 450 yds) then a final one BEFORE the turning, so it says e.g. Turn Left just when you are at the turning BEFORE Evil or Very Mad I also got some 35 yard announcements too but i havent established why these appear yet - they seem inconsistent. Rolling Eyes but they seem to tie in with the final one i.e.35 yards too early
ramsses
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The road naming bug seems to be in the underlying map data - the fix I suggest is just a work-around.

Willton: In conversations with Destinator, it might be worth pointing this thread to them as we seem to have unconvered a few interesting bugs.

As regards destinator vs Tomtom vs Igo or whatever, the main thing for me is the TrafficSAM TMC stuff - which only Route66 compares to in the UK (although they use iTIS data rather than TrafficMaster for their data provider). IGo is excellent (you can hack it to pieces and make it whatever your want - I am the author of the AndySK skins for Igo - so I know what can be done!). Tomtom is fast, easy to use and reliable, but somewhat basic and the lack of TMC (I do not wish to pay a fortune for their traffic data and GPRS charges) is a big negative. It is also virtually impossible to do any significant customisation. Both IGo and Tomtom are let down in the UK by their map provider being Teleatlas rather than Navteq like D7, Route 66 and Navigon (although Tomtom PDA can be made to use the Navteq Tomtom Rider maps, this is violation of the EULA). Route 66 always gives the impression of being not quite finished, although is very fast; it also has rather old map data now (2006.Q2). Navigon looks nice, but unless you hack it to bits, it is very slooow, and has no TMC in the UK.

I still have a soft spot for Destinator. Although a bit old fashioned and quirky in places, it actually performs very well in the getting you to your destination reliably and by the best route stakes. The TrafficSAM and new TTS functionality make it better still.

Andy
Quickbeam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick answers Willton, I think they've retained the bits I liked enough to upgrade to D7.

There is of course no perfect product yet... To me there are maybe 5 or 6 products that if the best bits were incorporated, the perfect sat-nav would exist Laughing
willton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRock wrote:
D7 uses different distances with or without TTS. And they can not be altered.

I found that if you turn TTS off in the settings on the device (not uninstall TTS) it will go back to the previous distance warnings i.e. 500yds 200yds, so it does use different distances for TTS, which is shoddy.
willton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: After 3 weeks, a reply from Destinator Support Reply with quote

After over 3 weeks, a reply from Destinator Support:
thanks for your reply and sorry for the delayed reaction.

As your reporting in extremly detailed and voluminous, we forwarded your e-mail to the department which is responsible for development. Our colleagues at the main office will contact you as soon as possible.

Please notice, that the latest version doesnīt have to contain the same fuctions as the previous versions!

Should you have further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

kind regards
Destinator Technologies GmbH Service Center

With reference to the patronising comment about functionality in new versions, I have written back suggesting that Destinator should make it clear what the product is offering before customers spend any money. Destinator needs to show a comparison chart with all the differences so customers know what to expect.

I have also reverted back to D6 as I am disgusted with D7, and have asked for my money back.

On a lighter note - how is everyone else getting on with it?
efjay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way to use the newer maps from D7 with PN? I tried D6 and had issues on my Tytn and returned it for a refunt and from first accounts it seems D7 has issues as well. I am back using PN and find it works very well on my XDA Orbit apart from the maps being from 2004. All I need are updated maps and PN would be optimal for me.
TheRock
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PN can use the old maps with 'standard' compression.
Newer D6 maps and the D7 maps do have the new high compression.
For these maps you need D6.1 or higher.

Short answer: PN can not be used with D7 maps.

But in my opinion is D6.1.1 much better than PN and D7 much better than D6.
I would never ever consider to switch back. Smile
willton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRock wrote:
in my opinion is D6.1.1 much better than PN and D7 much better than D6.
I would never ever consider to switch back. Smile

I think that Destinator 7.1 - i.e. after the update has been released to fix all of the bugs present in the current initial release - will be well worth upgrading to. As per D6, the first release is unfortunately flawed. Rolling Eyes
efjay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, lets hope Destinator addresses all the issues AND gets round to releasing the US version soon.
jbn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using D7 for a couple of weeks since upgrading from D6.

1) I was using on an HTC Hermes under WM6 and I like the fact that the Hermes is supported - audio output via the connector is now OK.
2) I had no problems with TTS but since downgrading the Hermes to WM5 to try to combat a known memory leak that causes grief to D7, I cannot quite get this to work properly. Seems like basic directions are OK but no TTS despite all the right boxes being ticked and I have reinstalled several times.
3) Can anyone PLEASE recommend a basic text editor for the destinator.ini file etc? I have tried various ones and the net effect seems always to be that D7 just ignores the file altogether and appears to create a new one from scratch. Most frustrating!!

many thanks!
Jonathan
ramsses
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must use an editor capable of saving as unicode text. I use ultraedit.

Andy
TheRock
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbn wrote:
3) Can anyone PLEASE recommend a basic text editor for the destinator.ini file etc? I have tried various ones and the net effect seems always to be that D7 just ignores the file altogether and appears to create a new one from scratch. Most frustrating!!

Try total-commander: http://www.ghisler.com/pocketpc.htm
jbn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I have found that my enthusiasm for setting USER_ABOUT_SHUTDOWN=0 in the perhaps mistaken belief that it would stop the check Do You REALLY Want To Shut Down? seems to trigger the reset of things. Leaving this line alone seems to keep things quieter.

In the meantime I worked around the TTS problem by going back to WM6. There was no real evidence that WM5 was not having similar memory issues anyway.

Like everyone I too look forward to easier user changes to the set-up. But having used both TomTom and Mapopolis I have to say that D7 really is not bad, and the TTS is particularly decent. Now, if only it would route me over the Forth bridge outside Edinburgh instead of ignoring it................ Very Happy
willton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wishing you all a gr8 2008. Here is the final reply from Destinator:

Thank you for your email and your patience.

This is the feedback we got from the technical department:

1) Map Scale
This was the first time, this issue have been reported and the technicians reported it to the developers.

2)TTS Road Numbers in 1,000's
have been forwarded to the developers as well.

3)csv load failure
have been forwarded to the developers as well

4)
The function "map cutting" isnīt offered and there will not come an adjustment for this.

5)uploading maps failure
Is reported already and a patch for the pc portal will solve this. At time we donīt know when a patch will be offered on the website.

6)This is the only report to this item - we donīt know if an update to this item will appear. This could be a hardware(pda or SD card) issue as well.
(WT: this was the problem with map redraw delay - other users on other forums have reported this as an issue and resolved it by map cutting)

7)transparent
It wasnīt planned and an adjustment will not come.

9)device stops
This issue didnīt happened during our tests at all. This error has most of the time something to do with the pda and/or SD card.
(WT: this was the problem with device hanging on switch on - other users on other forums have reported this as an issue)

11) Click
This Click is intended to be a kind of help for the user, so he can hear, that he hit the button. Of course we can forward your suggestion for improvement.
(WT: this can be resolved by the user - rename or delete the click.wav file)

12)POI announcing alert
Destinator 6 alerts only
Destinator 7 with TTS says for example alert gasstation.
We didnīt receive any notification that it doesnīt work in Destinator 7.
(WT: this was the problem with non display of the name of the Favourite POI group on proximity - now only voice but only if TTS is switched on)

13)POI
We didnīt receive any notification that it doesnīt work.This issue have been completly revised and it really should be unlimited. How many data sets did you try to import/copy?
(WT: this was the problem with unlimited POI's - can other users please attempt to load the full split category Speed Cam files and report back to the forum)

14) As desired by most of the Destinator customers, Destinator decided to remove this option and will not change this back. (WT: this was the problem with U-Turn - you can restore this by editing the ini file)

15) County Option
We apologise for the mistake in the manual.

16)Skins
In the present version the standard skins are offered only. If further skins will be offered in the future isnīt known yet.

17)gives direction and turn
We reported it to the technicians. Their feedback: This was the first and only report to this issue. But of course we will check this as well. Should you have further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.
ramsses
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the TTS stops working as you go into 2008!

Changing the time back on the PDA and it works again!

Andy

If you look in SVOXKEYS.TXT:

E 1 2 2007 CPS 4.0 Destinator Uri 10 31 12 2007
VTXPKEDAYIKEAHRUKSFCBLUPHWRXNFGQWMRKRPXHSLGQWQRTPHOCBLRZOBOWVUVUPPVUOFRZTCJMPXCAVRJUSXUVLGAJRSTV

Hmmm, I think destinator screwed up!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Destinator All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: