Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One Third Edition
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One Third Edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vinniet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello ... I picked up the TomTom One 3rd US during Black Friday. It cost me $105 when it was all done (great deal!). One thing interesting is there is a full 1GB of internal space.

Now to my question ....

What other options can you build in the custom menu? Right now I do not need traffic but would like MapShare. What are all the menu options available? Is there a menu building program, I seem to remember one that was web based.

Thanks!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The custom menu can re-arrange just about all of the icons that were there on v6 menus.
The items that have been added in v7 (Help me, Mapshare etc) are the ones that cannot.

How To Re-arrange The Menus On The Tomtom Go And Navigator is a "How to, I wrote a long time ago on custom menus.
It also has links to two different menu builder helper applications, one on-line and the other a downloadable program.

Note, they were ALL produced before v7 messed things up.
vinniet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks .. With some searching I did find someone saying those new menu items were missing to pick. I am wondering if they just have not found the proper name to pick for TomTom.mnu.

Its a shame because I could do without Traffic but would like MapShare. I see how you can have the icon to capture a correction, but is there a way to correct it without the menu item?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly not, the new functions are not called in the software in the same way as the other commands, for now all you can do is switch between normal and custom menu by re-naming the TomTom.mnu file as required - Mike
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked a US One 3rd up, for $149. Has USA/Canada and a Guam map. Hehehe. Storage is "1" GB, meaning of course 978.1 MB, not 1,024 MB. After you delete the Guam map and some of the more useless voices (Spanish, French), and adding the raster folder from previous versions of TT6 (yeah, I like the pretty sat images, and it actually works), you still have 85.2 MB available.

The contents of the package are rather sparse:
USB charger for the ciggie lighter.
USB/charger cable for at home.
a super primitive suction cup hold for the windshield. With a neck that's an astounding full inch long
a setup poster
the device itself

No CD.
No sleeve or bag or strap

Connect to your computer, download TomTom Home. Download the newest version of the software and install, delete voices and pointless POI files (what am I supposed to do with 'playgrounds'? And that was a pre-installed add-on).

Run a backup. Don't be stymied when it appears to be stalling, because at least on the Mac version of TTHome, the file size only gets updated after every file. Takes forever, too. Die, USB1.1, die!

The thing acquires a satellite fix /really/ quick, i.e. by the time you clicked through the splash and initial setup screens, it has already got one. Nice. The speaker is LOUD! 40% volume equals about a hundred on the Dell Axim or T-Mobile Wing.

There is no slot for add-on memory. But there's a connector for TMC receiver. By the time such things and services become available at this side of the pond, I expect to have my very own flying car, too. Right next to it is a mini USB connector and the reset button.

The ONE/3rd is nice and snappy, thanks to a 266Mhz CPU, I guess.

The helpme menu is utterly pointless. Mostly thanks to the idiotic collection of POIs. Yay, I can find the nearest muffler shop and computer store ("CPU Hospital".

Well, backup is done. Time to hack the hell out of this little guy.
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geeez. There's no "name preferences" menu point anymore. Now names are displayed as "N Main Street 1234". And my entire damn city is now called "Grange Hall" instead of Marshall? WTF? Grange Hall is a church and a cemetery, why does my home location display as being in "Grange Hall, TX"? Is this all getting worse instead of better?
And should map corrections and errors take effect at least on my device? I don't see where TTHome is sending anything.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right about 'Name preferences'... On the Menu items list for each device HERE the 3rd Edition is the only model without it.
But if you've been following this topic, it's pretty obvious that the "3rd Ed" has been crippled in as many ways as TT can think of, so you can't say you weren't warned!
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I wonder if I could just go and copy the preferences file from a TT6 for PDA over...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can add some of the major missing features back with a custom menu
(see Mike Alder's sample menu in the first post of this topic to get the Itinerary planning and Manage POI menus).
I think the menu item for name prefs is:
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_NAME_DISPLAY|
*info from openTom.org HERE
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kar98 wrote:
Hmm, I wonder if I could just go and copy the preferences file from a TT6 for PDA over...

Quote:
Well, backup is done. Time to hack the hell out of this little guy.

Hehehe, and aren't we all glad for backups Embarassed
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kar98 wrote:
And should map corrections and errors take effect at least on my device? I don't see where TTHome is sending anything.

Ah. That would be because the one that's offered as latest download of TomTom Home for Mac is 1.5, which doesn't actually include mapshare.

This one does:
http://www.tomtom.com/updates/home_16_mac/TomTomHOME_1.6.020.dmg
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, somewhere on here is a quote from a TomTom spokesperson saying something along the lines of "it isn't a mistake, that's the way it is meant to be".

I can only assume it is some marketing decision along the lines of "if the cheapest product is too good, no one will buy the expensive ones".
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
You're right about 'Name preferences'... On the Menu items list for each device HERE the 3rd Edition is the only model without it.

Fixed that Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

onesexylady wrote:
It says on that list that view route is missing too but on this site its saying its on there http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-1N01060-ONE-Great-Britain/dp/B000TXHDM6

It took me a while to find it in that Amazon page, but it does say:
"Clear instructions
Crystal clear 3D and 2D graphics for perfect viewing day and night
View Route: review and test the calculated route before you start driving."

It would seem a rather drastic menu item to leave off as it leads to all the "view as text" "view as pictures" "demo the route" etc sub-menus.
Also, no one else has mentioned it's missing so it COULD just be a typo on that list, but it DOES say it has been REMOVED from the Classic Go as well!
Can anyone with a 3rd edition or a Go Classic confirm this one way or the other?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read the first post in this thread I did mention how the icon was missing for the route menu page, however I also mentioned how you get to it Wink , it is only the method to get at the menu page that differs with the Third Edition - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 3 of 18

Jump to: