Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New 910 user
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New 910 user

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gk172
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: New 910 user Reply with quote

I was fortunate enough to purchase a tomtom 910 2 weeks ago and took it for a trial run yesterday to test a route with 5 cameras, it picked up the 4 newest and missed out the oldest camera Confused also it failed to find the asda store which has been there for 4 or 5 years but i knew where i was going anyway, so this lead me back to the box and thinking maybe i dont have uptodate maps and on checking the unit its running western and central europe v650.1052 so i took the the card that came with it and tried to activate the card via tomtom home but im getting that its either invalid or expired, so where does that leave me do i have to purchase uptodate maps which i would need north america and the western and central europe which looking onsite would cost £80 Shocked

Having never used tomtom before is this normal? I used the garmin i3 (i think) and the updated map was free. Any advice please on what to expect?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would contact TomTom directly in the morning (0845 161 0009), if the device is still in the same software state it was when you bought it it will be running version 6 software, the latest is version 7 which you will need to use the newest map.
As for the camera files, are these TomTom's own database or have you installed the database from this site?
I would also suggest you fully back up your 910 to the PC's hard drive, don't rely upon TomTom Home to do this as the early versions of Home corrupted the Test To Speech folder, use the method detailed as #1 on the FAQ page which does produce a reliable back up, this is essential BEFORE you do anything with the unit, see This Thread for the FAQ's - Mike
gk172
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Wink I used the latest version of tomtom home to back up as it prompted me to do so before i did anything else but i will do a windows back up and burn to dvd, as for the cameras it was whatever the 910 came with im not that clued up on it yet to be trying to install databases yet but i have added a couple of voices. Thanks for the number i will give them a call in the morning.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the POIs and cameras, Mike was too polite to say:
1. the TomTom camera database is not terribly good (but getting better). The one from this site is generally thought to be more accurate, more comprehensive (it does all possible mobile sites - TT's doesn't) and updated more often.
2. The built in POIs range from barely adequate for some, to downright scandalous for others. Try "Libraries" - if it's like mine there is ONE in the entire country and that is spelt wrong! Your nearest "Doctor" will also probably be in Dublin or Belgium.
gk172
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done a back up via windows explorer but the size is too big to burn to dvd i take it i will have to split it and burn 2 discs? And i will do the update for the speed cameras once i get the maps sorted, i apprecaite all your help as im still new with the 910 having my first test of it yesterday Very Happy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the Loquendo folder on one disk and the other folders/ files should fit on the second disk, the TTS folder and files on the 910 are huge! - Mike
gk172
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, its burning as i type Wink
gk172
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update i called tomtom and they have said they will add on the updated maps but i dont know when they will do it or if they will activate my product code? Does anyone know how it ill work as thursday/friday they were responding really fast with updating the questions but ive heard nothing since friday and ive tried connection the 910 but no maps are coming up when i hit update so not really sure.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: