Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT Go and Traffic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT Go and Traffic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: TT Go and Traffic Reply with quote

Does the TT GO support TrafficLine, as for TT3 (when it comes out in ?June)?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

Looking at the TomTom website, I don't think it does. Sad

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that matter neither does TT3 (as yet!) - it only occured to me the other day that this was a touted "feature" of the software when I was considering buying and as I had not seen anything about it, so off we went to the Tomtom website and....Oh! I see it comes out in May Hmmmmm

Does anyone have an idea how this will work? will I have to have my mobile connected to their website for the whole journey (will this be a cost per minute or per kb downloaded) and therefore unable to make or receive calls (hands free of course!) - not entirely sure about any of this, but do know that if I have paid for it I want it!!! (can you tell I'm a Yorkshireman???)

Steve
NickE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't seen anything else on this feature apart from what Tomtom have on their website, but as it says that it uses GPRS for the traffic data, then this is charged by data volume i.e. £/MB. It's a permanent connection and shouldn't interfere with the ability to make and receive calls - although this latter may depend on phone models and/or networks.

More interesting is going to be trying to run a system using PDA to Bluetooth GPS, PDA to Bluetooth phone for GPRS AND Bluetooth phone to Bluetooth headset for hands-free. In theory it should work, interesting to see in practice.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely no traffic support in the Go! product.

As for PocketPC, it needs a GPRS connection either via a connected Cellphone or using an XDA or similar. I would hazard a guess that it will make an initial download at the beginning of the journey and then subject to your chosen optiosn will update at set intervals i.e. every 30mins. The amount of data downloaded is small so costs would not be significant.
DavidH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I haven't got a mobile phone, PDA OR GPS (I know, where have I been hiding), and want TT3 with the famous, if not vapourware, TrafficInfo, is there any reason not to get the O2 XDAII which SEEMS to have good phone and good PDA in one box, rather than say Ipaq 2210 and some mobile?
Naturally, being all together, the XDAII would stop all operational conflicts Sad and make my life easy.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidH wrote:

Naturally, being all together, the XDAII would stop all operational conflicts Sad and make my life easy.

An optimist!!
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickE wrote:
More interesting is going to be trying to run a system using PDA to Bluetooth GPS, PDA to Bluetooth phone for GPRS AND Bluetooth phone to Bluetooth headset for hands-free. In theory it should work, interesting to see in practice.

In theory it should work, however, it's not likely to for many devices Sad

Although most PDAs support multiple Bluetooth connections at the same time (a serial link to the GPS and a dialup link to the phone), the majority of mobile phones only support 1 Bluetooth connection at a time, which means either a link to the PDA, or to the Bluetooth Headset, but not both at the same time. However, if TTN3 doesn't hold the phone bluetooth link open all the time (and the phone doesn't hold the headset link open all the time, which does depend on too many things to give a definitive answer to) it might well work (unless you are on a call when TTN3 attempts an update).

This problem of not supporting two Bluetooth connections at the same time has been heavily discussed in the Wayfinder forum for many of the Symbian OS based phones, as they have a similar problem of not being able to have a Bluetooth connection to both a Headset and a GPS at the same time.

Steve
DavidH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this not solved by having a wired GPS?
Of course you can't then put the GPS in the boot of your 30 ft long limo without a long extension lead, but is that really a problem for most people? I can see the theoretical attraction of no wires, but the hassles seem to outweigh that for me.
DavidH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Apologies. It's Tuesday 16:18, yet it's posted on Wed am, so I'm obviously good at time travel. Alternatively I may need to reset my clock]
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidH wrote:
Is this not solved by having a wired GPS?
Of course you can't then put the GPS in the boot of your 30 ft long limo without a long extension lead, but is that really a problem for most people? I can see the theoretical attraction of no wires, but the hassles seem to outweigh that for me.
True, although that's not the problem (PDA-GPS can be run alongside PDA-phone) - the problem is that the phone only supports one connection, whereas you need PDA-phone and phone-headset. However, the solution of using a wired headset, or a full car kit may well be the solution for many.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: