Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One Third Edition
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One Third Edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hachem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: This mod and new Navcore 7.131 Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

A new version of NavCore came out this morning. Do you know if this mod still works ?

I've read in other forums that TomTom was disabling the SDK. I would hate to lose the Itinerary and POI capabilties enabled with your menu mod.

Thanks
Marc
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custom menu will still work as they have not disabled that in any of the vesions/ devices I am running, the sdk software was a different tool set, just remember if you do this you loose the vs7 new features, but they can be re-instated by re-naming / removing the TomTom.mnu file - Mike
hachem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: This mod and new Navcore 7.131 Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, that's good to know.

I can live without the Mapshare/Help Me menus. It still seems to download and upload mapshare corrections (prior to the whole XLrunner problem) so I'm good.

Itineraries are more important for me. Just wish there was a way to preview the route that it will generate.

I found one by accident. If there is no GPS signal and you start navigating an itinerary it will let you pick a starting point.

Marc
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The route demo is available as supplied on the device, it is just not in the normal place!
Plan a route but DO NOT press "Done", instead press "Details", this brings up the normal View Route options page, to get at this page once navigating simply tap the sat strength meter, then press "Details" for the same functions - Mike
hachem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Route demo Reply with quote

Thanks. I knew that existed for route planning but that only allows from A to B. What I'd like is to plan a multi stop itinerary (using destinations or waypoints) and then preview that route.

For example:
I fly into Sea-Tac on Monday. I then need to drive to two different clients before heading south to Portland for my final destination of the day.

What route will TomTom give me ?

I can do it using route planning but then I have to create a route for each leg in addition to the itinerary.

Marc
spcdust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

Many thanks for your review, after owning my unit for the last few weeks I have decided to implement the custom menu you so kindly give instructions for. I couldn't really see when I'd use the "Help Me" functions and think that as a function it has far to many shortfalls to be truly useful and reliable (even when the lamentable POI's are updated by Map Share users you couldn't rely on it to give you your closest doctor, police station etc. as it's only as good as the POI's submitted?).

Anyway, one question I have....with your custom menu activated will my Tom Tom still be able to receive Map Share updates when I connect it to Tom Tom Home?

Cheers

spcdust
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure you have the device configured for accepting the POI files and it should continue to work even with the custom menu installed, if you want to change an option later simply remove\rename the tomtom.mnu file to something thing else and the standard menu will be available, swap it back later for the custom one - Mike
SAFC2403
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've installed this and it works ok so thanks for that. However one question. is there a way to change the order of the menu items. I'd really like the clear route option on the first page and the change preferences on the second page if possible.

Ta
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open the tomtom.mnu file using note pad on the PC and simy move around the lines of text to customise your own menu, there are other things you can add in to the menu that are not there as standard on the device, but they do work such as the the document viewer, save the file and you should have your new menu, you can increase it to more pages if you want - Mike
SAFC2403
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Open the tomtom.mnu file using note pad on the PC and simy move around the lines of text to customise your own menu, there are other things you can add in to the menu that are not there as standard on the device, but they do work such as the the document viewer, save the file and you should have your new menu, you can increase it to more pages if you want - Mike

Thanks for that. So I take it the map share and help me aren't organised in the same way then??
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thorough review Mike...while it seems like there are a few small kinks to be worked out, this looks like a quality device overall. I really like that it comes with Mapshare, custom POI's and the Help Me feature. Looking forward to hearing more experiences with this one...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have purchased a "One Third Edition" check the box as that is what it will say at the top, this unit uses internal flash memory and does not have a slot for a memory card.
The same normal advice applies though, connect to the PC and fully back up the units memory to the PC hard drive BEFORE you do anything with it.
Apart from a few missing icons in the slimmed down menu (which can be re-enabled if required) the device is a decent bit of kit and should assist your daughter to find the locations she needs (asuming chemists and local doctors are not needed as the inbuilt POI files are at best described as lacking in detail for the UK) - Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itinerary planning is one missing function that can be made to work on this unit (at the moment) see the first post in this thread for details if you want to enable them.

As for the memory you have a considerable ammount spare so installation of loads of POI files is easy, you can also install overseas maps (country only) - the downside is the full Euro or USA maps are not an option, but this is a UK based device so it will do what your daughter wants from it very well. The chance of filling up the onboard memory using custom voices, POI alerts (spoken style) and POI files is zero IMHO - there is plenty of capacity on the unit as supplied - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Manage POIs" is the other big omission from the menus.
You can still add new POI categories by copying from the PC, but you cannot add or delete them directly on the machine.

Mike is referring to a way of re-creating the old menu layout and getting these functions back. Unfortunately this means losing a couple of the new features (significantly the "Map Share" technique for making minor corrections to the maps).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not too bad, switching between normal and custom menu is very easy, you can enable the MapShare shortcut on the front screen BEFORE loading the custom menu, this will at least allow you to record the positions of problems for later analysis/ submission.
The HelpMe function is worth reading once, the only section that might prove really handy is the medical guide, but as she is a nurse I guess this bit won't be missed!
You can also add in the document reader if you want to, by running a custom menu as the device works with this option as well - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 2 of 18

Jump to: