Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Membership Subscription Options Change
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Membership Subscription Options Change
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Darren for upsetting you but you will note that I am only responding, I am not doing the baiting, after all is this not a forum for opinions, and for skippy,s benefit I have not suggested that i am compiling or starting a database my posting refers to my own submision to the pgpsw database, I would not even contemplate competing or even starting a database .
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the following answers are hypothetical and does not mean we will be adding this subscription option!

GPS_fan wrote:

what if somebody tried downloading the database for a seventh time within a year - would the subscription automatically switch to an annual subscription or would an additional "pay as you go" payment be requested?

it would likely 'expire' after download number 6 just as they currently expire after 12 months

GPS_fan wrote:

how easy would it be to administer a system where some were paying £19 for an annual subscription and others are paying the same amount for a pre-designated number of downloads?

we'd need to add some kind of variable like "subscription type = annual" or "subscription type = number"

then base all other calculations on that

GPS_fan wrote:

how easy would it be to monitor how many downloads somebody has carried out over a potentially lengthy period of time?

if "subscription type = number" then every download lowers the 'downloads remaining value' by 1 - once this reaches 0 your subscription ends - i.e. pretty easy!

GPS_fan wrote:

what if one download is incomplete, for whatever reason (computer crash, internet disconnection etc) and a person therefore has to re-download, would this count as two downloads?

at the moment , yes as the 'marker' is written when the download starts. this would be the main concern that would have to be overcome IF we did add this option.

MaFt
littlesthobo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestions to the “limited download” option.

GPS_fan wrote:
what if somebody tried downloading the database for a seventh time within a year - would the subscription automatically switch to an annual subscription or would an additional "pay as you go" payment be requested?

Surely if the person subscribed to a limited download package they wouldn't end up downloading it more!??! If they did then surely they would understand that the need to buy a new subscription.

GPS_fan wrote:
how easy would it be to monitor how many downloads somebody has carried out over a potentially lengthy period of time?

Surely there would still be a time limit - maybe 18 or 24 months?! I admit still a long time!

GPS_fan wrote:
what if one download is incomplete, for whatever reason (computer crash, internet disconnection etc) and a person therefore has to re-download, would this count as two downloads?

I don't know but maybe it would be possible to track which actual version of the database they have downloaded. Which database date. Therefore if they download the same version twice or more then it still only counts as one download.

PaulB2005 wrote:
Only problem i can see is what if you wish to try out the different database types? That could use up 3 of your annual downloads in one go.

Again same answer – same database date/version so would only count as one download. Obviously if someone kept downloading different types it could be flagged up.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlesthobo wrote:

I don't know but maybe it would be possible to track which actual version of the database they have downloaded. Which database date. Therefore if they download the same version twice or more then it still only counts as one download.

should be do-able like that.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
littlesthobo wrote:

should be do-able like that.
That would also allow them the ability to download different versions (e.g. speed zoned & consolidated) of the same database.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see, even the simplest suggestions are not necessarily simple to code and deploy.

I'm not convinced that even if feasible, it would make sense. It could end up being and administration nightmare Crying or Very sad
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I also ran my own business at a profit without my customers supplying the materails for free, so I am fully aware of business economics.
So can it be assumed that had they supplied the materials for free, you would have done the job for free?

I've got some laminate flooring which is free to anyone wishing to fit for me. Can't wait for them to come round to do the work? For free! Very Happy
evocipher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'd love to carry on using the database maybe another idea would be 6 downloads with no time limit for the price of the yearly fee?

I think that's a good solution for those who update infrequently.

Only problem i can see is what if you wish to try out the different database types? That could use up 3 of your annual downloads in one go.

Those who use the European and UK databases would effectively get only 3 downloads for their money.

Surely though it would be possible to flag downloads made in the same month? ie you can download whatever you want for one month but as soon as you roll over into another and download you use up another of your alloted 6?

Hope that makes some sort of sense.

Also a side note I downloaded the database 'Europe' thinking it would include the UK! Guess I'm thinking too much like a foreigner!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also a side note I downloaded the database 'Europe' thinking it would include the UK! Guess I'm thinking too much like a foreigner!

They are separate because the UK is in MPH and Europe in KPH.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
As you can see, even the simplest suggestions are not necessarily simple to code and deploy.

I'm not convinced that even if feasible, it would make sense. It could end up being and administration nightmare Crying or Very sad

I had a horrible feeling that could be the case, which is why I stuck my oar in.

However, in the ethos of brainstorming, no idea is a bad idea
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocket GPS must have a reasonably precise schedule of releases, eg 1/2 a month, or whatever. Why not put everyone on a 12/24 download limit (or whatever)? Perhaps you could then have a marker for when people download, and clear it whenever you update the database - this would allow for free re-downloads of a current version. Possibly set the limit to 999 for free lifetime membership.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Pocket GPS must have a reasonably precise schedule of releases, eg 1/2 a month, or whatever. Why not put everyone on a 12/24 download limit (or whatever)? Perhaps you could then have a marker for when people download, and clear it whenever you update the database - this would allow for free re-downloads of a current version. Possibly set the limit to 999 for free lifetime membership.

...but then you're saying "lifetime" has a limit, which means that it isn't lifetime and many of the people with lifetime subscriptions have been with PGPSW from the early days - which is what qualified them for free membership.

Also, if you look at the statistics, many of the people who qualify for free lifetime subscriptions each month already have a lifetime subscription - so this may just be an extra complication which has to be administered
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
BigPerk wrote:

...but then you're saying "lifetime" has a limit, which means that it isn't lifetime and many of the people with lifetime subscriptions have been with PGPSW from the early days - which is what qualified them for free membership.

Also, if you look at the statistics, many of the people who qualify for free lifetime subscriptions each month already have a lifetime subscription - so this may just be an extra complication which has to be administered

MaFt explained to someone before on liftime membership that the software only allows for a pre-set limit, timewise in the future, and when that time is reached it has to be reset, so it is no different really to what Bigperk is suggesting, or maybe he is suggestin 999 times per year thus unlimited.

you second point i found confusing, surely this happens now, by that i mean if you already have a free subscription and you submit a new site then the data is entered in the same way as if i'd submitted it, but you already have the free subscription, or have i just confused it even more
Rolling Eyes
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, sorry - retired programmer lapsing into bad habits! I just used 999 as a special value actually [/u]meaning 'no limit' within the program. I should have been a bit less cryptic.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
I would stae that that i niether endorse or condone piracy

I don't think you quite go that far - or doesn't it count as "endorse or condone" when you get your camera database from a pirate source? Seems more like you neither endorse nor condone anti piracy measures - sort of self interest, wouldn't you say? Oppose the anti piracy measures to protect your pirate downloads?
It seems you have never subscribed or downloaded the cameras, so how do we interpret your following statements ...
aj2052 wrote:
i am running ttn6 with both western europe,Gb and Canaries maps in situ along with loads of poi,s,cameras and 700mb left, so still enough room to add Australia map.

aj2052 wrote:
Confirmation, Works very well and compliments use with zoned Camera warnings

aj2052 wrote:
I can confirm that the both the www.predator.org.uk and the Pocketgps world camera voices work on ttn6, my preferences are the predator one because the gps words are too short and you can miss them

I think Censored !!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 21 of 32

Jump to: