Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - renaming waypoints
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

renaming waypoints

View previous topic :: View next topic  
briwy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: renaming waypoints Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to batch rename waypoints?
I want to make all the waypoints for a route have a prefix associated that route. ie Nantlle Ridge would be NR 01 etc.

Also is it possible to set the waypoint visible as a default.

Presently I am goisng into the properties for each waypoint and changing it.
Real time consumer.

Thanks
Brian
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

No, not within MM; I believe it's been on their "wish list" for a long time. Sad

However, you can globally replace route waypoint names by exporting them into a .CSV file (right-click the route : Save as.. : name, & pull-down .CSV). Next, search-and-replace in a text editor (e.g. Notepad) or spreadsheet (e.g. Excel). With a text editor you'll probably need to S&R "WP01" to "NR01". Then reload into MM (Overlay : Import) and delete the original (when you're happy with the new route waypoints).

Do you mean "Waypoint Names visible", as my waypoint (icons) are visible by default? Waypoints within a route are controlled by the Route Properties. Strangely, the Route Properties in the PPC version allow you to (globally) show/hide waypoint names, but not the PC version. But, again you can export the waypoint list into a spreadsheet and block-change the "visible" attributes there (columns 9 and 11). Look for CSV in the help file (?Man).

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
briwy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Alan.
Never thought of doing that so Ill give it a go.

I think MM is superb but just needs some tweaks here and there.
BTW, have you ever tried to post on the support forums.
I have registered twice now but still unable to post, just says I dont have permission.
I have emailed MM about it but no response.

Cheers
Brian
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

Yes, I am quite active on the MM forum, although not with the same username. Your name now apperars on their membership list, so you should be abe to post soon, but their forum does seem excessively moderated.

I don't know how much is dictated by the OS license restrictions, and how much is due to bad system configuration, but it is frustrating to have to wait sometimes many days for a post to pass moderation. I suspect that many answers are never even seen, as they don't send email notifications, and personal email and PM faciliteis are disabled. Oh, and their search engine is awful. Sad

Yes, the MM software is probably easier to use than the competition, and their licensing relatively relaxed, but the software does have some rough edges which have been rather slow to be fixed. I don't know how many developers they have (in the USA) but I suspect it might not be very many.

Cheers, Alan.
briwy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan.
Thanks for the info.
Tried altering the waypoint names as suggested in Excel. Works a treat.
I still cant get on the MM forum despite emailing MM and getting a reply saying they have manually set up an account.
From what you are saying it probably isnt worth the hassle.
Cheers
Brian
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

Yes, "Briwy" seems to have disappeared from MM's (pending) members list, but I think you may be showing up (currently) as their latest new member. Note that you can check the current members list from the "members" link on their forum, but you have to change the default "search all available" pull-down to something sensible !

I've only recently noticed their "Today's top 10 posters" link, which seems to include posts that haven't yet been moderated. But I think it literally means Today, so they will disappear (as did Friday's) long before they pass moderation, on Monday at the earliest.

They really only have one active moderator in the UK who works "normal business hours" (note that their forum clock is usually several hours wrong!) so it certainly isn't a good forum for anyone who wants quick help at a weekend. But nearly all the routine questions do eventually receive an answer. Note that their average member posts less than 2 questions and clearly is unable (understandably) to use their search engine.

Cheers, Alan.
cecilrhode
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm posting long after this was current, but as a new user of MM, the default naming of WP001 WP002 has been a real pain. Soon after I started using MM, out on a walk, I made a mistake with my Garmin GPS and managed to drag a waypoint out of posistion. it screwed up the route, and as I looked at the bookmarks to decide what to delete in order to get sensible directions (imagine a waypoint moving 2 miles out of posistion in a random direction, and the unit insisting yuore going in the wrong direction) I realsied that as I had a couple of routes close by and each with similar waypoints names including names like WP014/3 it was a mess.

After that, I decided that all new routes would have different names relating to the route eg, the waypoints on a walk to Pendle Hill, all start PH. Renaming all the waypoints after creating the route was a pain, time consuming and frustrating. But, it makes sure you don't get confused either when theyre on the GPS or the PC and I advise every new user to categorise their routes like that.

Thanks Alleycat. I'm sure others have seen this advice and benefitted from it.

I am going to give this method of renaming waypoints a go, as it must be so much easier and faster than doing it manually. Shame its another thing to do, but should be a real time saver.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: