Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Skytraq chipset on Bluetooth GPS Receiver ( Holox 441)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Skytraq chipset on Bluetooth GPS Receiver ( Holox 441)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shantilaal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Skytraq chipset on Bluetooth GPS Receiver ( Holox 441) Reply with quote

How reliable is the Skytraq 44 Channel chipset (Holox 441 Model) in comparison to the Surf Star III chipset?

Are more channels better ?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of either the chipset or the manufacturer! It sounds like it's a play on Holux who are a respected manufacturer but they use SiRFIII and MTK.

Do you have any links? I must say it all sounds rather dodgy to me!
shantilaal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Further Skytrak info Reply with quote

This items are being sold on Ebay. Item number: 110155124098

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HOLOX-44-CHANNEL-BLUETOOTH-GPS-RECEIVER-4TOMTOM-SAT-NAV_W0QQitemZ110155124098QQihZ001QQcategoryZ4668QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The spec seems amazing but not sure if this is just a cheap architecture from the far east at a low price, with only 1 year warranty and which also has not been tested in Europe.

Can you advise if should just stick to the Surf Star III chipset for a reliable service in the UK/Europe as the Skytrak does not seem to be known chipset architecture.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well Skytraq is a new chipset although little is known about it and we've not had one that uses it to test.

The one you link to appears to be a re-badge of the Wonde Proud GPS-BT100Y device, see here.

I can't say much more, it's a new but little known chipset that is allesged to be equivalent to the SiRFIII, Hammerhead and MTK alternatives. without testing I wouldn't be able to comment further although at £17 it's got to be worth a chance!
jamesianwatts60
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:09 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I posted this on another thread before I read this thread...

"I have had a Holox BT-441 for about a month now.
Its performance is pretty awesome in terms of first fix, reaquisition and finding fixes inside heavily shielded buildings.
My GPS info regularly reports 9+ sats!
I have however had a few problems with charging it but I suspect that is due to my attempting to use the chargers supplied with my Holux GPSlim 236 which also has a mini usb port.
My in-car charger blew completely!
Anyone any clues on this?
Anyway, as it takes the standard nokia 3.7v battery (like the 236), and lasts for about 10 hrs on a charge that hasn't been a problem.
I am very pleased with mine at the price I paid (about £33 inc p&p ex ebay)"

It outperforms the sirf111 in my Holux236 very considerably in most(all?) aspects
shantilaal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Bluetooth Error - The Device did not respond Reply with quote

I am attempting to connect my Holox - BT 441 bluetooth GPS Sat Receiver with my PDA.
After following instruction to bond device using the standard Pin 0000 Device is Bonded - ok. At the next stage when I go to Actions --- Connect to SPP Slave

Bluetooth Error : The Device did not respond to the connection attempt !

PDA Model : Compaq ipaq H3900
Microsoft Pocket PC Version 3.0.11171 (Build 11178)
CPU : Intel PXA250
Bluetooth :
Radio revision - 1.0
Module Type : BC-01

Do I need to upgrade the Windows Pocket PC OS or Bluetooth version ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: