Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Motorcyclists 'Escape'
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Motorcyclists 'Escape'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
I was merely quoting from available road tests, conducted on private closed circuits, of course. Rolling Eyes Cor, whatever next?

In my area, the problem is teenageers on scooters, not 'real bikers'

...a lack of respect for either Highway Code or other road users is the problem, not just speed because even flat out most of these machines would struggle to reach 30mph

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against bikes - I'm just not a biker myself (but have been a regular pillion)

Like so many other things in life, it's the few bad bikers who spoil it for the rest
BMW330
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
GPS_fan wrote:
Quote:
This thread seems to have got more deep and meaningful than I'd expected.

OK, if you don't want me to side track and be "deep and meaningful", lets keep light hearted and give your opinion of a motorcyclist with NO REAR NUMBER PLATE.

Obviously front number plates are not the only issue, it was worth this rider removing the rear plates for some fun!

Well, you're going to laugh at this - it's becoming extremely common in South Africa to see vehicles, especially fast ones, without plates. Why? Firstly, not enough police on the roads to do "proper" enforcement (i.e. ensure vehicles have plates on) and secondly, the fines for not having plates are minimal, while speeding fines are quite high. Oh, and no penalty points system to nail re-offenders.
FazerUK
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Like so many other things in life, it's the few bad bikers who spoil it for the rest

So how come these bad drivers don't spoil it for every car driver, like I keep hearing "it's the few bad bikers who spoil it for the rest"
Western_Europe-Map v650.1127
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
GPS_fan wrote:
..but there's no reason why a front number plate can't be placed across the front of a bike

OK, and where would you put it? Last time I checked, the front of my bike was round and pointy. It doesn't have a big flat surface that you can stick a plate on like a car.

Quite aside from that, a front number plate would look ugly and very few other countries see the need to have them so I don't see why UK bikers should.

It doesn't have to be a metal plate 8O

It could be a nice sticky one that hugs your bikes sexy curves Rolling Eyes

Do you have to check often what shape your bike is Question Laughing Laughing

To old to die young.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FazerUK wrote:
GPS_fan wrote:

So how come these bad drivers don't spoil it for every car driver, like I keep hearing "it's the few bad bikers who spoil it for the rest"

The same reason that suicide bombers give muslims in our communities a bad name. They are identified by what they look like, not what they ARE like.

The vast majority of road users drive cars. Think of this as the white citizens of the UK. Lorry drivers, white van men, bikers, taxi drivers, etc etc, are the various ethnic groups. They differ from the norm, therefore, what one does reflects on the group as a whole.

It's all down to a perception and not factual in any way, but you can see how members of ethnic groups feel can't you ?

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
white van men

There yer go again - getting at me!!

Many years ago, as a young innocent, I bought a second hand 350cc bike and put L plates on it (you could do that then). Frightened to death of it, I never took it over about 35mph, until one day I thought I'd give it a go. Long empty straight slight downhill - so I crouched over the tank and twisted the throttle all the way, only to find that it turned a mere fraction of an inch and with the downhill and crouch, I managed close to 40 before the air leaked out of the front forks and I had to find a garage with a free air pump. It did have one of those deadly front number plates. Bought it off a bloke with a Vincent 1000 and when I sold it, it was still on HP.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FazerUK wrote:
GPS_fan wrote:

Bad driving has been mentioned elsewhere...

...but since this particular thread is about bikes, it's bad bikers who are mentioned.

999tommo wrote:
The same reason that suicide bombers give muslims in our communities a bad name. They are identified by what they look like, not what they ARE like.

The vast majority of road users drive cars. Think of this as the white citizens of the UK. Lorry drivers, white van men, bikers, taxi drivers, etc etc, are the various ethnic groups. They differ from the norm, therefore, what one does reflects on the group as a whole.

It's all down to a perception and not factual in any way, but you can see how members of ethnic groups feel can't you ?

This is a very good analogy.

I have a 60 mile drive each way to work and I see more than my fair share of appalling driving - overtaking on blind bends, overtaking in the face of oncoming traffic, crossing double white lines etc - but this this was started because most new cameras seem to be (at least the ones I see) front facing, hence there is greater chance of a speeding biker not being caught.

I also see a substantial amount of driving which appears to be under the influence of something, the question here is should A N Other driver dial 999 and report such driving to the police, since even speed cameras won't detect it, or do you just ignore it and hope that you're not involved in any accident that may occur - perhaps Tommo999 could shed some light on this.

Good bikers are amongst the best road users because they have to think ahead a little more than the average motorist
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
I also see a substantial amount of driving which appears to be under the influence of something, the question here is should A N Other driver dial 999 and report such driving to the police, since even speed cameras won't detect it, or do you just ignore it and hope that you're not involved in any accident that may occur - perhaps Tommo999 could shed some light on this.

Sorry for the delay, just back from France (where it was sunny incidentally).

The simple answer to your query is...... if you are genuinely concerned about someone being drunk or drugged behind the wheel, then you should report it. They might not be under the influence of anything, but if you didn't do your bit and report it and later found out they had caused someone's death, then you would be forever thinking 'what if'....

You can't lose anything by reporting it can you ?

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: