Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 25k Memory Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

25k Memory Maps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt_e
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: 25k Memory Maps Reply with quote

Anyone tried the OS25 maps yet?

Can't decide whether to buy or not.

Matt
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: OS25 Maps Reply with quote

If you use the 50K maps, go to the maximum zoom and look at the image. It will be slightly blurred but that will be the scale you get on the OS25 maps without blurring and you get one more zoom with blurred on the OS25. The OS25 maps have slightly more detail. The OS25 maps at the moment only cover limited areas as does the aerial photography included.

For myself I took the option of buying the regional 50K maps then the aerial maps. That way you get the whole region aerial map and the 50K maps are good enough for most other purposes.

Download the sample maps of Port Talbot from their site if you want to compare the various formats.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

It really depends what you want to use them for.

The question you need to ask yourself is:

What scale paper map do I need to do this with?

If the answer is 1:25k than that is the one to go for. There is far more detail in the 25k maps, but they are not really suitable for driving. They are however excellent for walking and cycling.

Whatever you do do not use these as a replacement for paper maps. ALWAYS carry a backup!!
matt_e
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm going to be moving to an area of coutryside and I fancied having a map with more detail to get to know the countryside better. Would be using it for walking and maybe recording wildlife and other things of interest.

Unfortunately the area I am thinking of is just outside one of the 25K MM areas so I would probably be going for the MM selections whenever they become available (soon I hope).

I rather like the higher level of detail on the 25K maps but my mate who is ex army with considerable nav experience says they always use 50K OS maps!!

Cheers,

matt
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching Mike's demo on Sunday (I was the one with the Toshiba laptop you set up) I spoke to MM today to clarify what I was going to buy.

They said that there was going to be 1:25k maps of the whole country available very soon, but couldn't/wouldn't give any more details.

1. Has anyone any knowledge as to how these will relate to the existing 1:25k maps in terms of coverage and boundaries?

2. Is there any info as to how MM will market them e.g. with aerial photos?

I had originally decided to to get Southern UK at 1:50k and the New Forest at 1:25k, but I'd like to know if I'd be better off waiting.

Malcolm
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After seeing Mike's demo of MM2004 OS I decided to download the trial software and maps and have a look at it. The sample 25K map is certainly very impressive. So I decided to upgrade. But as I have 9 map discs for MMN2003 I emailed MM to find out if I could still use 2003 if I upgraded to 2004.

Although I did not receive a direct answer to my question I was told that I could upgrade to 50K maps of the whole UK for £149.95 (+£4.95 PP). As later I would like to purchase specific 25K maps I decided to go for it. This offer does not appear on their website so you have to place the order by phone. By the way, I was told that the upgrade offer ends this month, March (but who knows it could be extended as DFS does for furniture Rolling Eyes ).

Richard
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An there's another DFS extended offer for the Easer weekend Laughing I just received a 10x£25 vouchers, not going to have much chance to use them though.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have already invested in MM2003 maping and want the 1:25k maps from MM2004 but dont want to upgrade your 1:50k maps then you can run both applications on the same PC or PDA.

Simply install the new MM2004 on the computer and you will then have both available. It can get a bit tricky as you can only use the 2003 maps with the 2003 app and the 2004 maps with the 2004 apps. I often trip up trying to open 2004 in 2003 and vice versa.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: