Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Navigator 3 with Live Traffic Monitor Announced
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Navigator 3 with Live Traffic Monitor Announced

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clem
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: TomTom Navigator 3 with Live Traffic Monitor Announced Reply with quote

Woohoo! It's on the TomTom web-site and is gonna support live traffic updates - worth the upgrade alone ?!!
thedon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the live traffic updates are supplied by GPRS (therefore bluetooth for most people, unless you want another cable from your PDA accross the dash).

I'm pretty sure my phone (SE T610) will only allow one bluetooth connection at a time - so I'd have to give up my new bluetooth car kit, to have the Traffic service Crying or Very sad - or have I misunderstood?. Question
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are supplied via GPRS.
ianbar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will a Pocket PC satisfactorily support simultaneous Bluetooth connections to a phone (for GPRS updates) and a BT GPS?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it will Thumbs Up
ianbar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
Thanks.
So those of us with a BT phone and car kit will only need another phone to support the Tomtom traffic service. Hmmm!
DrVenkman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: ianbar / Dave Reply with quote

It's my understanding that the Ipaq's can handle up to 7 concurrent bluetooth connections. Not sure if that is the same across the board though. My recently purchased BT dongle for my PC also allows 7 connections which leads me to believe that that is pretty standard, but don't quote me on the latter Happy

Cheers
Dr V Thumbs Up
ianbar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. I suppose the optimum solution would be for the PPC to emulate the BT car kit and enable a GPRS connection when required. Technically feasible?
DrVenkman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say car kit, do you mean hands free car kit ? If so, my iPaq doesn't have BT profile to allow it to act has the mouth and ears of my mobile, so if you are thinking of having your PPC act as a hands free kit for your phone while BT'ing the GPRS for receiving TTN Traffic, then I dont think that will work.

It does depend on the software in the PPC device though. For example, my PC can act as a hands free kit, but my iPaq is only able to use a hands free kit, hence my PC can receive the sounds of my iPaq but not the other way around.

Have I missed the point ? Have I gone on about nothing ? Probably Embarassed

Cheers
Dr V Thumbs Up
ianbar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fear I may have started a hare running. Yes, I was thinking of a BT hands free car kit. The difficulty, as I understand it, is that when a BT phone is paired with a BT car kit it is "locked" and not available for GPRS. I was simply wondering whether a device with a bit more intelligence than a Nokia car kit (i.e. a Pocket PC) might be able to function as a car kit but switch the BT connection periodically to allow GPRS traffic updates. I appreciate there are probably no current applications that will do this and was simply wondering whether such a solution would be feasible. At the moment BT hands free and traffic messaging are incompatible, unless one has two phones (or so I think). It may of course be that the limitation arises from the way the phone is configured, but again this might in principle be capable of change.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: