Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ITIS Traffic Information
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIS Traffic Information
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinymera wrote:
I'd like to know what ITIS coverage is in Scotland?

I've just had a look on the iTIS web site and couldn't find any obvious mention of network coverage.

Could iTIS provide a map to show their network coverage across the whole UK?

On the other hand, TrafficMaster have a map - but for Scotland, except for the A9, there's no coverage north of the line from Glasgow to Edinburgh (http://www.trafficmaster.co.uk/images/networkmaps/ukmap.gif)
Shinymera
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iTIS website has this map;

http://www.itisholdings.com/itmc2.asp#

Which leads me to ask the question 'How can they miss a 4 mile tail back that lasts for two days every week?'
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be grateful if Jonathan or Danny could confirm what that map shows. As best I know, it shows the Classic FM coverage across the country - ie it shows where you can get the TMC signal.

What would be interesting it to also know whether iTIS have a map of which roads are and aren't covered by their network (I know their network does not work like Trafficmaster, but given the way the TMC location data table works, iTIS must have a map showing which roads it's possible for them to report on...) Of course, clarification as to whether the coverage map road network is the roads they can report on would be good...
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinymera wrote:
iTIS website has this map;

http://www.itisholdings.com/itmc2.asp#

Which leads me to ask the question 'How can they miss a 4 mile tail back that lasts for two days every week?'

Whereabouts in Scotland were you caught out?

In my experience, these long-term delays are reported - this is going to have to be one for the iTIS guys.

By the way, thanks for the link, but a better one is:

http://www.itisholdings.com/site_images/rdspic.gif

...this coverage still appears to be greater than Trafficmaster (http://www.trafficmaster.co.uk/page.cfm?key=network-mapnew) and if you're using a Trafficmaster Freeway as well (like I do), you should have the best of both worlds.

The problem is that we're no longer satisfied with our GPS simply guiding us to our destination and the more these units do, the more we expect - almost to the extent of anticipating the TMC to warn you about the tractor in front
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
...this coverage still appears to be greater than Trafficmaster
Be careful here - the Trafficmaster map shows the roads covered by the TM sensor network, the iTIS map only says it shows where you should be able to receive Classic FM (and hence their TMC service) - there is no confirmation from iTIS that the roads shown on their map are included within the service. This difference makes it difficult to compare the two services from these two maps.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
GPS_fan wrote:
...this coverage still appears to be greater than Trafficmaster

Be careful here - the Trafficmaster map shows the roads covered by the TM sensor network, the iTIS map only says it shows where you should be able to receive Classic FM.

Oh yes, but don't forget that the Trafficmaster network sensors only covers those roads AND you still need to rely on the ability to receive TMC from an FM radio station.

Hence, Trafficmaster is restricted by sensor coverage AND TMC reception. iTIS has a wider network coverage because of the type of sensor used and it's not limited to just motorways and a few main roads.

RDS/FM TMC provided by iTIS on the GPS and a Trafficmaster Freeway in the car - the best of both worlds (and radio traffic bulletins as a backup)

Last edited by GPS_fan on Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Shinymera
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Whereabouts in Scotland were you caught out?

It was at the Forth Road Bridge. This bridge links fife and the north with Edinburgh and the Central belt. As such it is always busy and any disruption causes major problems.

The resurfacing work starts at 7pm Fridays and ends 6am Mondays. The congestion and delays this causes are horrendous.

I haven't been caught out because the road works together with the forecast delay have been well reported in the weeks leading up to to the work. It was even reported on the BBC News website. However I have twice needed to go that way and have witnessed the chaos for myself. All the while my TomTom Traffic was reporting no problems.

On the second occasion when stuck, I instructed TomTom to avoid the the next mile. It did this and re-routed me via the Kincardine bridge and again it said I had a clear run. When I got there it was clear that a lot of other people had the same Idea and this route was also grinding to a halt. Again TomTom traffic was reporting no problems.
As a test I would plan a route across the bridge every weekend - not once did it report a problem.

I've since sold my TomTom and got a Viamichelin X-970T. This has TMC again provided by iTIS. In the short while I had this unit the info appears better - and I'm not paying an extra £9 a month on my mobile bill.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I carry a Trafficmaster Freeway in the car and listen to radio traffic bulletins as well as using the TMC facility on my GPS.

Belt and braces approach - but it's still not foolproof
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
iTIS has a wider network coverage because of the type of sensor used and it's not limited to just motorways and a few main roads.
..but does it have a wider network coverage...? Although iTIS can cover a wider road network based on their fleets of vehicles, the TMC data already on the SatNav device will have a specific set of locations (the location data table). What we don't know is which provider has the greatest number of roads / locations within their database...
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I am missing something here but for the ITIS system to work I think there needs to be a vehicle with the ITIS transmitter in it to send a signal to the network saying that the vehicle is being delayed i.e. if there are no vehicles in the jam with ITIS transmitters then there is no way that the system knows there is a hold up.
At least with the Trafficmaster system, restricted as it may be to major roads, the cameras are always there i.e. they should never fail to see a queue (except perhaps in fog :D .

Earlier this week I was delayed Eastbound on the M4 between J10 and J7 due an accident. The Freeway knew all about it and at least I knew how long the delay was, but the Mio SatNav seemed to be totally unaware of this reporting on roadworks etc at Reading through which I had sailed at a steady 50 mph. I find it hard to believe that there would have been no ITIS transmitting vehicles in this jam
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly, neither service provider has a perfect system.

At least iTIS are participating in this forum and trying to answer members' questions. However, despite expressing an interest in the forum (in a personal e-mail), Trafficmaster have neglected to put in an appearance.

Having used a Trafficmaster Freeway since they were first introduced, my allegiance had been with Trafficmaster because they are 'the devil I know'. However, iTIS are the ones showing an interest in their end-users.

With the limited amount of information available, I have simply expressed an opinion and I'm now going to leave it for representatives of the respective companies to provide the facts.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perussell,

One more thought - are you sure that you had TMC reception?

The Trafficmaster Freeway picks up its signal from roadside transmitters, so there should be no problem at all.

However, TMC (both iTIS and Trafficmaster) are reliant upon reception of certain FM RDS signals - with iTIS this is transmitted with Classic FM (with a few more stations coming on board later in the year according to previous posts by iTIS) and with Trafficmaster this is transmitted using a number of radio stations.

Obviously, if you're in an area where you can't receive the required TMC signal, then TMC on your Mio will neither be able to warn you of a problem nor re-route you around it.

It may be worth you driving with the "TMC Control Centre" screen showing so that this will at least show whether "TMC present" or "No TMC" is displayed on this screen. This way, it might give you a better idea of whether your problem is poor reception or your Mio no processing the data correctly.

Also, have you set your C520t to "Use traffic information" and 'Re-calculate route to avoid traffic' to "Automatic"?

See page 59 of the online user manual:
http://www.mio-tech.be/Manuals/C520/MioMapV3-Manual/UserManual_for_MioMap_v3.3_C520_EN.pdf
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I haven't driven with the TMC centre 'open' so I can't say for sure when I have and have not been receiving signals. However if I touch the trainglar icon in the bottom right screen I am seeing a list of traffic issues though these are almost exclusively roadworks etc. I haven't seen any notifications of traffic jams as such, only road works.

If I sit on my driveway (about 4 miles from M4) and open the TMC screen I can see various wavelengths selected and the phrase 'testing' appears along with a signal sensor showing something so I assume I am receiving a signal of sorts.

I seemed to receive TMC on my Nuvi with no problems driving the same routes

yes, Mio is set to receive TMC but I have set it for a 'manual replan' so I would expect the unit to reroute but only after asking me first
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perussell wrote:
I seemed to receive TMC on my Nuvi with no problems driving the same routes
Do remember the Nuvi uses Trafficmaster, and the Mio uses iTIS, so one receiving traffic does not mean the other can at the same location, as each is using a different set of radio transmitters.
kentnicklloyd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: ITIS Traffic Information Reply with quote

jonathanb wrote:
ITIS is the UK market leader in the broadcast of RDS-TMC and is committed to achieving the highest quality for users of its traffic information. We invite members of this forum to ask us questions about the ITIS service and we will do our best to answer as many of them as possible.

Hi John, nice to see someone from the "horses mouth" so to speak. A few areas I'm finding "Patchy" at the moment are J3 round to J10 M25, M3 (M25 to A303), but this has been reported by more than 1 other poster here, A303 basically the whole length the link road through to the M5 and the M5 through to A361 and most of the North Devon area!

Sorry but from a great coverage in SE London and North Kent I really noticed the difference driving back to Devon, I put this lack of coverage down to this being a "new" service but now I'm wondering ........

By the way I'm using a Mio C510E and TMC (OOOO and I did only once pick up a station transmitting from wales on 106.6, it was only once but the data appeared better then the Classic FM data)

Just an idea is there anyway you can get the data not just from the local region but also from the adjacent regions also, I did notice it appears that you are using regional data, perhaps the whole counrty as one broadcast or would that overload the systems?

Nick (sorry it's a bit of a long post)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 3 of 16

Jump to: