Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ViaMitchelin x980T
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ViaMitchelin x980T
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> SatNav User Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: 980T Reply with quote

I will try but where do you plug it in?
radavis
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below is the answer to my question regarding the release of V6.5, I thik it means next month.

"Thank you for your interest in ViaMichelin products and activities.

Furtehr to your email we can let you know that actually the version 6 of the software is included with the X980T.
We can advice that next month on the viamichelin website the version 6.5 will be available we don't have further information for the moment.

In addition and if this has not already been done, we suggest that you register your product so as to be informed automatically of the publication of the 6.5 version for your ViaMichelin PND and to avail yourself of special offers reserved for registered users at ViaMichelin's On-line Shop:

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/viamichelin/gbr/dyn/controller/NavAccountMyProducts

We hope that we have answered your request, and are at your disposal should you have any other suggestions or questions."

HELP !!!!Still cant make my mind up, the Tomtom 910 looks very tempting.

Raymond
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All depends on how tempted you are by the £7 map update offer Laughing
Hard to say what else will be added by the 6.5 update other than the more advanced route planning on the website.
If it's any help I like the fact that with the 980T you can plan a route and look at the route to and from anywhere. It doesn't assume that you would be leaving from the GPS position nor do you need a GPS lock to see the route.
i.e. Your going to York for a weekend, but you wanted to know how long it would take from York to Whitby without actually being in York.
Also the POI are very extensive (and not just the Michelin ones). Have never seen local take away's / butchers and bakers marked on before.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
All depends on how tempted you are by the £7 map update offer Laughing

You'd have to say, a £7 upgrade fee for maps, does sound encouraging.

jonandmarkuk wrote:
If it's any help I like the fact that with the 980T you can plan a route and look at the route to and from anywhere. It doesn't assume that you would be leaving from the GPS position nor do you need a GPS lock to see the route.

That's one feature I've always found useful on my lowly Garmin i3 - the ability to be able to set your current position with the GPS turned off, so that you can simulate / calculate routes from other starting positions.

Haven't always found that (and that might be merely I've not found it!) on other sat navs I've got / used.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: 980T Reply with quote

michaelj2 wrote:

Could be wrong as I'm not at home at the moment, but I'm certain the connection is at the back. You could always e-mail them and ask.
EasyD2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 980T Reply with quote

michaelj2 wrote:

hey, you'll need a MMCX external antenna which plugs into the back of the device,

hope this helps

Tel: 0871 7000 156
Globalsat UK Distributor
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 980T Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:

Could be wrong as I'm not at home at the moment, but I'm certain the connection is at the back. You could always e-mail them and ask.

yes you are right it is at the back of the unit - thank you[/quote]

EasyD2 wrote:

hey, you'll need a MMCX external antenna which plugs into the back of the device, hope this helps

Thank you - I assume that even though the 980T is not listed as one of the compatible units, it will fit into the socket?
EasyD2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 980T Reply with quote

Quote:
Thank you - I assume that even though the 980T is not listed as one of the compatible units, it will fit into the socket?

hi, yeah it will fit into the socket, this is a common connection and is used in a LOT of different devices.

Globalsat UK Distributor
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radavis wrote:

I dont know if you are aware but there is a new antenna being supplied with the 980T to improve TMC reception, I saw it on Saturday at the expo.

Raymond

Seems to be some difference of opinion to this one, as this is the e-mail I got from the online store.

Thank you for your interest in ViaMichelin products and activities.

Further to your email, we regret to inform you that the new design of the TMC aerial is not compatible with the X-980T due to a different connection.

Not sure how as the mounts look the same and the x980t mount clearly has an unused aerial connection as part of the mount?
Maybe they are waiting on a software update, or the new design is and never will be usable on the x980T..... seems a bit silly to me to leave the 'flagship' top of the range model with the standard piece of wire connection.
radavis
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to the reps at the Expo last weekend and I also saw the new TMC antenna setup in a car they had there, all I can is that I was told the new antenna would work with the 980t. It does seem rather stupid to produce a better product and then their top of the range model cant work with it.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess we will just have to wait and see, maybe its a difference of opinion between the sales department and the techies.
There is a hidden connection on the base which on the Internet FAQ's says its an FM aerial connection 'for future use' and as the new design seems to fit on the base you would think it would work.

I hope that the version 7 software 'will' be compatible with the x980T or they are only killing off their own top of the line model as who would by something which is more expensive and has a lower software version.... after all most people would buy on the basis of the software version number and assume a higher software version 'must be better'
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case anyone is trying to work out why the new 'My Viamitchlin' section won't work.

In reply to your message we let you know that for the X980T for the moment, you unfortunately are not able to use the download option from "My ViaMichelin" on the website. This is only available for version 6.5.

However during the month of May, there will be a free update available for the X980T that will update to version 6.5.

For the moment you will be able to download addresses from the website going to "Maps".
Then enter an address and click "Search"
On the next page there shows a white area over the map.
Please click here on "to GPS" and follow the instructions.

This will be working for the X980T.

To be honest I already knew that but forgot that the redesign would only work with the new software, you must be able to actually plan the route ans transfer it over to the device as it is on the PC (one reason why they would be interested in keeping the maps up to date)
EasyD2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
However during the month of May, there will be a free update available for the X980T that will update to version 6.5.

The upgrade to V6.5.3 for the ViaMichelin X-980T is now available. See the ViaMichelin website for details.

Globalsat UK Distributor
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just installed the update and the new features are really nice.
Word of warning though, because the POI are restructured into 'My Viamichelin' all custom ones will be removed and need to be re-added.

A few other cosmetic changes have been made, but being able to plan a route on the website and transfer it to the GPS is very good.

Suspect the guide updates will be available soon Smile
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update on the new software version.
Having used it for a few days, the new features are really handy it's now possible to plan a route on the GPS or the website including stages and then save the route for future use.
I have just created some routes for my other half to use next monday saving 3 different possible routes.

A few cosmetic changes have been made including it now seems able to pronouce some street names which previously it failed on, the keyboard entry now had 3 different modes but I have just stuck with the QWERTY layout, numbers are also on the same screen so no more switching between the screens for postcode entry.

Considering this is really only an interim release it's made some real improvments and more to come when version 7 is released towards the end of the year adding yet more functions.

The x980T now has the same software as shipping with the newer models, no information on if the newer design TMC aerial will work on the x980T as it's still not listed on the website.

I can't tell you how much I love being able to plan and store routes and call them up at the touch of a button.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> SatNav User Reviews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: