Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Maps for Memory Map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Maps for Memory Map

View previous topic :: View next topic  
farwellbooth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Maps for Memory Map Reply with quote

I'm in the US and interested in storing a few areas of 1 state on my PPC. I'm wondering how you select which areas to sync w/ your PPC? Do you have to know all the topo names, the lat. long. or can you just highlight which area on your home PC? I'd like to draw some routes and then just sync the route and a few neighboring miles... Also how much memory do topo maps require? thanks
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the areas that you want maps for they can be bought quite easily from Maptech. You can buy entire states, or you can buy special areas such as the national parks.

The size of the maps really depends on what you want to do. If you just want a small area for hiking then you can just send a section to the PDa which can be of any size up to about 7Mb.

You can also send the entire USGS map to the PDA which are typically between 4 and 8 Mb in size. If you want to use an ares where 2 maps overlap then these can be merged to form a seamless map coving yuo target area.

You can do your planning for route and waypoints on the PC and then transfer them over to the PDA.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Very flexible Reply with quote

It is actually possible to scan in any map or aerial photograph and calibrate it. The map has to be scanned and saved as PNG format. You have to have a least 3 grid references and mark these on the map. With the UK version of the program you have to make a text file saying at pixel x,y the co-ordinates are zN yE for each of the known points. Then memory map turns this text file and the PNG image into a memory map QCT file. You also need to set boundaries.

In the US version you can calibrate on screen using markers instead of the text file. Fortunately the US version will work with UK serial/authorisation codes and vice-versa. The only real difference between the two is the checking for OS or A-Z copyrights and on a self scanned map these do not exist.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rereading your original post I think I misinterpreted your request.

If you want to transfer only a section of the map then what youneed to do is zoom the Memory-map window untill the portion of the map that you want to export is visible then use the PDA->Send Visible map portion to pda menu option. This will create an export file and synch with your PDA.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: