Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Co-Pilot / Scala Rider Help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Co-Pilot / Scala Rider Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
welshbiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Co-Pilot / Scala Rider Help Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've had a good look through this forum, and can't see this question answered anywhere else, but apologies if it has been asked and answered before.

I'm a newbie to this forum, and also to GPS. I recently bought an O2 XDA Orbit with the Co-Pilot Sat Nav system built in, which i'm very happy with when using it in the car. However, i also spend a lot of time on a bike (a 1998 BRG Triumpy Trophy 1200, for those of you interested!!) and would like to use it with the bike. To this end, i purchased a Scala Rider bluetooth headset, paired it with the phone, and installed it in my helmet. For making and receiving calls, it works like a dream. However, i am at my wit's end trying to get it to give me directions via the headset!! It just wont seem to open the bluetooth connection to relay directions, but only for phone calls.

Has anyone else had this problem, and found a solution, or does anyone know if the Scala Rider headset is simply incompatible with the XDA Orbit / Co-Pilot Live 6 system?

Any help / advice anyone can offer would be very gratefully received!!

Thanks in advance, all the best,

Welsh Biker
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not 100% sure this will work with the Orbit but is fine on the HTC P3300 and T-Mobile C-III, you need to find btaudio.cab and install that, a download is available from This Page, it does allow TT instructions to be routed to normal BT devices so its worth a try with the Scala and Orbit - Mike
welshbiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, many many thanks indeed for that suggestion. At the risk of sounding like a numpty, whereabouts do i need to install btaudio.cab, and do i need to unpack it first, or just install it as-is to a specific folder?

Sorry if i'm being a bit thick, but GPS and Bluetooth is all a bit new to me - i'm a biker still stuck in the days of having a map in a freezer bag strapped to my leg!!

Thanks again Mike Smile

Welsh Biker
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, everyone starts out with these new devices at some point in their life and I appreciate it can appear a little daunting at first. Try the following instructions :

1/ Download the file from the page I linked to earlier.
2/ Connect the Orbit to the PC via Active Sync
3/ Copy the file AS IT IS direct to the storage card in the Orbit.
It is a CAB file these are self extracting installation files for your PPC, you don't have to do anything with them as such.
4/ Disconnect the Orbit from the PC
5/ On the Orbit use File Explorer to locate the file btadio.cab (which you placed in the storage card earlier)
6/ Tap the screen on the file and answer yes to any prompts about installing.
7/ That’s it installed, make sure your BT Audio device i.e. helmet is paired and switched on, then go to start/ Programs/ BT Audio and start the application by simply tapping the ON button.

Mike
welshbiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Absolutely brilliant!! It's installed, and all working a treat, i can't thank you enough. The beers are on me should you ever end up in Cardiff Smile

Welsh Biker
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welshbiker wrote:
The beers are on me should you ever end up in Cardiff
A dangerous statement to make Guinness But glad to hear its got you sorted out, now you need to look at a proper waterproof holder for the Orbit - a plastic bag is OK but not too secure.

Have you considered an Otter Box they do a RAM mount for attachment to the handlebars etc - my Artemis devices (Your Orbit is an Artemis derivative) fit the 1900 style case very well - Mike
welshbiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
welshbiker wrote:
The beers are on me should you ever end up in Cardiff
A dangerous statement to make Guinness But glad to hear its got you sorted out, now you need to look at a proper waterproof holder for the Orbit - a plastic bag is OK but not too secure.

Have you considered an Otter Box they do a RAM mount for attachment to the handlebars etc - my Artemis devices (Your Orbit is an Artemis derivative) fit the 1900 style case very well - Mike

I'll put up a good fight in matching you pint for pint Mike ;)

I hadn't considered an Otterbox until you mentioned it, but i have just ordered a black 1900 style case - almost as much for shipping as the cost of the box itself, lolol!! Smile

All i've got to do now is wire in a 12v socket to power the device while i'm on the move, but South Wales is chucking it's best weather at us today, so maybe i'll do that tomorrow ;)

Thanks again Mike,

Welsh Biker
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shipping costs are significant, but the hardware is cheaper from the USA than you can get it in this country (exchange rate helps quite a bit at the moment).
Memory Map sell the cases in the UK but they are dearer than the purchase cost in the USA, shipping costs are cheaper but overall the best option for all the accessories etc is direct from the manufacturer.

When you wire up the bike please make sure you take the positive wire from a fused outlet, otherwise any resultant electrical fire could wreck the bike and injure the rider.
Once you have it all set up why not post up a couple of pictures, bike installations are not something we see too many of to be honest - Mike
welshbiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Mike,

If i get chance (and the weather is good!!) i'll install the 12v socket (cigarette lighter type) tomorrow, and then on Tuesday i'm heading up to Bolton which will be the first time i've used it on the bike, and the XDA will sit in the map pocket on top of the tank bag. I'll gladly take a couple of photos of that interim set up for you, and then as soon as the Otterbox arrives i'll take a couple more to show you the permanent arrnagements. My only concern is where exactly the Otterbox might go, as the screen on the Trophy 1200 is quite low with not much room under it, and the fairing each side of the bars is quite high, so mounting it there may not be an issue either. I'll come up with some cunning plan or another though!!

Re: the fuse being on the pisitive, i asked that question here the other day and was given that sound advice, but thanks for reminding me anyway, else i may have fried myself at 90 on the M6 on Tuesday ;)

Thanks again Mike,

Welsh Biker

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: