Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Paid by PayPal, confirmed. Where's my data ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Paid by PayPal, confirmed. Where's my data ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Membership Sign-Up Problems?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnyb0y
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Paid by PayPal, confirmed. Where's my data ? Reply with quote

I have just joined.

Registered as johnnyb0y. Subscribed (separate process for some inexplicable reason) and paid £19 via my PayPal account. Received confirmation from PayPal.

Log in to download my data and it tells me I haven't subscribed. Go round and round in circles for ages. One of the daftest website sign-up/login/subscribe processes ever encountered in an online world I've been lucky to have been part of for 13 years. Inane logic in operation here.

You website should be easily able to clearly state EXACTLY what is happening. Goodness only know what poor old Joe Public has to go through. The thought of punishing my parents by asking them to go off and try to get the Speed Camera database from PocketGPSWorld has sprung to mind.

I am really at a loss to understand why you try to make it so difficult for your paying subscribers. I truly do not understand the thought process involved. My advice ? Streamline the whole process and redesign completely your joining/subscription process. Ask for more money to cover your costs and I could almost guarantee people beating down your door.

Regards, although deeply frustrated

J W Goodwin

I'm now off to get hammered by all the speed cameras on the A303 I know nothing about due to this inexorable delay
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see where this is going. A quick search would probably show the answer to be eCheques causing the delay - which is out of PGPSWs hands.

Then again someone as rude as this probably just opens their mouth without checking the facts.

The majority of people here are able to navigate the website just fine. Just because you can't doesn't mean the problem lies with the website.....

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Fri May 04, 2007 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help - Registration - Over on the left.

Quote:
Q. I've paid using PayPal. Why am I not a Member yet?

A. When you make a payment through PayPal that is funded by Instant Bank Transfer (the vast majority of transactions) we receive your payment and you become a Member immediately.

If you are an existing PayPal customer and do not elect to pay by credit card you therefore elect to pay by a transfer from an existing PayPal account - this transfer takes the form of a virtual cheque, called an eCheque.

All those that are able to use a credit card get instant access.

The rule of thumb is, if you have used PayPal and haven't paid by credit card then you have paid by eCheque.

If you used eCheque we would not have received your payment immediately. Funds will only be received once cleared through the banking system. As soon as payment clears (usually up to 8 working days, but sometimes longer - we have had reports of up to 14 days clearance) you will receive your membership details automatically.

We do mention it on the payment page, but in amongst all the other information, understandably, it can be missed.

Your 1st email subject line from PayPal will read 'Receipt for Your Payment to PocketGPSWorld.com Ltd' whereas the 2nd email will read 'eCheque Payment Complete'.

johnnyb0y
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: E-cheques ? Not my scene Reply with quote

Dear John Goodwin,

This email confirms that you have paid PocketGPSWorld.com Ltd (accounts@pocketgpsworld.com) £19.00 GBP using PayPal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Payment Details

Transaction ID: 2SV7blahblahblah0172W
Item Price: 19.00 GBP
Total: £19.00 GBP
Order Description: PocketGPSWorld.com annual subscription
Item/Product Number: 2202
Invoice ID: 129310
Buyer: John Goodwin

Business: PocketGPSWorld.com Ltd
Contact Email: accounts@pocketgpsworld.com

If you have questions about the delivery and tracking of your purchased item or service, please contact PocketGPSWorld.com Ltd at accounts@pocketgpsworld.com.

And therein, I rest my case m'lud.

The tone of the last post should have conveyed my frustration at the whole process. I'm sure there was no rudeness intended. Thanks for your post but I've only ever used 'standard' PayPal and never used e-cheques. I saw the description on the website warning about a possible 8-day delay.

My question remains unanswered and my inbox is strangely silent ;-)

Hello to a fellow Suttonian by the way, I'm in Wallington.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a look at your paypal account and see if was paid by echeque. this is normally the problem in 90% of cases. as its a bankholiday weekend maybe some folks have gone away for the weekend.
even if you had paid by echeque you would still receive that email

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
andydigital44
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason for 2 sign up process's is because PGPSworld allows people to just join the forums alone if they so wish and there is no charge for this. If you want Full membership with access to the camera database and other dedicated subscriber forum sections then this has a separate process which you pay for.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This email confirms that you have paid PocketGPSWorld.com Ltd (accounts@pocketgpsworld.com) £19.00 GBP using PayPal.

Quote:
If you are an existing PayPal customer and do not elect to pay by credit card you therefore elect to pay by a transfer from an existing PayPal account - this transfer takes the form of a virtual cheque, called an eCheque.

All those that are able to use a credit card get instant access.

The rule of thumb is, if you have used PayPal and haven't paid by credit card then you have paid by eCheque.

Quote:
If you used eCheque we would not have received your payment immediately. Funds will only be received once cleared through the banking system. As soon as payment clears (usually up to 8 working days, but sometimes longer - we have had reports of up to 14 days clearance) you will receive your membership details automatically.

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your payment is currently showing as pending so it is likely an e-cheque as others have mentioned.

if you log into your paypal account and view the transaction details it should state this.

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: E-cheques ? Not my scene Reply with quote

johnnyb0y wrote:
And therein, I rest my case m'lud.

The tone of the last post should have conveyed my frustration at the whole process. I'm sure there was no rudeness intended. Thanks for your post but I've only ever used 'standard' PayPal and never used e-cheques. I saw the description on the website warning about a possible 8-day delay.

A simple check of your PayPal account would have revealed that you have paid by eCheque:

Quote:

This is something we cannot control. As soon as payment is credited to us by PayPal your account will be activated automatically.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Paid by PayPal, confirmed. Where's my data ? Reply with quote

johnnyb0y wrote:
I have just joined.

Registered as johnnyb0y. Subscribed (separate process for some inexplicable reason) and paid £19 via my PayPal account. Received confirmation from PayPal.

There will be no need to ASK if your payment has been received, or when it is expected to be received. On the left of this (and every) page is a box entitled Members Area (£2). At the bottom of that box it says
Quote:
Your subscription expires in 302 days. Click Here to extend your subscription now.
Actually, that's roughly what it says about my membership - yours will say something different, but it WILL have an expiry time once you have achieved membership. When you see something there, you can then try getting the cameras download wrong and coming back to complain about that. But complain nicely next time - I'm a daft, toothless, fat, old man of 67 going on 68 and I find it so easy I could tell you how to do it in my sleep (for a Tom Tom device, that is). AND I'VE NEVER RTFM!

We've seen this problem before, but not so frequently with such an unfortunate approach from the affected wannabee member.

If you've been
Quote:
in an online world I've been lucky to have been part of for 13 years
it's a shame other online worlds haven't taught you about Search. Stick with us son - we'll help you out where all those other useless sites haven't! Laughing Fortunately I don't have your trouble - I'm too old to bother with any other websites, so this one taught me all I know. Did you know this is one of the top 0.00000 something % websites in the whole world, ever and ever amen? That means zillions of happy visitors and users - Come in please Darren - tell us the figures again - I found them beyond my grasp last time you told us.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
johnnyb0y
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Thanks to everyone for their patient replies Reply with quote

Never my intention to annoy anyone, I was just desparate to get hold of the camera database before my trip to Newquay.

All that sea air seems to have helped to clear the cobwebs and I've just gone through all the comments / replies posted.

I did indeed double check PayPal, but was confused since I'd never had trouble before and stuff gets paid from my bank account direct. However, when I logged in - it did indeed say the dreaded word e-cheque ! Turned out that the original Mastercard on the account was expired on 04/2007 and even though I received the email from PayPal saying it had been paid, I had no reason to believe otherwise. Perhaps PayPal should have sent a further email saying there was a problem, but I wasn't notified.

Attempted a payment just now, hope it goes through ok.

Once again, thanks for not blowing my head off and taking the time and effort to reply everyone. A salutory lesson learnt, I shall now go and hang my head in shame ...

Regards

JB
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it's all sorted, as you will discover, eCheques are the bane of our lives, and you're not the first to complain but there isn't much we can do about it Smile
johnnyb0y
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: I totally agree about PayPal and their smelly echeques ;-) Reply with quote

I would have to agree, it's out of your hands and you have no control of the situation.

PayPal need to ensure that their customers are fully aware of any problems with their account, it was all transparent to me and I didn't know there was a problem until some kind soul suggested I check my PayPal account.

Thanks again.

Regards

JB
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Paid by PayPal, confirmed. Where's my data ? Reply with quote

Thanks for your understanding johnnyb0y and welcome to the forums.

DennisN wrote:

Did you know this is one of the top 0.00000 something % websites in the whole world, ever and ever amen? That means zillions of happy visitors and users - [b]Come in please Darren - tell us the figures again[/b

We're in the top 0.01% of visited websites... not top 1%, but top 10% of 1% 8O
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I totally agree about PayPal and their smelly echeques ; Reply with quote

johnnyb0y wrote:
PayPal need to ensure that their customers are fully aware of any problems with their account, it was all transparent to me and I didn't know there was a problem until some kind soul suggested I check my PayPal account.

So all's well that gathers no moss in glass houses. Welcome. By the way, I just did a thingy with Amazon, wherein their details (using the same card as before) included "Card expiry date 06/09". (I try to avoid internet buying, but there's no arguing with a 2GB SD card for £9.95 - only the £3.50 P&P they charge!). Maybe PayPal should at least display that little snippet?

And robbrady Stop it! - I know it's 0.0 something, (a hundredth of a thingy) but you should say how many zillions a month and how many extra zillions at times of Sea Bits.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Membership Sign-Up Problems? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: